News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68' interior color change - Black to Pearl White

Started by Nickrc3, December 23, 2021, 09:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickrc3

Finishing up a 'nut & bolt' restoration on my 68' Dodge Charger and shall be changing the interior color from the original black to pearl white. I've completed both front buckets by re-upholstering with Legendary products. Very happy with the fit and quality of the seat covers and their upholstery kit(s).

Today, I starting playing with the SEM vinyl products to observe what obstacles I may encounter with changing the original interior components from black to the 68' pearl white. I've got the four armrests, front doors/rear upper pads, rear window molding, and headliner trim. Front windshield trim remains black.

I must say, I am so impressed with the SEM spray products and now, the overall finish. The color matches exceptionally well and the prep w/application was actually simple.
Started with one rear armrest and as instructed, thoroughly cleaned with their solvent prep, then applied thin coats of the plastic adhesive product, followed by the #15103 Color Coat. This resulted in a finish than O.K., however, it did not have the shimmering pearl effect which the seat covers exhibit.
Several years back , I purchased a can of OER 'pearl white' enamel, so I decided to shoot a light coat on top to see if this would enhance the appearance.
Boy, did it ever and wow, it's perfect match!  :cheers:
So, the only question to remain is durability. After a couple days of curing, I'll give the armrest the 'scratch' test and see if the finish holds up. If susceptible to scratches, maybe I'll try another coat of a matte auto clear for that hard shell finish... 

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

b5blue

I used the OER B5 Blue in a rattle can and it's worked well.  :2thumbs:

375instroke

I sprayed a set of green '68 seats with white SEM, and they looked great, even down in the pleats.  Held up fine for the few years I drove it.  Couldn't tell they were sprayed.