News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It worked!

Started by b5blue, January 22, 2022, 08:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

For years I've heard of extracting a pilot bushing by packing it with grease and pounding something the size of the center hole to have the grease push the bushing out. In a pinch today I found a 1/2" drive ratchet handle that fit and using a grease gun filled the cavity. Half a dozen shots refilling and BINGO bushing out!  :lol:

AKcharger

GreenMachine

Didn't work for me last year when I tried it for the first time. I used a socket with a dime taped to the end. Pounded on it several times and all it did was made the dime concave. So now I'm out a dime too. Ended up using a cold chisel, took about 5 minutes.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

John_Kunkel

From my own experience, and that of others, the grease packing trick works sometimes and sometimes not. I believe it works best if the bushing is not fully seated in the crank counterbore and the grease pressure has an end surface to bear on.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

66FBCharger

It didn't work for me. I had to cut the bushing in several places, then split it with a chisel to remove it.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Nacho-RT74

why just don thread in a bolt and pull it out ?

two options for this:

thread in and simply pull or...

threat in up to the crank hole end and keep threading in... it could be pulled out like a nut through the bolt threads
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html