News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Air Compressor rebuild...With pictures

Started by AKcharger, January 31, 2022, 09:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

If your compressor is dead or dying it's cheap and easy to fix. I thought my 18 Y/O compressor finally had it after it wouldn't build more than 20psi. Before I tossed it I checked and seems the repair kits was only $30. Tank was good, motor good so thought I'd give it a try, took about 10 min and back in action!

Kit is a new piston ring, cylinder and seals

Todd Wilson

Good to know! Where did you get the parts from? I have a tired old pancake fleetwood I need to rebuild!

Todd

AKcharger

Quote from: Todd Wilson on January 31, 2022, 09:13:33 PM
Good to know! Where did you get the parts from? I have a tired old pancake fleetwood I need to rebuild!

Todd

ereplacementparts.com Price good shipping cost and time acceptable

b5blue

Did my Craftsman a few years back also.  :2thumbs:

69 OUR/TEA

Good rebuild , but those oil less compressors are loud little f*****s !!!! I had a brand new Craftsman ( 1994 ) 5hp 60 gallon , it didn't make a year with sanding dust / paint overspray in the air !!!! Rod was ready to explode on it , ntm so freakin loud if in your work area !!! Sears warrantied , rebuilt it to brand new , and then I sold it right away and got a 6.5 hp 80 gallon 2 stage .........still have it today !!! 27 years old and still kicking !! Coleman Powermate Black Max from Sams club $599 back in the day .

AKcharger

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on April 11, 2022, 04:38:58 PM
Good rebuild , but those oil less compressors are loud little f*****s !!!!

lol, true, I always wear ear protection when I have it running

XH29N0G

I have an off the wall question.

I have been modifying these compressors to try to use them to pump gas in through a tube into an air tank that is valved off.

I took a compressor head like the first picture and tapped a hole to make it like the compressor head in the second picture

I have two questions.  Do any of you know of oil free compressor models that are already tapped like in the second attachment?
I want to keep the compressed gas cool, and the compression process heats the gas. Do you think it would be difficult to make a head that was water cooled so the gas stayed cool?

These aren't car questions.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

b5blue

XH29N0G

Took me a little bit.  gas (like air) rather than gasoline (which would be interesting - I am sure)

Or maybe it protects us. 

426HemiChick

Quote from: XH29N0G on April 15, 2022, 07:52:14 PM
Took me a little bit.  gas (like air) rather than gasoline (which would be interesting - I am sure)

Hi XH29N0G,                16 April 2022

Why? What Gas? What Pressures? Many other Questions.

Do not mess with Acetylene and numerous other gasses. Never lay an Acetylene cylinder on its side; always leave it standing vertical with the valve up.

Buy what you need from a reputable dealer.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

XH29N0G

Its just air.  I am looking for a cheap way to collect air for chemical analysis.  Diving compressors have been used for this purpose but are expensive.  I bought a small piston compressor did some tests and it seems to work fine.  I tapped an NPT threaded fitting into the pump head and plugged the inlet vents so I could take air from a hose or tube. 

Or maybe it protects us. 

b5blue

426HemiChick

Quote from: XH29N0G on April 17, 2022, 11:46:17 AM
Its just air.  I am looking for a cheap way to collect air for chemical analysis.  Diving compressors have been used for this purpose but are expensive.  I bought a small piston compressor did some tests and it seems to work fine.  I tapped an NPT threaded fitting into the pump head and plugged the inlet vents so I could take air from a hose or tube. 

Hi XH29N0G,            18 April 2022     TAX DAY UGH

Glad it's something that isn't dangerous.

Happy hunting for what you need.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court