News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

$990,000.00 Superbird

Started by 69hemidaytona, January 31, 2022, 10:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

426HemiChick

Hi 69hemidaytona,                  03 February 2022

We were able to see the video. If that car is the car we saw for sale (see our original thread) at a high end dealer's store close to Cleveland Ohio, it's a phony Hemi Daytona. Read what we wrote about it. Not saying that car is the same car we saw but it sure looks like it.

What's it worth? Maybe $75K. Look underneath and look for the Torque Boxes, which are on all Hemi cars of that era. They didn't exist on the car we saw. Spoke to the dealer who tried to explain away their absence with a bullshit story that Chrysler quit putting them on after 68. We just happened to have had a 68, 69 and 70 Hemi car; they all had them.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

69hemidaytona

It's definitely a real all matching numbers Hemi Daytona. It just finished getting a Roger Gibson restoration. It's almost identical to your car in colors and options. I wonder if inflation is going to bring the values of these cars higher. The museum it's at did that tick tok video. Here's a little bit longer one. I'll be updating the restoration thread with many more detailed photos in the future.

https://youtu.be/1hq66ta1S1A

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on February 03, 2022, 11:42:19 PM
It's definitely a real all matching numbers Hemi Daytona. It just finished getting a Roger Gibson restoration. It's almost identical to your car in colors and options. I wonder if inflation is going to bring the values of these cars higher. The museum it's at did that tick tok video. Here's a little bit longer one. I'll be updating the restoration thread with many more detailed photos in the future.

https://youtu.be/1hq66ta1S1A

Hi 69hemidaytona,                04 February 2022

Since it was done by Roger Gibson, it's a perfect car; there's no one better. Yes, it looks much like Bob's Daytona. I would guess it should bring at least $1.5 - 2.0 mil in the current collector car climate.

The Daytona we were referring to ended up on the east coast. There are folks on this site that know of the car. There is info in our original thread about it. Here's a quote from that thread:

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 06, 2019, 04:06:36 AM
not sure if this is the car you're talking about ......

"Best of Show" was in Mentor, Ohio (on RT 2 west of Cleveland) & "merged" (or some other appropriate term) with "RK Motors" in Charlotte, NC

they had what is probably best known as "the J.C.Witney or Ed Ryan HEMI Daytona" XX29J9B381538, also a V2 automatic w/4.10s - not aware of it missing its rear "torque boxes", but YES, it should have them

I'm from east of Cleveland, OH but currently live in Las Vegas, NV - I thought you said you were in TX, but maybe I was mistaken & got mixed up with Troy's post  :scratchchin:

If you go to our original thread, which is currently buried 8 pages deep, you can find more info there. Don't have a clue as to where the car currently resides. Wouldn't surprise me if it has been "Upgraded" with "Torque Boxes" by now. There's a possible way to find the old photos from that web site and that's the "Wayback Machine," which saves records of just about all web sites. I've found stuff I posted almost 20 years ago on obscure sites. The nice thing about the "Wayback Machine" is, whatever was on a web site at the time it recorded it, it is saved permanently and cannot be changed. So the photos we saw should still be there just as they were when we first saw them. We spent much time reviewing the photos to verify they were missing. The subsequent call to the business owner and his BS answer verified the torque boxes were in fact missing and should have been there.

Take Care.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

69hemidaytona

I remember seeing that car on ebay a number of years ago. I wasn't aware that it was missing it's torque boxes. The VIN shows that it is a real Hemi Daytona. I wonder if it was a rebody or maybe the factory forgot to install them. I saw a 440 Daytona once that had the torque boxes. The owner was convinced he owned a Hemi Daytona that the factory put a 440 in by mistake. He also believed that the VIN was in error because it had an L instead of a J.

69_500

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on February 04, 2022, 03:26:02 PM
I remember seeing that car on ebay a number of years ago. I wasn't aware that it was missing it's torque boxes. The VIN shows that it is a real Hemi Daytona. I wonder if it was a rebody or maybe the factory forgot to install them. I saw a 440 Daytona once that had the torque boxes. The owner was convinced he owned a Hemi Daytona that the factory put a 440 in by mistake. He also believed that the VIN was in error because it had an L instead of a J.

the car that is a 440 car with torque boxes is going to be coming up for sale soon. its a 440 4 speed car.

Is the one I the video your car (69hemidaytona)? The old Duane's Auto car right?

69hemidaytona

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on February 04, 2022, 03:26:02 PM

Hi 69hemidaytona,                04 February 2022

Did his Daytona have the Hemi name plates on the doors? Chrysler did not have a stellar reputation for quality control in those days.

Our 68 Hemi RR came with a double struck character line on the right rear fender. When we had it repainted in 1969 the body-man repaired the Double Strike; can't tell it ever had a problem.

At one time we did consider having Roger restore our Daytona but came to the conclusion it wouldn't be practical. I'll be 82 this year, the wait time in line and the time for the restoration would eat up a lot of the time I have left. Not practical, she needed a good new home.

We're glad your Daytona isn't the one we saw on the aforementioned site. The business owner had a ready made BS story which led us to believe it was a phony. Your hypothesis of a re-body could be a possibility. We did find a totaled Daytona in Alabama back in the early 80's. We bought the front fenders. Don't recall what engine it originally had. When we saw it, the engine was gone and so were most other parts.

Just a simple question: Are you going to drive your Daytona on the highways?

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

69hemidaytona

It's probably been 15 years since I saw that car but I believe it had Hemi door emblems. I'm guessing he added those. I'm sure it was a 440 car that somehow had torque boxes inadvertently installed. Roger says he remembers talking to you about your car. You're right about it taking a long time to get a restoration completed at his shop. When I got on his list It was a several year wait. The first invoice I got is from May 2004. I just picked the car up last week. It was mostly my fault that it was there that long. I would continually run low on funds and he would have to shelve it. By the time I was ready to resume he would be neck deep into other projects. That cycle happened several times. The good thing about that is I was able to find a ton of NOS parts during all of those years. I drove the car a few miles on reproduction tires. Now that it's on date code correct NOS tires I won't be driving the car.

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on February 04, 2022, 11:07:19 PM
It's probably been 15 years since I saw that car but I believe it had Hemi door emblems. I'm guessing he added those. I'm sure it was a 440 car that somehow had torque boxes inadvertently installed. Roger says he remembers talking to you about your car. You're right about it taking a long time to get a restoration completed at his shop. When I got on his list It was a several year wait. The first invoice I got is from May 2004. I just picked the car up last week. It was mostly my fault that it was there that long. I would continually run low on funds and he would have to shelve it. By the time I was ready to resume he would be neck deep into other projects. That cycle happened several times. The good thing about that is I was able to find a ton of NOS parts during all of those years. I drove the car a few miles on reproduction tires. Now that it's on date code correct NOS tires I won't be driving the car.

Hi 69hemidaytona,                      05 February 2022

You have something many people would like to have but never will and you can be proud of what you have accomplished. Your Hemi Daytona is one of the 37 Hemi Daytona's that were ever built/Shipped. in our opinion they are the most beautiful and outrageous automobiles to ever grace this planet. You are one of the lucky few. Take good care of her, she is a real Jewel.

We think you are doing the right thing by not driving her; she's too rare and too valuable. If we wanted a Daytona to drive, we'd buy a clone.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Edited by Christine 05 February 2022 - Note:
The sentence in Bold Italic in the first paragraph above has been edited for accuracy based upon subsequent posts by authoritative members of this site.

odcics2

That "70" production figure was extrapolated in 1979 by using the known amount of Hemi Daytonas at that time.
It was printed in Special Interest Auto Magazine and taken as gospel.

The real production number is far lower. Someone with the entire shipping list can confirm the real number.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

69hemidaytona

Quote from: odcics2 on February 05, 2022, 08:54:42 AM
That "70" production figure was extrapolated in 1979 by using the known amount of Hemi Daytonas at that time.

The real production number is far lower. Someone with the entire shipping list can confirm the real number.
Board member Mopar John is working on pinning down the exact number. I think it's closer to 40 Hemi Daytonas built with about 35 remaining.

69_500

I will have to double check but from the top of my head I was thinking that the number is 38 Hemi Daytona's. And is the break down 22 automatics, and 16 4 speeds?

Mopar John

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on February 05, 2022, 10:20:38 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on February 05, 2022, 08:54:42 AM

Board member Mopar John is working on pinning down the exact number. I think it's closer to 40 Hemi Daytonas built with about 35 remaining.
Maybe long time forum member would be more correct?
Recently I have been working on "MY" HEMI Daytona list.
Here are a couple of things that got out long ago:
1) The Terry Roellofs car from Michigan was double entered because of a typo in the vin!
   It is #41 on the shipment list vin # XX29J9B409040.
    Years ago some vin chaser listed it as XX29J9B404040!
2) There were a couple of 440 L code cars that never were proven to be HEMI cars!
3) The 2 1968 Charger 500 prototype vins somehow got listed as 1969 HEMI Daytonas!
   Those vins are XX29J8B360711 owned by Jerry Service in Michigan and XX29J8B360719 another rumored prototype?
   If you move those vins to 1969 they are in an A body vin sequence!
So with all that in mind I come up with 40 possible vins with 3 or 4 never found as of late.
Then there are the 2 big Willie cars known to be gone, 1 stolen and never recovered.
Then recently the HEMI engine from XX29J9B414639 was reported to have been burnt and parted out
with the engine now in a original 440 Daytona.
So there is a solid 32 known to be around.
I have about a 50/50 mix on transmissions and am working on old newsletters and reunion pictures to firm this up!
There is a list on page 19 of this forum by member 6bblgt that I think is very accurate also!
MJ

69_500

Shipment list, I just went through it. There are 37 listed on the shipment list.

69_500

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,               05 February 2022

Thanks for clearing up the data on how many Hemi Daytona's were actually "built/shipped/still exist." Your data gives new meaning to the Rarity of these wonderful cars.

We updated and annotated our earlier post to reflect your research efforts.

Thanks Again.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

held1823

the total hemi Daytona production topic is worthy of its own thread, but it has always puzzled me why those in the know make such a big  secret of the number and the various colors/transmissions/etc. there is nothing about the ship list that discloses anything personal in regards to any owner, past or present.

this screenshot is where I left off researching the subject long ago, and there is absolutely nothing guaranteed accurate about it. if you see something inaccurate, point it out. if you can fill in the blanks, feel free to do so.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Montreal Wing Car

Quote from: held1823 on February 06, 2022, 01:48:46 AM
the total hemi Daytona production topic is worthy of its own thread, but it has always puzzled me why those in the know make such a big  secret of the number and the various colors/transmissions/etc. there is nothing about the ship list that discloses anything personal in regards to any owner, past or present.

this screenshot is where I left off researching the subject long ago, and there is absolutely nothing guaranteed accurate about it. if you see something inaccurate, point it out. if you can fill in the blanks, feel free to do so.

414639 was indeed scrapped early on, only the engine remains...
414638 was/is an automatic, with console, as seen in this video... https://youtu.be/RlCk5KoCDF8
Seems it it still under restoration in Western Canada

6bblgt

been a while since HEMI Daytona "list" was brought up - it does deserve an old HEMI Daytona thread renewed "TTT" or a new thread
(the "Petty Blue" Superbird discussion needs a renew also, IIRC taxspeaker's recent J995xx Superbird isn't on there)

the 37 VS. 40 VS. 70 was discussed in the "original" 426HEMIChick Daytona thread - but, YES a new thread is warranted

I have 40 VS Ernie's 41 -------------------- what is 9B414623 ??  HEMI or 440HP ???

426HemiChick

Hi  Folks,                06 February 2022

These latest updates indicate Hemi Daytona's are much rarer than originally thought. We remember back in the 80's, before Algore invented the internet, the common wisdom was 70 Hemi Daytona's. Now it seems the wrapper has come off that old mythical figure. This should cause a significant upward push in value for Hemi Daytona's.

Now, could someone explain why a 1970 Hemi Super-Bird sold for $990K??? Seems counter intuitive to us unless it's an indicator of a huge upward trend in this market segment.

Personally, we would rather have a Daytona; OK, so we had one. It's still the best looking car to ever grace the highways.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Tuco

Quote from: 426HemiChick on February 06, 2022, 11:25:51 PM

Now, could someone explain why a 1970 Hemi Super-Bird sold for $990K???

Two reasons:
Barret Jackson
Television Cameras.

Many a buyer wakes up in Scottsdale sitting on the edge of the hotel bed fighting a raging hangover and thinking "Oh crap!!!  What have I done?!"

426HemiChick

Quote from: Tuco on February 07, 2022, 09:37:15 AM

Two reasons:
Barret Jackson
Television Cameras.

Many a buyer wakes up in Scottsdale sitting on the edge of the hotel bed fighting a raging hangover and thinking "Oh crap!!!  What have I done?!"

Hi Tuco,                07 February 2022

Like your screen name. reminds me of the beautiful Toucan, a resident bird of the neotropics.

Think you have a valid point. Alcohol does have its way with human decisions. I'm sure it has led many to have a bad case of "Buyer's Remorse." Whomever the lucky new owner is, set a record for Super Birds.

We are sure the "Seller" is rejoicing all the way to the bank.

Anyone know what the seller's net was?

Thanks, and Take Care.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                  07 February 2022

Have a question: Whatever happened to "Creative Industries?"

Maybe someone with indepth knowledge of Creative could start a thread about the history of the company. They sure were and are relevant to Aero cars and Chrysler / MOPAR.

Just a thought. Maybe someone has already done did it.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Tuco

I believe BJ charges a 15% seller fee. Also they charge for consignment/listing fee of typically a couple thousand.

So the seller should have walked away with about $839,500 give or take.

Not bad!

Aero426

Quote from: Tuco on February 07, 2022, 11:57:13 AM
I believe BJ charges a 15% seller fee. Also they charge for consignment/listing fee of typically a couple thousand.

So the seller should have walked away with about $839,500 give or take.

Not bad!

Hammered at 900k   Buyer pays 10% ($90,000).  Seller pays 8%  ($72,000)  net to seller $828k.    Translation: the house always wins.