News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 water pump- heater hose location

Started by NHCharger, February 09, 2022, 07:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

I'm running a 1978 440 motor home engine in my Daytona clone. The water pump has three plugs on the top and a fourth down lower. When I checked to see why I had no heat/defrost I found I had no circulation. Does anyone know which two outlets to use without having to try every combination? These two that I have connected provided no circulation.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Nacho-RT74

The one on down lower is used for sure... can't recall which one is the other one.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

NHCharger

Doing some additional research last night. This set up is for a A/C car.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

b5blue

All I know is what I told you has worked on my 440 for 26 years. You can get a threaded pipe and hardware store fitting to adapt. (Plug the 2 other lines.)  :scratchchin:  Yes when done the lower fitting blocks off that one bolt. 

John_Kunkel

All of the red arrows are hot coolant out (pressure), the yellow arrow is return (suction)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

A383Wing

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 10, 2022, 12:08:32 PM
All of the red arrows are hot coolant out (pressure), the yellow arrow is return (suction)

Yup....take one of those top hoses that you have connected to the pump housing and move it down below

Bryan

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

Ok. One more question. As you can see from my pic the plug has a recessed allen socket. I had the correct size but it wouldn't budge. Tried some heat, no dice. One last try and the allen socket stripped out. I decided to drill it out in place. So last question. Judging from JK's pic, the lower connection should be the same size as the three upper holes, 5/8"x18.
amazing how a simple fix turns into a CF.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

A383Wing

I have always thought they were 1/2' pipe thread....I have never seen a 5/8" thread on much of anything

Bryan

70 sublime

Not sure what year your car is but on a 70 Charger they use two differnt sizes of rubber heater hose because the heater core has two different sizes of pipes on it
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Hemidog

John_Kunkel

Quote from: A383Wing on February 10, 2022, 10:56:55 PM
I have always thought they were 1/2' pipe thread....

Yes, 1/2" NPT. '70 and later cars had a combo of 3/8" and 1/2" NPT...the lower being 1/2".
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

NHCharger

Had to buy a 3/8" NPT tap. Got the nipple hooked up to the lower connection and plugged the extra one above. And I have heat for the first time in the cabin.
Thanks for all your help.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

b5blue