News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger quarter extension gap

Started by mopar4don, February 10, 2022, 08:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

I don't think I should have a 1/4 gap under the bottom edge of the extension should I?

How do I fix this? Tap the metal out? Add filler metal?

mopar4don

The deck lid (gray) gaps are in the ball park

pic1 shows the pass side gap to deck filler

pic2 driver side

pic3 pass side

pic4 driver side gap to deck filler

mopar4don

more pics of the problem

mopar4don

The extension fits great along the outer perimeter (NO GAPS)
The problem is the gap under the extension.

cdr

The factory gap of the deck lid & the dutchman is VERY wide, scoot the lid out to line it up with the 1/4 extension, if you need pics let me know
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

mopar4don

Quote from: cdr on February 10, 2022, 12:29:40 PM
The factory gap of the deck lid & the dutchman is VERY wide, scoot the lid out to line it up with the 1/4 extension, if you need pics let me know

That's not my problem. The problem I have is approx 1/4 gap at the bottom of the extension. And right now when I close the deck lid, it overhangs the tailpanel by that same 1/4 (look at the 2 pics in reply #2)

I'm not sure but my tail panel may be out of position.

Could I get a dimension from the deck filler to the outer edge of the tail panel measuring in the center of the trunk opening?
Like in these pics.

cdr

mine has the trim on it , but it looks like its 31 1/8,,,,, from the bottom of the edge on the dutch to the outside of the lip for the weather strip I get 28.5
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

mopar4don

Quote from: cdr on February 10, 2022, 04:44:20 PM
mine has the trim on it , but it looks like its 31 1/8,,,,, from the bottom of the edge on the dutch to the outside of the lip for the weather strip I get 28.5

I am getting 30 3/4" and 28 1/2"

cdr

I will add this, the tail panel goes over the 1/4 panel end IIRC

mopar4don

Quote from: cdr on February 14, 2022, 11:10:40 AM

Yup did that.

Just wondering, is membership falling off? Maybe it's me but it kinda seems like people are abandoning this forum. I HOPE I AM WRONG!

cdr

Quote from: mopar4don on February 14, 2022, 11:15:11 AM

Yup did that.

Just wondering, is membership falling off? Maybe it's me but it kinda seems like people are abandoning this forum. I HOPE I AM WRONG!

It would seem that way :(  ,,, is this the original tail panel ? or aftermarket

cdr

I will get you some pictures of mine shortly

mopar4don

Quote from: cdr on February 14, 2022, 11:42:44 AM
I will get you some pictures of mine shortly

It's the original tail panel just patched

JimShine

Yes. Message boards have been obsolete for a good 10 years now. People seem to prefer to talk about this stuff on social media platforms.

mopar4don

social media has no history that you can look through. And to much blah blah my opinion

JimShine

Quote from: mopar4don on February 14, 2022, 11:52:23 AM
social media has no history that you can look through. And to much blah blah my opinion

I totally agree. But my preferences do not shape the world. They stay busy just enough for guys like us to stick around until they serve no purpose and we move on. Picking up the odd newbie from time to time to make it appear relevant. It is not just this hobby. It is most of them these days.

cdr

cdr

cdr

cdr

cdr

cdr

cdr

mopar4don

Thanks Charlie,
I am within 1/8 of your dimensions and when the deck lid is closed it looks just like your pic. Flush to slightly over hanging the trim.

cdr

could the studs on the end cap be bottoming out , they have a step in them, might need to hammer in around the holes that the studs go through, I know mine looked counter sunk in that entire inner area

cdr

cdr

mopar4don

Quote from: cdr on February 14, 2022, 02:10:11 PM
could the studs on the end cap be bottoming out , they have a step in them, might need to hammer in around the holes that the studs go through, I know mine looked counter sunk in that entire inner area

I saw that larger diameter boss would be close to hitting the metal, I will double check. and thanks for the pics

70 sublime

I got pretty much the same numbers Charlie did
These are from my 69
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

70 sublime

This second set is from my 70 project but all these parts have been replaced and I have not tried on the quarter caps yet
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

hemi-hampton

Yup did that.

I use to come in here alot but not so much anymore due to too many Idiots & Assclowns in here that just want to stir up trouble & provide no useful information, just want to be Instigators. The Moderators should permanently Ban these useless trouble makers instead of just deleting there insulting post & giving them a Warning or temporary banning them for a week. I'm on other websites & never seen a more unfriendly Bunch that instead of Welcoming newcomers they lynch mob them with insults & chase them out of here. Like the guy Advertising his Wing Car in here for sale that got ran out of here. Not cool but acceptable in here. What a shame. LEON.

orange383

Don, I noticed you appear to have the extensions taped on. Have you put the nuts on the back as well?
I'm just wondering as if you haven't perhaps tightening the nuts will pull the quarter extensions in.

I would go and check mine but I won't be home until the weekend. My car is all new sheet metal at the back but I don't recall having this issue.

mopar4don

Quote from: hemi-hampton on February 14, 2022, 07:18:09 PM

I use to come in here alot but not so much anymore due to too many Idiots & Assclowns in here that just want to stir up trouble & provide no useful information, just want to be Instigators. The Moderators should permanently Ban these useless trouble makers instead of just deleting there insulting post & giving them a Warning or temporary banning them for a week. I'm on other websites & never seen a more unfriendly Bunch that instead of Welcoming newcomers they lynch mob them with insults & chase them out of here. Like the guy Advertising his Wing Car in here for sale that got ran out of here. Not cool but acceptable in here. What a shame. LEON.

I have noticed this also.

Quote from: orange383 on February 15, 2022, 08:34:20 AM
Don, I noticed you appear to have the extensions taped on. Have you put the nuts on the back as well?
I'm just wondering as if you haven't perhaps tightening the nuts will pull the quarter extensions in.

I would go and check mine but I won't be home until the weekend. My car is all new sheet metal at the back but I don't recall having this issue.
Hey that's a good suggestion, I will check it using the nuts

cdr

be careful Don, the studs break off VERY easy

orange383

Quote from: cdr on February 15, 2022, 02:13:52 PM
be careful Don, the studs break off VERY easy

Hmm. I kind of wish I hadn't said anything now. I hope nothing breaks Don!

hemi-hampton

Here's a pic of my unrestored original. It kinda looks like it had some seam sealer filling the gap. If I still had it I'd take a much closer look at it for you. LEON.

mopar4don

Quote from: hemi-hampton on February 15, 2022, 07:20:05 PM
Here's a pic of my unrestored original. It kinda looks like it had some seam sealer filling the gap. If I still had it I'd take a much closer look at it for you. LEON.

That does look like seam sealer!  :o

Very interesting!  Has anyone else seen this?

orange383

I've just had a look at my quarter extensions and the passenger side fit perfect without any fixing nuts. The driver's side looked the same as yours. It looked to have a bit of twist to it compared to the othe side so I twisted it back and gave it a tap with a soft hammer over a block of wood. It took very little to move it and it fits nice now!

Ryan

mine looked similar to yours, though not as bad.
You need to get the tailpanel to move out towords the extension caps. I was able to get a long heavy dolly and a few carefully placed wacks make everything better.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

orange383

Quote from: Ryan on February 27, 2022, 03:02:33 PM
mine looked similar to yours, though not as bad.
You need to get the tailpanel to move out towords the extension caps. I was able to get a long heavy dolly and a few carefully placed wacks make everything better.

Looking at hemi-hamtons photo it kind of looks like it may have some hammer and dolly work in that area. Unless it's a trick of the light.

mopar4don

Thanks guys, I will get back to this problem soon, right now I am working on the hood.