News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 A/C Box removal/repair/install questions

Started by AKcharger, February 15, 2022, 07:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Yes there is a sticky about this above unfortunately all the photos I need are missing and post isn't useful
1) Request photos of R&I especially helpful are box in BARE DASH with no cluster or glove box
2) Tips tricks to get box out
3) what area is most susceptible to damage
4) is there any place that REPAINTS knobs? I don't like stickers

Thanks!

cdr

I took mine out with the dash still in the car, did a 69 the same., take out the seats & console
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

AKcharger

Quote from: cdr on February 15, 2022, 10:02:12 PM
I took mine out with the dash still in the car, did a 69 the same., take out the seats & console

Thanks Sir..yup, That's my plan,  did you get any pictures??

cdr

This was when I had the car all apart, later I had to pull the ac box after the dash was back in the car cause when I rebuilt the box I did not replace the heater core & it started leaking
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

cdr

AKcharger

CDR that is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

hmmmm So that one bracket and the firewall bolts are all that hold it in? I thought it attached to the dash too?

Thanks!

cdr

The bolts through the fire wall & that one strap

AKcharger

472 R/T SE

Dodge Don built an attachment to hold his dash so he could work on it outside of the car.  Perhaps contact him?

I've gutted several B bodies but only changed out one B and E body pad...'70.  E bodies sucked, lol.
I ground bottom and reused the rosettes and glued the dash vin tag & rosettes with the Challenger.  What a pita it was!

AKcharger

I got the box out, was easier than expected! I budgeted an entire day but had it all out in like 2 hours, hope the install goes that smooth

472 R/T SE

Quote from: AKcharger on May 19, 2022, 06:02:28 AM
I got the box out, was easier than expected! I budgeted an entire day but had it all out in like 2 hours, hope the install goes that smooth

My core spilled its guts in mine.  I've plugged the water pump nipples and still run the hoses to them.  A little sealant on top of plugged nipples holds the heater hoses in place.

This is a project I've put off...

euroZ06

Quesiton,

About that strap holding the system in place. Is it possible to tilt/raise the system up a bit on the interior side? My condensate is draining into the cabin (from the tray), so id like to raise the one side of the whole system.
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

AKcharger

Quote from: euroZ06 on May 25, 2022, 04:52:32 PM
Quesiton,

About that strap holding the system in place. Is it possible to tilt/raise the system up a bit on the interior side? My condensate is draining into the cabin (from the tray), so id like to raise the one side of the whole system.
[/quote

Yes and No. There is a little in the way of play/adjustment with the strap but remember the box is still firmly bolted to the firewall with 6 bolts so it really isn't going to change anything. I'm thinking it's a clog. If you just ran a wire through the drain that might work.