News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to sell a car safely

Started by dan m, February 26, 2022, 07:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan m

There will come a time when I will need to sell my1969 Charger 383 four speed white hat special. When dealing with an unknown potential buyer, what is the safest way to sell the car. For example, when would you allow the car to be test driven? Any red lights to watch for? Has anyone had a bad experience when trying to sell a valuable car?  Thanks.

b5blue

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum. I just sold my motorcycle on FB and we met at a bank parking lot first. (Certain they have cameras.) It gave us both a chance to check each other out. He gave me a cash deposit and we arranged final sale for the next day. 

70 sublime

When it comes time to sell not sure about letting any one test drive my car
Can take them for a test ride so they can see how it works
Total stranger just met kind of thing no they will not touch the keys till they have paid in full

If that blows a sale I am sure there will be a list of others hoping to buy
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

green69rt

They need to put some bucks on the line before You even meet.  Not  few dollars but some big bucks. Selling the car for $50000 they need to put down $5,000!!!

birdsandbees

They can drive it right after I have full payment that has cleared, same way I sell airplanes. I've seen too many cars and planes wrecked by prospective buyers that then walk away...
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Kern Dog

You don't let them test fly the airplanes just to see if they like it?   :smilielol:

426HemiChick

Quote from: dan m on February 26, 2022, 07:11:06 PM
There will come a time when I will need to sell my1969 Charger 383 four speed white hat special. When dealing with an unknown potential buyer, what is the safest way to sell the car. For example, when would you allow the car to be test driven? Any red lights to watch for? Has anyone had a bad experience when trying to sell a valuable car?  Thanks.

When you have a perspective buyer, let them know there are no test drives. If they are serious, have them wire the full amount to your account. Once the money is secured, give them the keys.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

b5blue

I have a very compact Ruger and a concealed carry license.  :scratchchin:

dan m

Thank you for your responses. I'm open to more tips if you have them, Being a senior, probably a good idea to have a family member involved also.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: birdsandbees on February 26, 2022, 11:07:39 PM
They can drive it right after I have full payment that has cleared, same way I sell airplanes. I've seen too many cars and planes wrecked by prospective buyers that then walk away...

I've sold three aircraft by taking the potential buyer for a flight...that way they can see the plane and its systems in operation. I do the same with cars, either I drive or let the buyer drive while I ride shotgun.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

426HemiChick

Quote from: b5blue on February 27, 2022, 09:37:58 AM
I have a very compact Ruger and a concealed carry license.  :scratchchin:

We also have a license and AZ is constitutional carry; we prefer to carry much larger sticks. They significantly remove the risk of returns.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

triple_green

Make sure you have cleared funds before you give them the title. If you don't know what this is ask your bank.

Not sure why a buyer would buy without taking for a test drive, but I would want to see their drivers license and go along on the test drive.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

paironines

Last two driving Chargers I've sold, the buyers never asked to drive nor did they. That's a serious buyer.

I'd entertain letting the buyer drive if we're just him and I. No way by himself or him and a buddy.

Seller sets the price and terms. If you want no test drives and a bank to bank transfer the right buyer will present himself.

426HemiChick

Quote from: triple_green on February 27, 2022, 12:43:28 PM
Make sure you have cleared funds before you give them the title. If you don't know what this is ask your bank.

Not sure why a buyer would buy without taking for a test drive, but I would want to see their drivers license and go along on the test drive.

Sometimes these rare cars have been in storage so long it would be downright dangerous to start them. A buyer who knows these cars can tell if the car is OK.

There's always risk, even walking across the street.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

dan m

Would you consider consigning your car to Barrett-Jackson or Mecum Auctions?

426HemiChick

Quote from: dan m on March 28, 2022, 10:40:45 AM
Would you consider consigning your car to Barrett-Jackson or Mecum Auctions?

Hi Dan,                 28 March 2022

Under most circumstances, No. That's for those with big money. You have to know how to play the game and have the money to waste in case you have a reserve on your car. It can get expensive.

I think if you have a desirable collector quality car, buyers will find you. Try Hemming's and Mopar Collector's Guide. If the cost of consigning your treasure to an auction is acceptable, then go ahead.

This year at the BJ spring auction a number of cars went for numbers way higher than most would have expected. $990K for a Hemi Super Bird; way beyond what many think it is worth. Next auction it's in will tell the tale.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

dan m

Thanks. I wish that I had a 426 Hemi in my Charger. Who Knew?

426HemiChick

Quote from: dan m on March 28, 2022, 08:35:50 PM
Thanks. I wish that I had a 426 Hemi in my Charger. Who Knew?

Hi Dan,              28 March 2022

If we had known, we'd have ordered several Hemi Daytona's and stored them away back in 1969. Hind sight is always 20/20.

If you have read our two threads and scattered posts, you will know we sold our Hemi Daytona to Bob Jennings, known as "taxspeaker" on this site. If you go to our current main thread, "426 Hemi Chicks Other Mopar's" you will see that we are having a new 572 inch Hemi built for our 68 Hemi Road Runner. It's being built by Tim Banning owner of FHO (For Hemi's Only). He's also going to rebuild our original 68 Road Runner's 426 Hemi. It will have all new high end racing internals but won't be a race motor; basically stock in performance. The RR will have two complete engine / transmission assemblies that can be swapped with about 2 hours of work.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Note: This post was edited by 426 Hemi Chicks 30 March 2022