News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C H E C K those steering box mounting bolts!

Started by Kern Dog, February 28, 2022, 09:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I went on a 185 mile trip on Saturday with our local car club. Some of the driving was on curvy roads, some was long stints of straight and narrow.
The steering response of the car was feeling numb. There will always be some free play in these Mopar power steering boxes even with a good rebuilt one from Firm Feel. That is what I have....a Stage 3 with Fast Ratio Pitman and Idler arms. Usually, the steering response is pretty sharp.
I had the wife saw the wheel back and forth while I looked at the linkage from underneath. The idler had some up and down movement at the K member but the steering box was flexing quite a bit.
Years ago, I welded in additional supports to reduce the chance of flex at the steering box mounting area so that was not the problem. It turns out that the mounting bolts had loosened up a bit.....they were all at least a full turn loose. I pulled them one by one and cleaned them with the wire wheel, then slathered them with Locktite and cranked them back in. For the idler, I put a thin washer in between the idler and K member and bolted it back up.
A test drive went well. The steering response was sharp like it used to be. I LOVE a free fix!

histoy

I had the steering box mounting bolts loosen up on my '64 Belvedere.  Ever since then I've used red Locktite on the threads, and I haven't had that problem again.

AKcharger

cdr

When I was taking my junk apart years ago mine was loose also
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Back N Black

I had the same issue about 6 months ago with my Dart. They were finger tight.

Kern Dog

My guess is that the wider the front tires and the more aggressive you turn, the greater the likelihood that these bolts will loosen up.

375instroke

Rebuilt my front end, gussets at box, reinforced at strut rod and LCA mounts, all clean metal and fasteners, torqued to spec, 100ft-lbs, and one came loose in a couple months.

Kern Dog

I have adopted the practice of using Locktite but I must have skipped it when I installed this steering chuck way back in 2003.