News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PLASTIGAGE checking rod and mains

Started by b5blue, March 13, 2022, 11:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I've yanked the "built" 440 and am looking for a light knock that I was hearing. After pulling #1 and #5 piston/rod I found very light wear so decided to Plastigage all the bearings. I'm thinking of swapping to 440 Source rods as I know these rods wile serviced at rebuild were flogged during drag race years.
  Pointers and advice on Plastigage use, thanks.   

WhiteOnGreen

Challenger340

Swapping Rods, unless it's removing "stock" Rods and replacing with "stock" Rods, should probably dictate getting the entire rotating assembly balanced ?
or at very least....
weigh both the small ends and big ends of the old Rods....  and then grinding/polishing the small and big ends of the new rods so they match the old rods weights ?

Plasti-gauge has a shelf life, make sure it is nice and soft/fresh to attain accurate readings ?
because,
the longer it sits on the shelf and dries out/hardens the less accurate the squish and reading ? Shelf life used to be 90 Days from the time the seal was broken in the Box of 100 Plasti-Gauge..... meaning if only 20-30 got sold in 90 days the rest were garbage.

Just my opinion....
but if it was a bearing giving you that 'light knock' you were hearing for whatever length of time ? It shouldn't be too hard to find.

You sure it wasn't Piston Slap ? Forged Pistons ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

b5blue

Link to 6 years ago on this build: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,122165.25.html
H147CP .060 are the pistons and it would be a stock for stock spec. swap. Thanks for the heads up on age of strips.  :2thumbs: The bore looks nice and pistons side coating shows light wear. More checking to come, this build can't have 10K on it. Thanks for the link Whiteongreen!

Challenger340

I'm curious, what was the Oil Pressure and with what weight of Oil ?
Thx

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 13, 2022, 11:22:22 AM
Plasti-gauge has a shelf life, make sure it is nice and soft/fresh to attain accurate readings ?

Haven't used Plastigage in years, ever since I learned to use micrometers...does the package have a date on it?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

Brad Penn 20/50 30LBS @ idle and no date on Plastigage.  :2thumbs: What is an effective piston top carbon cleaner?

Kern Dog

When it gets old, Plastigage will be brittle and crumble. Think of it like Licorice....

Challenger340

Quote from: b5blue on March 14, 2022, 06:10:34 PM
Brad Penn 20/50 30LBS @ idle and no date on Plastigage.  :2thumbs: What is an effective piston top carbon cleaner?

Mains

b5blue

metallicareload99

1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

b5blue

Sorry for the delay, I'm overhauling the car.

Challenger340