News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Improved Braking: Discs or Add Power Booster

Started by Neal_J, April 01, 2022, 12:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neal_J

Hi Folks:

I don't drive my 69 enough largely due to the manual drum brakes.  To resolve that, I'm weighing discs vs. adding a power booster.  The 318 car is largely original and I prefer to keep it that way.  I vaguely recall that discs won't fit under the 14" wheels and the cost of new wheels/tires/brakes is out of my price range.   Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks!~

c00nhunterjoe

I drove mine with manual drums for years without an issue to include drag racing. Never had an issue when they are setup and maintained. 
   That said, i have stock replacement discs on the front now after the drums were due for a total overhaul. Whole conversion was 400 bucks. It is manual brakes, still have no issues needing a power booster to stop it at 130 mph with light pedal effort at the drag strip.

Mike DC

Are you not driving the car because the brakes are physically tiring, or because the brakes are uncomfortably weak/fading?  What is the basic complaint?  A power booster won't make weak drum brakes feel any stronger.  A manual disc conversion won't make stiff brakes feel any softer. 

Neal_J

Great question.  The drum brakes require both feet to come to a stop from speed.

b5blue

You must have tiny legs.  :lol: Check condition of shoes and cylinders to be okay and add booster shown. You'll be fine. I've used my 70 Charger with every combo possible and you'll love that boost.  :2thumbs:

69hemibeep

Quote from: Neal_J on April 01, 2022, 08:25:18 PM
Great question.  The drum brakes require both feet to come to a stop from speed.
You probably have the wrong master cylinder! Does the lid bolt down or have a spring type wire holding it down?

Neal_J

Here's a photo of the master this morning.  Thanks for all the advise. 

b5blue

Yup just like mine. Pull the master forward and add the booster.  :2thumbs:

Mopar Nut

I have a complete Baer disc brake set up I just took off my 69 Charger that fit underneath my 14 inch front wheels if interested. I also have rear disc that I took off underneath my 15 inch wheels.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

375instroke

A booster doesn't make the car stop any better.  If the brakes are crap, there's a point where applying any more pressure on the shoes doesn't really do much.  There just isn't any friction.  You probably have a $12 set of shoes that have nowhere near the friction or heat resistance as the original asbestos shoes.  Try finding some good shoes.  I've had many manual drum cars that stopped great at least once, along with manual disc cars, and many that stopped for shit.  You could tell by looking at the shoes that they were junk.  Smooth and shiny.  The '64 880, power drum, could stop from 60 to about 30, then it was like oil was poured on the shoes.  A local brake supply place that does mostly big rigs relined my shoes for $60, and it's really amazing the difference it made.  I did just the fronts, and I haven't experienced any fade at all yet.

69hemibeep

Quote from: Neal_J on April 02, 2022, 10:21:17 AM
That is a manual brake booster. If it were power you would get a hard pedal without a booster.

birdsandbees

Quote from: 69hemibeep on April 03, 2022, 08:28:36 AM
Quote from: Neal_J on April 02, 2022, 10:21:17 AM
That is a manual brake booster. If it were power you would get a hard pedal without a booster.
That is a manual brake MASTER CYLINDER... it is also the very same Master Cylinder that is used with power brakes, that use a vacuum BOOSTER behind it.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Neal_J

Appreciate everyone's help.  Will look at the shoes first and, since I have a power booster on the shelf from a parts car, will give that at shot second.  Thanks!!

375instroke

Do you have just a booster?  You'll need a firewall reinforcement plate, and linkage, which are both different from manual.

Neal_J

Back in the olden days, when B bodies were still in junkyards, I liberated the master cylinder, booster, plate, pedal and linkage as a unit.   Been sitting on a shelf for 20+ years now...

c00nhunterjoe

Unless you are 5'2 and weigh 90 lbs, using 2 feet to stop the car is a shoe/drum issue, not a manual brakes issue. Again, i stopped 4 wheel manual drums with 1 foot and light to moderate pedal effort from 130mph at the track. With stock brakes you should be able to lock up all 4 wheels with 1 foot on the pedal. If not, something is wrong.

Back N Black

On my Dart I had the same issue, two feet to stop the car. Its non power brake car with disc up front. My problem was proportional  valve was stuck and not allowing any fluid to the rear brakes. Changed the valve and everything back to normal. Something to check, make sure your back brakes are working properly.