News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash Wiring Harness Issue

Started by Christianlondon, April 01, 2022, 05:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christianlondon

I am having my Car restored and the shop was fitting the under Dash Harness today.They said that there was a problem. The harness didn't have the wiring for the heater or a front light section..Does it have add on harness sections that I have to buy to run to the heater and the Headlights?
I supplied the shop with the Engine wiring harness too so I thought they had everything required  ::)

70 sublime

If we are talking about a second generation Charger there are 3 wiring harness sections under the hood that plug into the master firewall block

If it is a 68 or 69 the light harness wires will also have the vaccum hoses wrapped in it for the head light doors
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Christianlondon

I bought the 1969 Mopar B-Body Under-Dash Wire Harness with Oil Gauge Provision from Classic Industries .I got this and the engine Harness.I also got the electric Actuator kit for the lights..The guy doing the car seems to think that you plug in additional wiring looms to the under Dash one to work the heater and front lights ?

70 sublime

Sorry I have never used a harness from classic just original factory stuff

The heater wires may be a differnt section because it could be for heat or AC set up but every car will come with head lights and would think the wires should be there under the dash
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Christianlondon

I'm guessing it may need  one of the harnesses in the picture then.I'm not sure if I will need the forward Lamp harness as well?

JimShine

Yes, the core dash wiring kit will not cover everything. They made them like the factory harnesses where there is a core harness that has add on accessory harnesses that plug in for various other circuits. That harness ends at the bulkhead connector on the firewall and a pigtail for the rear. Everything beyond those two points in the engine bay and rear has its own separate harness you need to buy. I think often folks reuse many of the accessories circuits as they usually hold up, as long as they are not exposed to the elements. If yours are bad or you don't have them, you are going to need to see what options your car had and find the required accessories circuits to get it wired up. Another one I can think of is if you have a console, there is a whole accessories harness that goes to that.

70gtx440dana

Quote from: Christianlondon on April 02, 2022, 10:19:21 AM
I'm guessing it may need  one of the harnesses in the picture then.I'm not sure if I will need the forward Lamp harness as well?

This harness is only needed if you have A/C. Non A/C car has all wiring required in main dash harness and heater control unit.
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54