News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got out today.

Started by lloyd3, April 02, 2022, 05:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Sixty-five and sunny here today and the wife is in Houston with the mother-in-law (a sort-of spring-break for grandma since my wife's dad died last year. Minneapolis is still darn cold). This leaves me completely unsupervised, so... I played musical cars in my driveway and dug out my '68.  A glug of gas in the carb and we were off for a toot. First stop was a buddy's house for a mesh trap vest (my other expensive habit). From there a trip to Costco to look for posies (for the wife when she returns, I'm not stupid). No flowers there yet, but Costco now has booze and wine (ours didn't before). Lord...help me. Gas at Costco is also now so-cheap (30-cents less than the competition) you can't get in to buy it w/o a significant wait anymore. Progress, eh?  Detoured to a local frozen custard joint for a milkshake that I drank in the car while enjoying the sunshine. Coffee and cars next Saturday here also (if it doesn't snow).  

My first trip out and about with the car this year was actually last weekend (almost 70 degrees then). My son works at the local GreaseMonkey and he suggested a post-internment visit for a fluid-check and overall post-winter inspection so I took him up on it. He had clearly expected to get to do the once-over himself, but his boss decided that he needed to do it instead.  Nice guy (& darn good to my boy!) so I happily obliged him. Yet another car nut (currently working on a '49 Hudson Commodore convertible straight 8), he added a quart of oil, filled my window washer, cleaned my windows and checked the air in my tires, all gratis I might add. A nice service for regular customers, of which I am one (too-many cars to keep track of here otherwise).

73rallye440magnum

South end of the front range here.

Also an extremely pleasant day down here.

I am elbow deep in a vinyl top replacement journey.

Did put a few miles on though.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

lloyd3

May not be of yesterday....

lloyd3

I even took the car out to dinner last night with my now 18-year old son. He got to drive back home and commented on the rather dim dash lights and the "less-bright" headlights.  I told him that since I seldom drive it at night anymore, these things haven't been a high-priority. In non-city traffic conditions and on secondary streets they are still mostly a non-issue. Combine that with drum brakes, however, and you really start to see why this is a "nice day only" car.  Just parking it last night too (so I could see it from our seats the restaurant) was yet another challenge against regular use.  

Another point...we had a fellow follow us into the parking lots in his 70s Lincoln Continental to talk cars (which and we did for like 15-minutes before going in to eat).  A nice-enough fellow, but....a little off of what I would consider "ordinary".  FWIW: these cars are becoming something more than just an "attractive nuisance" in that you never know when you'll be forced to interact with a complete stranger. Now, 99.9 % percent of the time this is a very positive experience and a good thing but...you have to be completely prepared for that. Call me silly, but in a high-crime area (& parts of Denver are becoming that now) I suspect this could take-on a very different perspective.  Sure hope it never does here in our part of the 'burbs.

JB400

Starting to see more classics out and about.  Gas prices have had little effect

dreamcatcher

Yep 4.56 a gal. here and I had my bird out yesterday. And I intend on driving all my cars more regardless. I have in the past left them sit till I had brake issues and fuel issues. I keep building cars and have decided that they will. be driven. I am finishing up the 68 charger and well in the middle of my 69 GTO Ram Air III. And then by fall I will be building a modern Hemi in my 72 Charger and converting it to a rallye charger. Of coarse I decided this before gas went up. But I will be rolling in all of them! After all we better do it while we still can!
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

472 R/T SE

moparstuart

had the 68 out alot already this year  , Gas who cares its smiles per mile i like  :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

dreamcatcher

Agree totally! And the way this world is you better enjoy what you can. There is no telling what next week will bring.
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!