News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starter switch gone out?

Started by J-440, March 17, 2022, 11:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

Evening boys. Ok, here's the skinny. Went to change my wire looms from the starter relay to the firewall (I moved the stock relay to the front of the car from the firewall). As I was doing that, my lower driving lights were flickering and so were my interior lights and I was hearing a clicking noise from the front of the car somewhere near my headlight conversion relays. Then I lost all power. Car won't start and electric fuel pump won't turn on. Battery has a full charge and like I said earlier, I'm getting power to the big terminal on the starter relay. The smaller terminal on the relay with the wire leading into the car has no power though. I've checked all fuses and pulled my ignition switch to see if all the wires are connected and I'm good. I even swapped out a new starter relay and nothing.
  Back to the "clicking noise" up front. Would a headlight relay cause all of this? Or do I need a new ignition switch?
Thanks for all the help as usual. Y'all have a good one.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

John_Kunkel

Does the car have a fusible link? If so, check it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

70 sublime

Does your car still have a big red wire that goes through a block conector on the firewall to feed the main wireing harness ?
Check that conection also 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

b5blue

Wiggle the shifter while cranking. Check the + battery lug to wire connection, some were made loose fitting. Check grounds. Do you use a meter?( Look for voltage drop.)

J-440

Will do. Thanks for the input guys. I'll be at it on Monday.

J-440

Big John Kunkle. You hit it on the head. My fusible link connection came loose from the starter solenoid wire to the fuse box. Thanks again brother!

Nacho-RT74

Be sure it comes tight and clean again on BOTH ends... that's one of the MAIN circuit sections of the car, as you noticed. Including protection from fire
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html