News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Ray Evernham Collection - Mecum Indy in May 30+ cars No reserves

Started by odcics2, April 12, 2022, 08:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

The wings will have their own threads here but the two Mercury models are pretty cool as well

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

70Sbird

Scott Faulkner

hemi68charger

Steve's former Bristol Bird is in the lot to be sold.........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

I have to say that watching the #88 DC-93 bidding made me SICK!
When it stalled out at $400,000.00 with no reserve I thought the history behind it was worth more!
It finally made it to $500,000.00 and sold!
If the most significant car in our AERO history with that amount of detail is only worth that we are in trouble!
MJ

426HemiChick

Quote from: Mopar John on May 24, 2022, 12:10:48 PM
When it stalled out at $400,000.00 with no reserve I thought the history behind it was worth more!
If the most significant car in our AERO history with that amount of detail is only worth that we are in trouble!
MJ

Hi MJ,              24 May 2022

We Agree. A bird goes for $990K, a Daytona of dubious quality goes for $1.2mil and Greg's #88 DC-93 only fetches $500K? Something's wrong !!! We were hoping Greg would change his mind and put a High reserve on it.

Don't know how the auction system works, Mecum or BJ. To us, it's a game for folks with really big bucks, most of whom could care less about a car's history and more about flipping it for profit.

Anymore, Little is Sacred !!!

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Tuco

No offense but at 990 for a Superbird and 1.2 mil for a Hemi Daytona I'm not sure there's much room for flipping.

But what the hell do I know?

Aero426

MJ

I think the #88 car deserved a little more money.   But the connection between the street cars and race cars is sort of apples to oranges.    The street Hemi Daytona is a blue chip collectible and a portfolio type car.   It is a car with known history and although not the most sexy color combo,  it was a safe buy.   So that is  what a Hemi Daytona is worth at this moment.    The market has spoken.  Amen.

The race car will always take a special buyer.   It has been for sale for a year,  although I am sure there were interested people who were watching it, no one stepped up.    The car is not usable on the street.   But it's the perfect bookend for a street Hemi Daytona owner.   It will also get you invited to just about any car event on the planet.    The history is unimpeachable.   The car has been brought back as close as possible to how it was on 3/24/70.    The thing is really flippin' cool.     It's an ultimate Daytona and a museum worthy car that you can look at in your own garage.

Let's put the #88 winning bid into perspective.    There are only two recent comparables out there:   the Petty 1971 Road Runner and the Petty 1974 Charger that sold pre-covid.   The 1971 Road Runner sold at $412k with fees.    The 1974 Charger sold for $495k with fees.   It was a small block car, but was sold direct from the hand of The King.    So there was value there.   The #88 brought $550k.     So it beat the other two Petty cars.     It landed at the low end of where I thought it would.   Congrats on the sale.   This was an over twenty year labor of love.    

How tough can vintage stock cars be to sell?     The Jim Vandiver survivor 1974 Charger was sold as part of the Evernham collection.     This was a car with good NASCAR and ARCA history (win at Talladega),   a good sounding race Hemi (ex-Marvin Hughes) and authentic patina.  It would be criminal to restore this car.    The auction estimate was a very modest $40k to $60k.     It was bid to only $35,000, ($38,500 all in) .   That is like buying the engine and getting the rest of the car for free.     I wish I had taken a home equity line of credit as that car is super cool.    The sale result was inappropriate, but that's who was in the room and on the phone that day.   

Aero426

Quote from: Tuco on May 24, 2022, 05:27:40 PM
No offense but at 990 for a Superbird and 1.2 mil for a Hemi Daytona I'm not sure there's much room for flipping.

And there may not be.    Where will we be in a year or six months,  who knows?   It's hard to say.   Most collector car prices have skyrocketed since the pandemic.   There's the old story about buying assets as a hedge.   But nothing lasts forever.   You don't want to have bought at the top when the music stops.

69hemidaytona

There has been a buying spree as of late in all high dollar collectibles whether it be art, guns, or rare and special cars. As the rich are pulling money out of the stock market they're looking for places to put it. Also I think as the world falls apart around us people are going to want to enjoy what they can and will be paying top dollar for the best of the best. All those trillions of dollars the government printed have to be spent somewhere. I had considered selling my Hemi Daytona and even talked to a few potential buyers. I'm glad I didn't sell it. I think now is the time to be buying the rarest of the rare.

AKcharger

Darn! I saw this post too late, or I would have bought them all!

Birdflu

Quote from: Aero426 on May 24, 2022, 05:41:03 PM
MJ

I think the #88 car deserved a little more money.   But the connection between the street cars and race cars is sort of apples to oranges.    The street Hemi Daytona is a blue chip collectible and a portfolio type car.   It is a car with known history and although not the most sexy color combo,  it was a safe buy.   So that is  what a Hemi Daytona is worth at this moment.    The market has spoken.  Amen.

The race car will always take a special buyer.   It has been for sale for a year,  although I am sure there were interested people who were watching it, no one stepped up.    The car is not usable on the street.   But it's the perfect bookend for a street Hemi Daytona owner.   It will also get you invited to just about any car event on the planet.    The history is unimpeachable.   The car has been brought back as close as possible to how it was on 3/24/70.    The thing is really flippin' cool.     It's an ultimate Daytona and a museum worthy car that you can look at in your own garage.

Let's put the #88 winning bid into perspective.    There are only two recent comparables out there:   the Petty 1971 Road Runner and the Petty 1974 Charger that sold pre-covid.   The 1971 Road Runner sold at $412k with fees.    The 1974 Charger sold for $495k with fees.   It was a small block car, but was sold direct from the hand of The King.    So there was value there.   The #88 brought $550k.     So it beat the other two Petty cars.     It landed at the low end of where I thought it would.   Congrats on the sale.   This was an over twenty year labor of love.    

How tough can vintage stock cars be to sell?     The Jim Vandiver survivor 1974 Charger was sold as part of the Evernham collection.     This was a car with good NASCAR and ARCA history (win at Talladega),   a good sounding race Hemi (ex-Marvin Hughes) and authentic patina.  It would be criminal to restore this car.    The auction estimate was a very modest $40k to $60k.     It was bid to only $35,000, ($38,500 all in) .   That is like buying the engine and getting the rest of the car for free.     I wish I had taken a home equity line of credit as that car is super cool.    The sale result was inappropriate, but that's who was in the room and on the phone that day.   

Well said Doug, I completely agree with your assessment!  :2thumbs:

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                    25 May 2022

19 October 1987, almost 35 years ago: The stock market crashed. It recovered in two years, 18 years faster than it did after the 1929 crash.

During the recovery period collector cars went wild through 2006 and a bit beyond. Then the bottom fell out and prices retreated. They seem to now be on an upward ride.

Where's it all going to end? Who knows. We have record high fuel prices, record high inflation, some food shortages, worker shortages, massive illegal immigration, people being rewarded for not working, and on and on.

Where's it all headed? If we knew we'd do whatever was necessary to be in the winner's circle. Problem is, we don't know. Some folks will make the correct choices, others will not . . . . through no fault of their own. Life is a crap shoot, there are winners and losers.

These are trying times; it may get "Worser" before it gets "Gooder." The only advise we have is: Don't panic, keep a cool head and don't do anything rash.

What we do wish is for everyone here to be successful.

God Bless You All

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

aerolith

Nice cars Greg!

Did you eventually sell DC-93?

I saw the green/green hemi Daytona sold for BIG money...

My dream of meeting you and the World famous DC never happened, so sad...

Best wishes from England, Limey John.

I have sent you a PM before I saw this thread.
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

The whole World has been effected by the war in Ukraine!

It shows that there is a 'butterfly effect' after all...

Very hard to talk about Collector car prices, relics from 50 years ago.

I haven't driven a Mopar since 2005 and looks like I won't be again...
Fuel (gas) prices here are crippling the HOBBY!

Most Mopar folks here are bailing out asap.

So sad as we all love our cars here as much as you do there.
We can own them but maybe never drive them, so 'race cars are fine' lol...

God bless America, from limey John. :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

It was a fun ride, whilst it lasted... :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Gonna get myself an electric Toyota, so I can support someone in NASCAR again... :dance: :dance: :dance:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Mytur Binsdirti

Damn, is that all? I could have pulled that amount of cash from under my pillow.

1RareBird

When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

426HemiChick

Quote from: 1RareBird on May 26, 2022, 05:18:42 PM
Karma. It's a bitxx. 

Hi 1RareBird,             27 May 2022

Welcome to the site.

Don't know about "Karma," but we do like your signature:

"When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car."

Thanks for the laughs!

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Aero426 on May 24, 2022, 05:42:41 PM
Quote from: Tuco on May 24, 2022, 05:27:40 PM

And there may not be.    Where will we be in a year or six months,  who knows?   It's hard to say.   Most collector car prices have skyrocketed since the pandemic.   There's the old story about buying assets as a hedge.   But nothing lasts forever.   You don't want to have bought at the top when the music stops.

I don't know about the rest of you but I worry about these states and their new non fossil fuel rig sales coming up.

And don't get me started on the future ev rigs they have no idea how theyre gonna power, lol.

I love the old Pherd Aero cars.  It was mopar & Pherd back then.  Chebby chickened out cause they didn't have the technology, lol.

426HemiChick

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 28, 2022, 08:57:57 PM

I don't know about the rest of you but I worry about these states and their new non fossil fuel rig sales coming up.

And don't get me started on the future ev rigs they have no idea how theyre gonna power, lol.

I love the old Pherd Aero cars.  It was mopar & Pherd back then.  Chebby chickened out cause they didn't have the technology, lol.
Hi 472 R/T SE,                 29 May 2022

The greenies have this all figured out, the world will be a "Gooder" place to live because they say and know so. Their zeal has little to do with making things better, it's about POWER and Control; them with the POWER and Control.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Aero426

DC-93 back on track for the first time in 45 years.   An incredible moment.   

426HemiChick

Quote from: Aero426 on June 20, 2022, 08:57:09 PM
DC-93 back on track for the first time in 45 years.   An incredible moment.  

Hi Aero426,          21 June 2022

Who owns her, who was driving her, where did her return to the track take place and how fast did they have her?

Thanks in advance

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Sgt Superbird