News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Scatter Shooting and musing (s)

Started by yellocharge68, April 13, 2022, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellocharge68

I have been in the search for my next 68-70 Charger for primary use of cruising/restoring and enjoying.  Hot Rod Power Tour/Cruising the East Coast to Miami to the Florida Keys then the  The Pacific Coast Highway.......!  ( You get the drift, Cruising and hot rodding)   Any way My biggest point is I have read a lot of the Charger History and the creators of the famous second generation car style we all love....   Was just thinking I would like to add the original intent extra tank filler opening on the passenger side as well as building or having created a slightly larger Gas Tank say 23-25 gallons over the original 19 gallons.  Has anyone else considered or even attempted this and what are the thoughts on the feasibility..   I am planning on retirement in the next 2-2.5 years and will received barring an unforeseen tragic mishandling of accrued leave and compensation that will come to about 75 K. Should be able to find a suitable car, probably not gonna be an all original or numbers matching,  but want to stay true top the car itself.  After over 37 years of work in the same line of work, and what will then be nearly 40 years, the open road sure has a great deal of appeal to me.....  Please let me know any thoughts or suggestions !!!  Thanks !!!   I can hardly wait to reacquire my next Charger !!!! 
Sunfire Yellow 1968 Dodge Charger 383/727 auto-console

70 sublime

Not sure you would have enough space to make the factory tank bigger than what is already there unless it was hanging lower
Take the original apart at the seam and add another 3" to the depth ??

Does not sound like you would want to cut the trunk floor and have a fuel cell
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

426HemiChick

Quote from: yellocharge68 on April 13, 2022, 04:28:27 PM
I have been in the search for my next 68-70 Charger for primary use of cruising/restoring and enjoying.  Hot Rod Power Tour/Cruising the East Coast to Miami to the Florida Keys then the  The Pacific Coast Highway.......!  ( You get the drift, Cruising and hot rodding)   Any way My biggest point is I have read a lot of the Charger History and the creators of the famous second generation car style we all love....   Was just thinking I would like to add the original intent extra tank filler opening on the passenger side as well as building or having created a slightly larger Gas Tank say 23-25 gallons over the original 19 gallons.  Has anyone else considered or even attempted this and what are the thoughts on the feasibility..   I am planning on retirement in the next 2-2.5 years and will received barring an unforeseen tragic mishandling of accrued leave and compensation that will come to about 75 K. Should be able to find a suitable car, probably not gonna be an all original or numbers matching,  but want to stay true top the car itself.  After over 37 years of work in the same line of work, and what will then be nearly 40 years, the open road sure has a great deal of appeal to me.....  Please let me know any thoughts or suggestions !!!  Thanks !!!   I can hardly wait to reacquire my next Charger !!!! 

Hi yellocharge68,                   13 April 2022

Have a feeling you have a bucket list that needs attention. Don't have much left to do on mine, just three items, Drive a big rig, own one and live as long as my girlfriend . . . .  minus one day.

You can have a custom tank fabricated to replace the stock unit, add one in the trunk (not a great idea) or use one of my brain farts and have a 200 gallon tank fabricated for a small trailer and drag it along with you.

Think my idea of a semi with a fuel capacity of 350 gallons and a nice large sleeper will be nice so we can bobtail on our personal trips.

We ain't here forever. Do what your heart tells you to do. We only have one shot at this . . . . no "Do Overs" permitted.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Mike DC

The stock gas tank is 19.5 gallons.  That is small if you're running 4.10 gears and a .509 cam and a big double-pumper.  It's not small if you have a street cruising setup.    

Stock axle gear + overdrive trans + stock cam + street carb + radial tires = at least 15 MPG on the highway if not more.  That should take you 250-300 miles on the stock tank.  That's a solid 4 hours between stops.  

yellocharge68

No Doubt I have a Bucket List that has been left unattended  for too long.... Dreams for sure....   I do not want anything to do with cutting the Trunk Floor or using a fuel cell......  It is in my thoughts to get a very nice, Turn Key car, fortunately I have had time to "Window" shop the Internet looking !!  I admit it has occasionally been demoralizing, but my better half knows how hard I have worked and sacrificed and has agreed to just about any old car I want upon retirement... !!  I fortunately married an awesome lady...  Anyway, My thoughts are Modern brakes, more fuel for fewer stops, and really nice wheels/tire setup !!!  The larger Fuel tank may be an exception, but I am collecting the parts to have the fuel Tank Filler match the quarter panel on left and right side...  My demand will be a 440 at the least, maybe a stroker motor, and obviously bigger tires/wheels combo.  I want to stay no larger than a 15 inch wheel, but, I have seen some of the pictures of our other members rides, and 16,17.18 inch wheels look pretty good, too.

Really, Really want a Triple Black Charger, if unavailable then a Red Charger and possibly a B-5 Blue Charger.  I will obviously take time pulling the trigger since I have waited this long, but once purchased, GoodYear/Firestone, Coker.... (Someone is gonna have to step up production).....

My Dad always griped at me when I left the driveway in my old car, saying..."Them Tires just grow on trees, don't they boy!!" :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   

Mike DC

A 2nd-gen gas tank could probably be enlarged by a few gallons if it was custom-made from scratch.  It probably wouldn't cause serious trouble to hang the bottom 1" lower (at least the front part of the tank, if maybe not the rear).  

There are also a weld flanges on the sides of the tank that eat up about 1" of lateral space (per side).  So a custom tank with smooth sides could be 1-2" wider than stock, total.  

You could also use oval-shaped exhaust tubing (turned vertical) for that area alongside the tank.  That might buy a little more room to widen the tank further.  The exhaust tube size is not critical in those last couple of feet.  

As for the double-side gas door, I wouldn't do it.  

Yeah, it was the factory's plan at one point.  But there is a longer story:  The bodystyle's designers never really wanted the stock gas door on either side.  Not like it is.  One of Chrysler's styling department bosses saw the unfinished Charger design and he put the gas cap there on a whim.  The stylists didn't like it one bit, but they knew better than to argue with him.      

The other problem with dual gas doors is inside the trunk.  Those diagonal gas filler tubes reduce the storage area.  One of them is bad enough IMO.

b5blue

Consider adding a fuel cell.  :scratchchin: (I have.)

70 sublime

If you really wanted to drive a long way with out stopping you could get the biggest red plasitc gas can you can find and rig up an electric fuel pump that you could screw into the top opening of the can and add a fitting to the factory filler neck in the trunk and just push a button to top up the main tank when it starts to run low
It is something you can ad for the long trips but not need or be in the way the other 95% of the time you use the car

yellocharge68

I am not sure about the plastic gas can idea, but the electric pump and maybe a temporary fuel cell.  Really don't want it to be a "gas tank truck" of "Gas Tank Dominated Trunk" but just wanted to add in a few more gallons for a longer haul.  I understand the design on the filler tube/Filler cap and had thought before that the complete removal/re-location behind the license plate might be cool/option.  Not trying t re-invent the wheel, but I have even considered re-designing the filler tube to perhaps fall directly down then into the tank from the quarter panel or below the package tray.....  Again, this is all just talking/discussing, speculating and musing.  I may just leave it as is, but wanted some ideas and opinions on the thought of adding in the extra down spout/cap on the right hand quarter.
    While I know that the car I will most likely end up with will be turn key and hopefully lack any need for any Paint or Body Work at all.   I have seen quite a few of the cars on her that have a chin spoiler and I had added one to my old yellow charger, I like that look, wonder why Dodge didn't do that during those three years...??  Oh well, the savings accumulation of money knowledge can continue to grow from now till when I get my next 68/69/70 Charger !!  Man I love these cars, anyone knows the next round of Lottery winning numbers, I would greatly appreciate it... !!!!   :shruggy:

70 sublime

I think I have read on here a couple guys with other B body cars with the gas cap behind the license plate talk about how much nicer a Charger cap on the side would be then down so low at the back

Would not have to bend over so far and try to get the cap back on after

RallyeMike

If it was me, I would avoid a stroker, keep it to a mild build, and install overdrive of some sort. Shoot for a final gear ratio in the low to mid 2's and you will be turning low rpms with enough low rpm torque to pull the car along at highway speed. If you don't want to do OD, then make sure the car has an 8-3/4 axle so you can at least drop a 2.76 gear in it. It's not a race car, so put your money into building it for its intended purpose .....some power, but with mileage and reliability in mind. Stay away from headers, roller cams, MSD, and all that stuff in favor of the reliability and roadside serviceability of stock-type components. Your road time will be much more enjoyable and less worry.

Like was said earlier, a mild 440 + overdrive (or just 2.76 gears) + the stock tank is more than enough to get you between gas stations. Can your retired bladder/back/et.c go more than 3-4 hours without needing a break? How about your co-pilot?  If you are still fixated on more fuel capacity and an extra fuel inlet, a fabricator can build you a new tank with at least 5+ gallons more capacity that will fit in the stock location. Look up your nearest hot rod/custom car shop. Considering your budget of 75k, I don't think you have any extra dough for custom fuel tanks, etc. though.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

426HemiChick

Quote from: yellocharge68 on April 14, 2022, 09:36:05 AM
Oh well, the savings accumulation of money knowledge can continue to grow from now till when I get my next 68/69/70 Charger !! Man I love these cars ....

Hi yellocharge68,                14 April 2022

... and so do we !!!

As we have mentioned before, the 68, 69, 70 Chargers are the best looking cars ever produced, especially the 69 Daytona's.

The stuff being produced today looks like it was grown on a "Potato Farm."

Good luck with your Dream and Bucket List.

We believe your Dream will come True and you will complete your Bucket List.

God Bless and Good Luck !!!

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Mike DC

I once looked at the possibilities for changing the gas filler tube (to make more trunk room).  There is a little bit of room for improvement but not a whole lot.  

The subframe rails & exhaust are forcing the filler tube to enter the tank from the middle of the floor like it is.  And you cannot get too creative with the shape/angle of the tube because the liquid has to run down towards the tank (gravity).  If the tube angle gets too close to horizontal then it might start having backflow problems.  Gas stations don't always have perfectly flat pavement.  You might be trying to pour some gas in the tank while a tire is flat/low on one side.  Etc.  

I think there is room to put another mild bend in the middle of the tube (like, pushing the middle of the tube towards the wheelwell).  That could make it easier to access the shelf over the axle.

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,              14 April 2022

Not being experts, just a couple seasoned Mopar and Ford owners, our opinions are just that, OPINIONS.

Don't remember if all Chargers had the fuel cap on the top of the driver's side (left) rear fender.  Think only certain models did, 500's and Daytona's and maybe a few others. If you need a lot of trunk space buy one without that filler. Get one that has the cap behind the license plate. It's in the center so it makes no difference which side of the fuel dispenser you are next to. Problem is when you become a geezer, trying to bend over to fuel the car with the filler cap behind the license plate is a real pain in many areas and ways.

Think you might have the cart before the horse. Decide what you want to use it for, then buy what best fits. Don't start modifying things that can affect the reliability and resale value. These cars are no longer in production and are becoming very expensive. Was looking on the net and junk was selling for big bucks.

Buy yourself a nice clean rust free Charger, freshen the engine and transmission, make sure it has the 8 3/4 rear end and have a 2.76 ring and pinion installed (by someone that knows how to do it) and possibly add an overdrive to the transmission. Also use the factory style ignition, they are easy to work on and are reliable.

If you want to take long trips, buy an SUV that is economical and drive it. If you take your Charger, it might get "Disappeared," in which case you may never see it again . . . . as you knew it.

You might want to start looking now and if you can afford it, buy it and store it until you're ready to retire and begin working on it.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Hope to see it on this site one of these days.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

yellocharge68

I have been casually perusing the want ads, cars for sale, Bring a Trailer and of Course Mecum and Barrett Jackson Auctions....   I briefly spoke with my financial planner, and subject to change and stock market and life, I may be able to expend upwards of 125 K for the charger, however, I would really like to start with a clean, nicely painted and 440 equipped car....  for not nearly all of that money..... :brickwall: :brickwall: If you are gonna dream, dream big.....    I have some ideas on how I want to personalize, custom and maintain the car, guess only time will tell, but still looking, dreaming and drooling....!!   

426HemiChick

Quote from: yellocharge68 on April 14, 2022, 04:02:46 PM
I have been casually perusing the want ads, cars for sale, Bring a Trailer and of Course Mecum and Barrett Jackson Auctions....   I briefly spoke with my financial planner, and subject to change and stock market and life, I may be able to expend upwards of 125 K for the charger, however, I would really like to start with a clean, nicely painted and 440 equipped car....  for not nearly all of that money..... :brickwall: :brickwall: If you are gonna dream, dream big.....    I have some ideas on how I want to personalize, custom and maintain the car, guess only time will tell, but still looking, dreaming and drooling....!!    

Hi yellocharge68,                  16 April 2022

"I have some ideas on how I want to personalize, custom and maintain the car, guess only time will tell, but still looking, dreaming and drooling....!!"

Just that brings a lot of joy. Follow Your Heart !!!!

God Bless

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

yellocharge68

As part of my on going search, I have seen numerous chargers in various states of finish/repair, etc.  I have also noted on the Cars on Line site an add (Ad# 94546)  that seems to have been on there for over a few years....  Anyone know how often they update their adds, this appears to be a very nice car, and even says Barrett Jackson quality in the add....   Wondering if it's a portal to a scam or just someone who has left it on line.....

Old Moparz

I have seen flat gas tanks for pick up truck beds, maybe a smaller version is available or someone could fabricate one.

Custom build your own tank....
https://fuelcurve.com/custom-gas-tank/

Pick Up Bed Tank....
https://dalessuperstore.com/i-23912633-the-fuelbox-85-gal-wedge-fuel-tank-wd85-multi-vehicle-fitment.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_Y7K0bK39wIVDHmGCh0l3QGREAsYBSABEgLJBvD_BwE
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Todd Wilson

Decide what you want to do with the car and build accordingly.  A 318 would be a great touring engine. My 318 2b 69 Charger would get 20-25mpg on a long drive.

Todd