News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XX29J9B383276 Hemi Daytona - Mecum Indianapolis May 2022 - Lot R451

Started by held1823, April 13, 2022, 09:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0522-502693/1969-dodge-hemi-daytona/

Based on the crazy amount recently paid for a Hemi Bird, this should be the first million dollar wing car
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

mopar4ya

So, in this crazy mixed up world, what do you guys think it will bring. Anyone think the color will effect what it hammers down at?

DownZero

TiMopar

Quote from: mopar4ya on April 17, 2022, 06:44:49 PM
So, in this crazy mixed up world, what do you guys think it will bring. Anyone think the color will effect what it hammers down at?

F8 is my favorite on a Daytona, so it would be my choice. Wasn't the record for a B-Body hardtop an F8 70 Hemi Coronet R/T?

426HemiChick

Quote from: DownZero on April 17, 2022, 07:47:33 PM
My guess: between 900k and 1.2 mil.

Hi DownZero,               18 April 2022

Think you're in the ballpark. If it doesn't crack the $Mil bar, something is wrong.

A Black, Hemi Orange or Bright Red (Tor-Red ??) would be my preferences.

This particular car looks like the one featured in a 1969 Playboy issue, probably long before you joined us here on Spaceship Earth. Do have the picture from that issue. It's here somewhere; if we find it we'll post it. Any possibility it's that same car? If it is, that could cause the bid to top $1.5 Mil . . . .  or more.

There are members here that have Hemi Daytona's, member "69hemidaytona" has one that recently came out of a Roger Gibson restoration and  Bob Jennings' Original Survivor Hemi Daytona. Our guess is both would top $2Mil.

There are good restorers out there; Roger Gibson wrote the book on Mopar restoration, his work is impeccable and perfect.

Hi Mopar4ya,

Green in and out; just too much green. It may affect the hammer price unless it's the car from the Playboy article.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

mopar4ya

426HemiChick

Quote from: mopar4ya on April 18, 2022, 07:49:27 PM
The Playboy Daytona was Spring Green, not F8.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Take care.

God Bless

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

AKcharger

hemi68charger

Quote from: AKcharger on April 21, 2022, 03:52:11 AM
Super nice car...but as mentioned above, too much green  :puke:

Since I live in a "beggers can't be choosers" world and the fact that the number of Hemi Daytonas available are counted with the fingers on one hand, I could deal with green surrounding E74 and D21 codes... :-)
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Sgt Superbird

426HemiChick

Quote from: Sgt Superbird on April 21, 2022, 08:26:41 AM
I totally agree, hemi68charger.

Hi Sgt Superbird, hemi68charger,           21 April 2022

Amen; not many to choose from.

Oh where are the dies for the 69 Daytona's? Would love to own them; just think, New 69 Hemi Daytona's. If only . . . .

Think the $990K Superbird will force the price for the Hemi Daytona to eclipse it by a large margin . . . . as it should.

Won't be long and we'll know.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

hemi68charger

Quote from: 426HemiChick on April 21, 2022, 12:17:24 PM

Think the $990K Superbird will force the price for the Hemi Daytona to eclipse it by a large margin . . . . as it should.

Won't be long and we'll know.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Yeah, it'll be curious since I have a Hemi Bird pretty much like the one that sold recently and the pedigree of a Bonneville Salt Flat racer.... Who would have EVER thought it, I know not me.... :shruggy:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69hemidaytona

Having a 4 speed definitely helps but the colors do not. Nowhere does it say matching numbers engine and transmission. Does anybody know what the status of that is?

Aero426

Quote from: 426HemiChick on April 21, 2022, 12:17:24 PM

Should and would are two different things.   It's two different crowds in two different venues on two different days.     So it's hard to say that the Daytona will blow away the January Superbird number.   It's also a reserve car, so unless it breaks that number, it's hard to know where the real money stops.      Beautiful car.  I don't mind the colors, but others might be less enthusiastic.    My guess is it will not sell. 

6bblgt

here's an ad from 2006 stating "numbers matching" (also reported as such in the GG document above), a pic from the "HEMI Nationals" (or "Mopar Nationals" ??) with RECALL wheels
& back-in-the-day sporting a bumper and white vinyl top while enjoying the heat in AZ  :2thumbs:

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                26 April 2022

Having followed the various links on this site and seeing what appears to be a Daytona with a strange history: Accident, missing nose, white vinyl top now gone, numerous owners, etc.

Have our doubts that it will crack $900K. It's sure not original and nothing we have read mentions who did the restoration, though it's possible we missed that bit of info.

The fact that it's green on green on green is way too much green to bring lots of $$Green.

We are now inclined to side with Aero426, that it will not sell.

In reality, in today's world where one person buys an Internet site for $44 BILLION, anything is possible. Old saying: "A fool and his money are soon parted." Time will tell.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

6bblgt

it is easily in the top half of the surviving HEMI 4-speed DAYTONAS, one would have to be a real student of the game to know where in the top 10 it would fall

if you can deal with the "dark green metallic" I would hazard a guess that it is in the top 5 and it is available - many or the rest of the top 10 are not

Daytonas like your former HEMI automatic car are unicorns - most have been around the block many times

odcics2

If you don't like green there is always blue...  :2thumbs:

if this car sells, or not, it may have an impact on what DC-93 will sell for
at no reserve.   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

taxspeaker

F8 green is a fantastic color, but I think this will stall out around 500k and be a no sale. Although the Daytona is clearly a better looking car than a SuperBird, it just never seems to have quite caught the fiery desire that people have to own a Bird. However, as others have said, there are so few Hemi Daytonas out there, with even fewer ever up for sale, this being a 4-speed could bring in a real bidding war. I will stick with the no-sale at $500k-there are just not enough people with that kind of desire and money willing to part with it. Kissimmee 2022 prices were a once in a lifetime confluence of many factors that fed the prices paid, and we won't see that again. I do plan on being there to watch the show-so many wings and good cars going through that day it will be exciting. Motor Trend TV always seems to cut to ads when a Mopar comes across, so I cancelled my subscription to it and will drive up the 21st to watch.

In 3 weeks I may be asking what goes good with "crow" while I am eating it!
Bob J

426HemiChick

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 27, 2022, 12:51:57 AM
it is easily in the top half of the surviving HEMI 4-speed DAYTONAS, one would have to be a real student of the game to know where in the top 10 it would fall

if you can deal with the "dark green metallic" I would hazard a guess that it is in the top 5 and it is available - many or the rest of the top 10 are not

Daytonas like your former HEMI automatic car are unicorns - most have been around the block many times

Hi 6bblgt,              27 April 2022

Does anyone know who did the restoration on the Green 4 spd Hemi Daytona in Question? The answer could be a large factor in what this car brings. If it were a Roger Gibson restoration then all bets are off on the $$$ it rings up. If it's some run of the mill resto shop it won't stand a chance of breaking a record.

Bob Jennings' Hemi Daytona is so original it will be difficult to find another to top it.

There are members here that have Hemi Daytona's, member "69hemidaytona" has one that recently came out of a Roger Gibson restoration and  Bob Jennings' Original Survivor Hemi Daytona. Our guess is both would top $2Mil.

Time will tell. It's going to be interesting.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks