News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XX29J9B383276 Hemi Daytona - Mecum Indianapolis May 2022 - Lot R451

Started by held1823, April 13, 2022, 09:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

426HemiChick

Quote from: taxspeaker on April 27, 2022, 07:40:18 AM

In 3 weeks I may be asking what goes good with "crow" while I am eating it!
Bob J

Hi Bob,                  27 April 2022

May we suggest "Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce," it's the cat's meow of BBQ sauces.

It'll make it easy getting that crow down.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

69hemidaytona

Quote from: 426HemiChick on April 27, 2022, 05:58:35 PM
Quote from: 6bblgt on April 27, 2022, 12:51:57 AM
it is easily in the top half of the surviving HEMI 4-speed DAYTONAS, one would have to be a real student of the game to know where in the top 10 it would fall

if you can deal with the "dark green metallic" I would hazard a guess that it is in the top 5 and it is available - many or the rest of the top 10 are not

Daytonas like your former HEMI automatic car are unicorns - most have been around the block many times

Hi 6bblgt,              27 April 2022

Does anyone know who did the restoration on the Green 4 spd Hemi Daytona in Question? The answer could be a large factor in what this car brings. If it were a Roger Gibson restoration then all bets are off on the $$$ it rings up. If it's some run of the mill resto shop it won't stand a chance of breaking a record.

Bob Jennings' Hemi Daytona is so original it will be difficult to find another to top it.

There are members here that have Hemi Daytona's, member "69hemidaytona" has one that recently came out of a Roger Gibson restoration and  Bob Jennings' Original Survivor Hemi Daytona. Our guess is both would top $2Mil.

Time will tell. It's going to be interesting.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
The restoration on that green car was definitely not done by Roger Gibson.

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on April 28, 2022, 11:44:05 AM

Hi 69hemidaytona,            28 April 2022

If it were, that alone would have been headlined. There's only One Roger Gibson and he's Numero Uno !!!

Take Care.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

69hemidaytona

Quote from: 426HemiChick on April 28, 2022, 12:57:36 PM
Quote from: 69hemidaytona on April 28, 2022, 11:44:05 AM

Hi 69hemidaytona,            28 April 2022

If it were, that alone would have been headlined. There's only One Roger Gibson and he's Numero Uno !!!

Take Care.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
I agree. He's expensive but it gets done right. I'm not even sure if he'll be doing anymore Daytona's. He's getting up there in age. Interesting fact.... He went to high school with Rush Limbaugh.

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on April 28, 2022, 01:50:59 PM
I agree. He's expensive but it gets done right. I'm not even sure if he'll be doing anymore Daytona's. He's getting up there in age. Interesting fact.... He went to high school with Rush Limbaugh.

Hi 69hemidaytona,                29 April 2022

He's the Best and being the best, rightfully entitles him to be well compensated.

Excellence doesn't come cheap . . . . nor should it.

Remember: "Excellence in Broadcasting !!!" Birds of a feather, flock together.

While typing the date, we noticed we'll soon run out of April.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

gearbreath

Hello, my 2 cents on Roger Gibson. When my best friend past away Mr. Gibson came over to my friends  home to  look at his 1970 Challenger T/A , 1970 Plymouth AAR Cuda and 1968 Plymouth Road Runner and give advice on how to market them.  He made some calls on Families behalf and advised the person who would eventual purchase all 3 vehicles. Myself and my friends family were very grateful to him for this. I told Mr. Gibson upon meeting him this is like a baseball fan getting to meet an Idol like Mickey Mantle. Great Person in the Car hobby. Thank You Mr. Gibson. H Michael Smith

69_500

I think Doug nailed it on this car. I don't think it will meet whatever their reserve is. The car is nice, it is not great. it is a Hemi 4 speed Daytona which is top of the mountain in my book. the color though, is not good.

Of the other known HEMI 4 speed Daytona's that are number matching, to me personally this one doesn't make the top 5 at all. Let me stew on it a while because I am not sure I would put it in the top 10 of just the HEMI 4 speed Daytona's.

going off the top of my head, its behind 2 X9 Hemi 4 speeds, 2 V2 Hemi 4 speeds, both T5 Hemi 4 speeds are nicer, 2 R4 4 speeds are nicer. shoot I would put several of the Hemi auto cars ahead of this one as well as far as niceness and desirability goes. The options on this one are a nice plus, but I am not a huge green fan. its not the worst color to me personally, as I agree with Wayne P on what color is the worst on Daytona's.

held1823

Quote from: 69_500 on April 29, 2022, 05:19:36 PM
its not the worst color to me personally, as I agree with Wayne P on what color is the worst on Daytona's.

I would  take f8 over black every time if color was the deciding factor. You and Wayne may prefer the dime a dozen r4 and v2 ones over his much rarer color, but we both know the best (and rarest) color hemi Daytona is owned by our favorite Chicago taxi driver.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

426HemiChick

Quote from: held1823 on April 29, 2022, 05:29:24 PM
its not the worst color to me personally, as I agree with Wayne P on what color is the worst on Daytona's.

I would  take f8 over black every time if color was the deciding factor. You and Wayne may prefer the dime a dozen r4 and v2 ones over his much rarer color, but we both know the best (and rarest) color hemi Daytona is owned by our favorite Chicago taxi driver.

Hi Ernie,               29 April 2022

Who's the Chicago Taxi Driver and what is the rarest color for a Hemi Daytona ?

Personally, we like V2, R4 and Black with a red stripe and wing. Color rarity doesn't interest us, it's what we personally find appealing. We sure wouldn't want the Matador Red that's currently on our Hemi RR, which is going to get a repaint, probably in R4, the same color that's on our 69 6-PK. Don't think V2 would look good on the RR. We are considering Black on Black, though not committed . . . . yet.

Well, this has become a lively thread; the livelier the better. Only a few days remain before the speculation will be proven one way or the other.

Take Care Ernie

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Quote from: gearbreath on April 29, 2022, 02:59:41 PM
Hello, my 2 cents on Roger Gibson. When my best friend past away Mr. Gibson came over to my friends  home to  look at his 1970 Challenger T/A , 1970 Plymouth AAR Cuda and 1968 Plymouth Road Runner and give advice on how to market them.  He made some calls on Families behalf and advised the person who would eventual purchase all 3 vehicles. Myself and my friends family were very grateful to him for this. I told Mr. Gibson upon meeting him this is like a baseball fan getting to meet an Idol like Mickey Mantle. Great Person in the Car hobby. Thank You Mr. Gibson. H Michael Smith

Hi Mr. H Michael Smith,                   29 April 2022

Welcome to the site and thank you for your testimonial about Mr. Roger Gibson.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

69F8C500

Quote from: gearbreath on April 29, 2022, 02:59:41 PM

Roger is a great guy. My dad went to his shop on a whim one day back in the 90s (we live only 2 hours away from his shop) and Roger gave him a 3 hour tour of the shop. If I had all the money in the world I would send our cars to him. But I currently don't have that kinda money, so the cars will sit.

69hemidaytona

I'm still a little confused about a couple of things. Galen's visual inspection appears to indicate that this car has its original numbers matching engine and transmission. I had always understood there was only one matching numbers Hemi Daytona 4 speed in existence. That being the Tim wellborn/ David Spade car. Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. Unless I'm not seeing it, mecum's description does not say it's a numbers matching engine and transmission. Also nowhere do we see photos of the engine or transmission stampings. If it is indeed numbers matching you would sure think they would describe that and possibly also show photos. The other question I have is that it appears there is only a photocopy of the broadcast sheet. Nowhere does it say the original broadcast sheet is included. I wonder where the original is.

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on April 30, 2022, 12:56:43 PM
I'm still a little confused about a couple of things. Galen's visual inspection appears to indicate that this car has its original numbers matching engine and transmission. I had always understood there was only one matching numbers Hemi Daytona 4 speed in existence. That being the Tim wellborn/ David Spade car. Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. Unless I'm not seeing it, mecum's description does not say it's a numbers matching engine and transmission. Also nowhere do we see photos of the engine or transmission stampings. If it is indeed numbers matching you would sure think they would describe that and possibly also show photos. The other question I have is that it appears there is only a photocopy of the broadcast sheet. Nowhere does it say the original broadcast sheet is included. I wonder where the original is.

Hi 69hemidaytona,                 30 April 2022

"Nowhere does it say the original broadcast sheet is included. I wonder where the original is."

Your last sentence is answered in a number of posts relative to Bob Jennings' Hemi Daytona . . . . and others. We used to own that Daytona and Galen was holding the Build Sheet for us. After Bob Bought it, Galen tried a bit of extortion. Bob wouldn't play Galen's game and then Bob found a build sheet in the car totally destroying Galen's bid to extort $25K for the build sheet that is rightfully Bob's.

There are folks here that have a very low opinion of GG. We sure wouldn't leave our wallets lying around with Galen in the room. Look around the net and you will find his reputation is lower than Whale shit.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

69hemidaytona

Quote from: 426HemiChick on April 30, 2022, 08:48:48 PM
Quote from: 69hemidaytona on April 30, 2022, 12:56:43 PM

Hi 69hemidaytona,                 30 April 2022

"Nowhere does it say the original broadcast sheet is included. I wonder where the original is."

Your last sentence is answered in a number of posts relative to Bob Jennings' Hemi Daytona . . . . and others. We used to own that Daytona and Galen was holding the Build Sheet for us. After Bob Bought it, Galen tried a bit of extortion. Bob wouldn't play Galen's game and then Bob found a build sheet in the car totally destroying Galen's bid to extort $25K for the build sheet that is rightfully Bob's.

There are folks here that have a very low opinion of GG. We sure wouldn't leave our wallets lying around with Galen in the room. Look around the net and you will find his reputation is lower than Whale shit.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Yikes. How is it that Galen was holding your broadcast sheet for you? Did you send it to him?

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on May 01, 2022, 01:29:44 PM
Yikes. How is it that Galen was holding your broadcast sheet for you? Did you send it to him?

Hi 69hemidaytona,               01 May 2022

Yikes, where'd April go???

Rather than rehash what has already been posted on the sordid antics of GG, go to the start of the GG Extortion story:

Page 3, Post 61, of the following thread:

Quote from: taxspeaker on November 13, 2020, 06:17:51 PM
Tomorrow I will be pulling the rear seat, looking under it and behind the glove box and under the carpet for a broadcast sheet. Galen wanted $25,000 (not a misprint) for mine, and I don't need it that bad, just would like to have it-a difference between needs and wants.

It has a Happy Ending in that Bob found an original Build Sheet inside the Daytona, destroying Galen's attempt at extortion and helping cement his reputation as a "Low Life" and a greedy, sleazy scoundrel.

In his defense, he did offer to send it to us in 2006 when we first registered the car with him. We asked him to keep it for us, to which he agreed to do. Sometimes things don't turn out the way one had hoped. We know it cost him quite a lot of money to store it in a folder inside a file cabinet, which we are certain required a herculean effort on his part.

Thanks, Take Care.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

gearbreath

Hello, 426 Chicks, Thank you for your response on welcoming me  ;) to site. I have been on this site since you started posting and really enjoyed your input and knowledge along with your  kindness in regards to giving another member a pair of Daytona fenders. True Great Spirit in the hobby. Thanks Again. H Michael Smith

426HemiChick

Quote from: gearbreath on May 01, 2022, 07:17:39 PM
Hello, 426 Chicks, Thank you for your response on welcoming me  ;) to site. I have been on this site since you started posting and really enjoyed your input and knowledge along with your  kindness in regards to giving another member a pair of Daytona fenders. True Great Spirit in the hobby. Thanks Again. H Michael Smith

Hi Mr. Smith,                  01 May 2022

Thank you for your kind and generous comments. This is a great site filled with great folks that love these cars. We hope you will get the wing car of your dreams soon.

God Bless and Take Care

Best Always

Dena and Christine, the 426 Hemi Chicks

69_500

Quote from: 426HemiChick on April 29, 2022, 07:03:35 PM
Quote from: held1823 on April 29, 2022, 05:29:24 PM

Hi Ernie,               29 April 2022

Who's the Chicago Taxi Driver and what is the rarest color for a Hemi Daytona ?

Personally, we like V2, R4 and Black with a red stripe and wing. Color rarity doesn't interest us, it's what we personally find appealing. We sure wouldn't want the Matador Red that's currently on our Hemi RR, which is going to get a repaint, probably in R4, the same color that's on our 69 6-PK. Don't think V2 would look good on the RR. We are considering Black on Black, though not committed . . . . yet.

Well, this has become a lively thread; the livelier the better. Only a few days remain before the speculation will be proven one way or the other.

Take Care Ernie

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

ernie's favorite Hemi Daytona is Mr Kerbs B5 hemi Daytona. He was nice enough to give both me and Ernie a ride through Chicago last fall on the way to a little get together with some other Mopar owners.

held1823

Quote from: 69_500 on May 02, 2022, 06:13:22 PM
ernie's favorite Hemi Daytona is Mr Kerbs B5 hemi Daytona. He was nice enough to give both me and Ernie a ride through Chicago last fall on the way to a little get together with some other Mopar owners.

Danny and I were the poorest two people at that get together by a LARGE margin, lol. Nothing like mingling around a two million dollar plus 'Cuda with an owner that was beyond cool to meet.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

TONY

in regards to the $900k hemi superbird at BJ this past January.

someone laid out a scenario that is worth thinking about

almost all of these auction houses also have car stores

if they notice that there arent any cars of a specific type listed in their auction that they would take a car from their inventory and run it through the auction. have it "sell" or bid to a high amount, because they know that will bring out many of those cars in their next or future auctions

that hemi bird that sold was far from a pristine example, and i know many like to use the "more money then brains" idium alot, but i find it hard to swallow that hemi bird bringing that much

as seen by the lack of correctness under the hood, this green daytona wasnt restored to the highest level. it may have good paint and body, but the correct detailing isnt there. but from experiance, i have seen some pretty shiney year one restorations bring big $$ because to some of the buyers in that echelon, the value is in the vin and if its a 4-speed

:Twocents:

gtx6970

I'll take a stab. upper 700s and reserve not met

To much green and to much wrong under hood.

the few capable to pull that trigger can afford to wait for a better car and destroy any record sale amount so far.

Aero426

Quote from: TONY on May 03, 2022, 02:51:42 PM

someone laid out a scenario that is worth thinking about

almost all of these auction houses also have car stores

if they notice that there arent any cars of a specific type listed in their auction that they would take a car from their inventory and run it through the auction. have it "sell" or bid to a high amount, because they know that will bring out many of those cars in their next or future auctions

Ding! Ding!   It sets up a floor price.   

6bblgt

there are so many games being played,
if you didn't receive the money from the purchaser, or pay the money to the owner - one doesn't know if the deal went down or at what $$ figure

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,              04 May 2022

Lots of interesting scenarios. Maybe several will prove to be on the money. When there are Big Bucks at stake, anything's possible and reason to give one pause. Our friend Scott was contracted to pick up three cars at BJ after the last auction. When he arrived to pick them up, the buyer had yet to pay for them. They remained at BJ.

Our personal opinion is one needs to know how to play the game and have sufficient funds where they can afford to lose a few. Sure not for us except observation.

As for the green on green on green Daytona, $300K tops and that's a stretch. Not original, not a Roger Gibson Restoration, banged around early on, numerous owners, dubious history, etc. Owner's going to be disappointed. If that car were pristine, all that green is way over the top.

Guess we can have fun speculating and then watching the auction. We're not placing any $$$ bets, that's a given.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

gtx6970

Quote from: 426HemiChick on May 04, 2022, 04:29:22 AM
Hi Folks,              04 May 2022

Lots of interesting scenarios. Maybe several will prove to be on the money. When there are Big Bucks at stake, anything's possible and reason to give one pause. Our friend Scott was contracted to pick up three cars at BJ after the last auction. When he arrived to pick them up, the buyer had yet to pay for them. They remained at BJ.

Our personal opinion is one needs to know how to play the game and have sufficient funds where they can afford to lose a few. Sure not for us except observation.

As for the green on green on green Daytona, $300K tops and that's a stretch. Not original, not a Roger Gibson Restoration, banged around early on, numerous owners, dubious history, etc. Owner's going to be disappointed. If that car were pristine, all that green is way over the top.

Guess we can have fun speculating and then watching the auction. We're not placing any $$$ bets, that's a given.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

300k is lala land. thus car will double that, even if it is all green