News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 side marker lens installation

Started by MaximRecoil, June 21, 2022, 09:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

Recently I lost one of my side marker lenses; it just fell off somewhere while going down the road. I bought another one from a member here and I don't want it to fall off again of course. Were they originally just snapped in or was adhesive used too? On the mounting bezel for the lens that I lost, there's some, what looks to be, black adhesive residue...

... but I don't know if that's original or if some previous owner put some adhesive in there to attach a lens that maybe had broken clips.

If adhesive is supposed to be used, what kind?

JimShine

I put a piece of trim tape between the reflector and the metal housing.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: JimShine on June 21, 2022, 12:37:43 PM
I put a piece of trim tape between the reflector and the metal housing.

Thanks. Do you know if they had double-sided tape or adhesive originally, or were they just snapped in? I guess some tape would be good insurance either way.

JimShine

The cars I have worked on ..i recall seeing a black rectangle of vinyl or rubber in there. But I don't know if it was dried out double stick tape, or some sort of anti-rattle thing.

BJ8Healeys

I'm the original owner of a '69 Charger.  As it happens, I have removed the side markers before sending the body off to be restored and painted.
The lenses of the side markers snap into the base and are retained by plastic "forks", as shown in the (I hope) attached photo.  After 50 years, these plastic things will be brittle and probably break off if an attempt is made to remove them.  
If they are missing, I guess the only thing to do is glue the lens in place.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC  
Steve Byers
XP29H9B280166
383 HP, 4-speed
Havelock, NC

JimShine

The forks are the fastener, but there is something else between the plastic and the metal housing. When I first restored my car, I just snapped the lenses in. I lost two of them over the years before I put trim tape in there to replace whatever those black squares were.

BillT

My passenger rear fell off recently, too.  I got a replacement from Classic Industries.  It was thick double sided foam tape.

-Bill

RTSE440

i have new old stock ones they have a small rectangular piece of double sided tape on them in the middle