News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Using Old Torsion bars to make a knife?

Started by timmycharger, April 30, 2022, 08:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

timmycharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on October 31, 2022, 01:25:31 PM
Not worth the time IMO.

What isn't worth the time? Getting the anvils or making a knife?  :popcrn:

AKcharger

Charger_Fan

I have heard of making knives from leaf springs, bit this is the 1st from old torsion bars. Watching to see what happens...  :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

timmycharger

It has been a while since I have posted on this project but we just got back at it last weekend.  My son finished his first knife using a must milder piece of steel that was easier to work with to get more experience using the forge.

Now that we have a good handle on how to "tune" the forge, we went back at the torsion bar piece that we tried first and failed.  This time around it was much better.  The forge was working great and we got the torsion bar hot enough to flatten and stretch it to exactly where we wanted.  Having a proper anvil made a huge difference, once we find a final spot for the forge, I plan on getting a tree stump to put the anvil on.

Next step is to shape it. We had to stop because my belt grinder, bench grinder and angle grinder were useless against this beast of a piece of metal.  I just ordered some aluminum oxide materials and will go at it again next week.

Looks like my old Torsion bars will finally turn into something!