News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Melted wire help!

Started by tucknroll, May 02, 2022, 03:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucknroll

Anyone know where this brown wire goes behind the dash to the right?

metallicareload99

Do you have two speed windshield wipers? That kinda looks like the wire used for three speed windshield wipers.

Quote from: tucknroll on May 08, 2022, 06:41:06 PM
My new alternator is 75 amps. Should I put an inline fuse in the wire somewhere and what size?

After having some wires short out on the "alternator side" of the electrical system, I decided to put a 100 amp fuse on the alternator output. Not sure how much good it'll do :shruggy:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

tucknroll

I think I've screwed the pooch here guys. Got everything done and connected the battery and the interior lights kept blinking and this thing was making a clicking noise just like the turn signals

tucknroll

I've definitely connected something wrong putting them back in😩

tucknroll

I think I've put the female end for the battery in the slot for the turn signal 😳. The whole car is getting power like a turn signal blinkin and when I hit the turn signal it stays on!

b5blue

You need the FSM schematic as a guide!

Nacho-RT74

well fortunatelly the batt wire is not conected to a ground source/feed somewhere around the bulkhead
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

tucknroll

I'm getting deeper and deeper. Think I'm gonna have to take it to a good mechanic I know

doctor4766

Quote from: tucknroll on May 09, 2022, 05:57:17 PM
Anyone know where this brown wire goes behind the dash to the right?

If my memory serves me correctly, I think the brown is to the wiper washer switch
Gotta love a '69

tucknroll

Thanks!  That's sounds right cause it's right there at it

doctor4766

Yes, I think both sides of the switch have a brown wire connected, so you can't go too far wrong
Gotta love a '69

tucknroll

We'll I finally figured it out. Had some wires crossed but as of now she's running better than ever

Nacho-RT74

Why the electrical areas are just important like fuel and brakes? You found it out!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

472 R/T SE

I see you pulled the cluster.  Im assuming you checked the ammeter connections?

Those ammeters are the #1 cause for fires when they sit and the battery is connected.  All the power runs through them.
If you're not disconnecting the battery after every cruise, Id start.  Regardless of if you think its fixed.
I run the volt instead and still disconnect batty.

Old days of acid reproduction batties and your issue would make the batty spew outta the vent holes in the caps ruining drivers side engine panel paint.  DAMHIK, happened 2 or 3 times with my other Charger.

tucknroll

Dang! I'm gonna tackle that next then. Hey when y'all say dielectric grease for the bulk connections do y'all mean like pack them full of it?

472 R/T SE

Quote from: tucknroll on May 17, 2022, 06:05:28 AM
Dang! I'm gonna tackle that next then. Hey when y'all say dielectric grease for the bulk connections do y'all mean like pack them full of it?

You can.  Then once the connection is made wipe off excess and use in next slot?

b5blue

I use "DeoxIT Shield S5" and Boeshield T-9 for protection, Caig Lab's D-100 for cleaning.  :2thumbs:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: b5blue on May 19, 2022, 09:05:06 AM
I use "DeoxIT Shield S5" and Boeshield T-9 for protection, Caig Lab's D-100 for cleaning.  :2thumbs:

Thanks.  I wanna do a 6 year maintenance on my hot rod, lol.  I planned on starting at bulkhead and crs what to use.

My GV OD keeps popping fuses.  My dash wiring is spaghetti from PO so Im clueless where to start?  Id rather pull the dash, replace core & harness all at once. Im running a big stereo with factory wiring, smh. 
No sense in replacing alternator.

b5blue

If you find heavy oxidation vinegar with salt added will clean if soaked. Just be sure to flush very well or it will continue to attack. I put a sprayer on a bottle of 70% alcohol to flush.