News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finders fees

Started by Pinballjim, May 09, 2022, 03:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinballjim

Hi Gang.   What do we all think of finders fees?  I've been looking for a wing car for what seems like an eternity.  I've wanted one for DECADES but always thought one was out of my reach.   Now, as I get older, I am in a position where I can actually get one (within reason).  For the past 18 months or so, I've been searching but so far, nothing.  I don't want a perfect show poodle but rather one I can drive.  No tributes, the real thing. 

Would it make sense to offer a finders fee for suitable car?  What's the going rate?  Has anyone here offered a finders fee and if so, how'd it work out?   

426HemiChick

Quote from: Pinballjim on May 09, 2022, 03:59:28 PM
Hi Gang.   What do we all think of finders fees?  I've been looking for a wing car for what seems like an eternity.  I've wanted one for DECADES but always thought one was out of my reach.   Now, as I get older, I am in a position where I can actually get one (within reason).  For the past 18 months or so, I've been searching but so far, nothing.  I don't want a perfect show poodle but rather one I can drive.  No tributes, the real thing. 

Would it make sense to offer a finders fee for suitable car?  What's the going rate?  Has anyone here offered a finders fee and if so, how'd it work out?   

Hi Jim,                 09 May 2022

What exactly are you looking for and how much are you willing to spend $$$ wise?

Here's the rub: If'n you're willing to spend, let's say for argument's sake, $200K, and we find a nice Hemi Daytona, Matching Numbers, in good shape for $200K, we're going to buy it ourselves. Anyone who would do otherwise ain't dealing with a full deck.

The reality is, you need to do the leg work yourself; that's the only way you will be successful in your pursuit of a wing car. Just maybe, you might hit it lucky and someone might provide you with a lead, but don't waste your time waiting for that to happen.

In all seriousness, wing cars are becoming more scarce and expensive with time. We wish you the best of luck in your noble adventure. Keep in mind: Everyone that wants one will never succeed, only a fortunate few.

Good Luck Jim; we do hope you defy all odds and get the wing car of your dreams.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Pinballjim

Thanks for your input .   I really do appreciate it.   You should know I have done much leg work.    I'm not such a fool as to think I will get a Hemi wing car for 200k.    I agree.  NO ONE would be silly enough as to pass up a deal such as that.

I'm realistic.    I have saved enough money to get a U code automatic Superbird.    I believe a Daytona is out of reach for me but a bird is within reach.   What's my budget?  Well, I do not feel comfortable talking numbers on a public forum.   I'm looking for a very private and discreet deal.   No nonsense.    I'm not looking to screw anyone out of their car.    I'm also not looking to get screwed.   I feel as though the big auctions will do just that -  Screw both the buyer and seller.   I just need that little hint or tip to connect with the owner of a car that isn't perfect, but nice.   Maybe an older restoration, or a car that the owner is looking to upgrade to a nicer example (maybe a Superbird to a Daytona).   The problem is, I just don't have the connections.   So given that, is a finders fee something worth offering?  If so, how much?   Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

70 sublime

I have been following along with your reports of looking for a wing car
Problem is there are not many wings to choose from
It almost seems to be you have to have a wing to know others that have them also Makes it hard to get into the club  :brickwall:

Finders fee
Well if you are looking to spend say $150 000 on a car and having no luck a finders fee might help but you will not know unless you try
Is $5000 enough to get someone to tell you about a car they know lives next door ?
Guess if you word it to include succesful purchase
At this point you have nothing to loose if nothing turns up

How to find the person that might know of a car will be just as hard I feel

Still think it is going to be more of be in the right place at the right time kind of deal in the end
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

held1823

the beauty of this site is that fellow enthusiasts will pass along that info for FREE. be patient, one of us will hear of one soon enough.

there is a local v code that might be made available soon but no idea yet on what the asking price will be
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Mopar Nut

Since you live close to Carlisle Pennsylvania, I would hit it up and ask around there.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Pinballjim

Thanks for chiming in.  I've done everything you all suggested.  I joined the club (I feel like a complete TOOL belonging to a club and I don't even own one).  I was at Carlisle last year poking around but nuthin'.  All I can do is wait but I feel helpless doing so.  I'm not part of the "in crowd" so unless someone sees this and reaches out, there's nothing I can do.   My determination will only carry me so far.  I need a little shove to get over the hill.  And I WILL get over the hill!!   I truly appreciate the advice.   

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Pinballjim

Nice.  Thanks.   I'll check it out!!

426HemiChick

Hi Jim,               12 May 2022

Looks like birdsandbees is on to something. The Bird looks good and seems to be priced in your range.

Picked up my latest copy of MCG (it was hidden under a box). The $990K bird from the January 2022 BJ auction didn't get raves and it alluded to a bit of chicanery with the bidding. We don't put a lot of faith in the reporting of their "Star" reporter so take his report with a grain of salt.

Do look at the other wing cars that went across the block at that auction. Not really high prices so keep your hopes up. Be sure to read the complete article in the May 2022 issue of MCG.

We are going to stick with our estimate of $300K for the Green on Green on Green Hemi Daytona that is scheduled for the upcoming MECUM auction at Indy.

Take Care Jim and Good Luck.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Pinballjim

OK.   I took a little time to look at the pictures.  Very nice car.  I'll be watching but I know better than to think this car will fall within my budget.  Even with a replacement trans, my guess is it'll bring north of 225.  Remember, the last bird on BAT was a U code automatic that ended at 211K.  Plus the fees, plus the shipping, plus the state tax.   You can bet I'll be watching!!!!