News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

alternator rebuild

Started by r4daytona, May 13, 2022, 09:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

Apparently my alternator shit the bed over winter.  No idea why,  worked great last year and now it shows discharge when it runs and when i disconnect the battery ground the engine shuts off.  Napa also says it's bad.  So where can I send it to have it rebuilt? No idea why it worked when I parked it and it doesn't now- and it only has about 5,000 miles on it!

Any suggestions??

John_Kunkel

Why send it for a rebuild? Check for a local shop.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

70 sublime

Um if you disconect the ground from the battery every car will stop running
You have to disconect the positive post to see if the alternator is making power to keep the car running
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

taxspeaker

Here is where i go
Jim Ridge at Dixie. He seems to be sending his stuff to Paul Jacobs moparnut@twc.com  in Evansville now. I have used both for multiple alternators and starters and highly recommend both.
Bob j

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 13, 2022, 11:42:56 AM
Um if you disconect the ground from the battery every car will stop running
You have to disconect the positive post to see if the alternator is making power to keep the car running
Either disconecting ground or positive will stall the engine as far alt ouput is not enough to keep the engine running.

About the OP problem... you can check by yourself if the problem is so simple than a brush needing to be replaced. If so, no need to send it to rebuild, just replace the brush by yourself. No special skills or tooling for that
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

472 R/T SE

Quote from: r4daytona on May 13, 2022, 09:17:11 AM
Apparently my alternator shit the bed over winter.  No idea why,  worked great last year and now it shows discharge when it runs and when i disconnect the battery ground the engine shuts off.  Napa also says it's bad.  So where can I send it to have it rebuilt? No idea why it worked when I parked it and it doesn't now- and it only has about 5,000 miles on it!

Any suggestions??

Some of the best giving advice!  Id try the subforum Mopar Garage here as well?

Lots of skookum members only troll the diy fix it forums.