News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Real 70 Daytona found

Started by ACUDANUT, April 26, 2017, 04:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C5X DAYTONA

No 70 Daytona's have surfaced because NONE were built..   I even showed Bob McCurry a photo of the watermelon car and said that his name was on the folder that the photo was in.  He said he never saw it or knew anything about it and that they never built a 70 Daytona in his garage or any other plant..        Oddics,   was it Andy Agusta that McCurry used to send down to the Plymouth showrooms with Dodge Scat Pack stickers and put them on the Plymouth's?   I can't remember if that was Andy he had do that.  McCurry told me a few stories about Andy.  He really liked him.    I used to give McCurry the Scat Pack Stickers every now and then to put on his new Lexus's he got twice a year.
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on May 09, 2017, 02:01:56 PM
No 70 Daytona's have surfaced because NONE were built..   I even showed Bob McCurry a photo of the watermelon car and said that his name was on the folder that the photo was in.  He said he never saw it or knew anything about it and that they never built a 70 Daytona in his garage or any other plant..        Oddics,   was it Andy Agusta that McCurry used to send down to the Plymouth showrooms with Dodge Scat Pack stickers and put them on the Plymouth's?   I can't remember if that was Andy he had do that.  McCurry told me a few stories about Andy.  He really liked him.    I used to give McCurry the Scat Pack Stickers every now and then to put on his new Lexus's he got twice a year.

I was going to say something about old geezers and their memories - until I......     

Sorry, I forgot what I was going to say.   OH, I just remembered!   I'm an old geezer.   :lol:

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: rainbow4jd on May 10, 2017, 05:45:09 PM

I was going to say something about old geezers and their memories - until I......     

Sorry, I forgot what I was going to say.   OH, I just remembered!   I'm an old geezer.   :lol:

HA-HA.     But referring to Bob McCurry.  He was sharp as a tack.   Last I visited with him about 5 months before he passed. 
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

Dukeboy1965

This purple '70 Charger has been researched and investigated several times and is a '70 R/T 6-pack car converted by a body shop, by direction of the buyer through the dealership, to look like a Daytona with a sunroof.  PERIOD!!  All the documentation Jerry received with the car was proven to be fake/fabricated, i.e. the window sticker, data tag, build sheet, microfiche copies, etc.  What we do know is it is an actual R/T six pack car and would be a very nice car to own regardless!

odcics2

No 70 Daytona's have surfaced because NONE were built..   I even showed Bob McCurry a photo of the watermelon car and said that his name was on the folder that the photo was in.  He said he never saw it or knew anything about it and that they never built a 70 Daytona in his garage or any other plant..        Oddics,   was it Andy Agusta that McCurry used to send down to the Plymouth showrooms with Dodge Scat Pack stickers and put them on the Plymouth's?   I can't remember if that was Andy he had do that.  McCurry told me a few stories about Andy.  He really liked him.    I used to give McCurry the Scat Pack Stickers every now and then to put on his new Lexus's he got twice a year.

Sorry for the delayed answer - Yes, it was Andy Agosta. Same guy that was in charge of the #6 Show Car Daytona. He took it to shows around the country during the time it was supposedly racing!   :smilielol:
Cotton Owens had 2 Daytonas during 1970, and the Showcar #6 was NOT one of them. NEVER HAPPENED.

About that folder - I saw it in person.   The tab stated: "McCurry's Daytona". The black and white pics of the "watermelon" car were in the folder.   Obviously, a converted 1970 R/T.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Charger_Fan

YES! I love it when an old interesting thread like this gets burped back up to the top! :icon_smile_big:

Any chance the pics in post# 32 on page 2 can be fixed?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: Charger_Fan on January 24, 2018, 01:01:47 PM
YES! I love it when an old interesting thread like this gets burped back up to the top! :icon_smile_big:

Any chance the pics in post# 32 on page 2 can be fixed?

I was thinking the same thing.

It is a good read. I wonder who owns the purple 1970 Daytona now?

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

1969Dodge

I was at the Chrysler Proving Grounds and was told it was an original 70 Daytona. At that time I had a 69 R4 Daytona and had restored another Daytona so I was fairly versed on what was correct and not. It was purple with a vinyl top and sun roof but the first thing I noticed was the front side marker was the original that the 70 Charger has and none on the valance. I felt the inside of the valance and it was smooth with no welding marks or distortion of the valance being doctored. I looked under the valance as best I could and it looked legit. If it was a fake they went to a lot of trouble to make the valance smooth inside and out. You have to remember back then a restoration was a slick paint job without all the paint dobs and runs in the correct areas. Back when I saw this car why go to all the trouble to fake a Daytona when you could buy one fairly reasonable. That's my two cents

Aero426

Quote from: 1969Dodge on April 03, 2020, 04:54:11 PM
    Back when I saw this car why go to all the trouble to fake a Daytona when you could buy one fairly reasonable. That's my two cents
If you wanted a Daytona in purple and loaded up with options and a sunroof, the only way would be to build one.   This car was built long after the Creative Industries cars.     It is also possible there were some leftover "race" valances without the extra stamping operation.   

472 R/T SE

Another old one I'm dragging up.

I'm now back home in Hays after a 3 decade leave.

JJ used to have a place off Toulon Rd with a warehouse out back.  That's where he kept the cars he didn't sell from WnS.
Does he still own it?
If so I can contact him to check it's status.  I seen that car a million times and back then it was just another car, lol.

I tried to post pix I took of it but I'm apparently behind times, lol.

Also, I remember reading a Jackson letter where he said he was headed to Creative to pick it up.
If it's still local,  I'd interview that narcissist JJ for my you tube channel, lol.