News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Customized 69 Daytona Charger at show

Started by nascarxx29, May 31, 2022, 02:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

Pictures appears to be fuzzy lol

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Convert

If that car was allowed in the Semi Custom hardtop class, I'd love to see what it took to qualify for the Full Custom class.

426HemiChick

Quote from: Convert on May 31, 2022, 12:10:03 PM
If that car was allowed in the Semi Custom hardtop class, I'd love to see what it took to qualify for the Full Custom class.

Hi Folks,             01 June 2022

Old saying: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Convert

I was questioning the show class it was in, not the car. I love those late 60's early 70's paint jobs because I lived thru those times and remember stuff like that fondly. Having painted a few cars myself, it takes everything I know to do a single color properly. I understand the what it takes to create something like that. Those people are masters.

6bblgt

"Full Custom" was probably reserved for builds like these

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                01 June 2022

We Hope the Daytona featured in this thread, if a genuine Daytona, met a better fate and was returned to original through careful complete restoration.

We understand the love for art, but a genuine Daytona is not the place for that kind of art. True art for that poor car would be a Roger Gibson Restoration.

Our questions are: "Whatever happened to that Daytona?  Where is it now?"

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

aerolith

It begs the question ''WHY''???

I suppose folks who have time and money will 'dis-honour'' any car that's 'cheap' on the car-lot... :slap: :slap: :slap:

The customising is fine, its only paint (as we all say), but the fluffy bits are pure indulgence and demeans the AERO cars of 1969 and 1970... :badidea: :dance: :image_294343:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

hemi-hampton

With all the older custom cars being restored to original, no custom cars will exist. some people like them left as customs :scratchchin: :shruggy:

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 01, 2022, 03:31:29 PM
Hi Folks,                01 June 2022

We Hope the Daytona featured in this thread, if a genuine Daytona, met a better fate and was returned to original through careful complete restoration.

We understand the love for art, but a genuine Daytona is not the place for that kind of art. True art for that poor car would be a Roger Gibson Restoration.

Our questions are: "Whatever happened to that Daytona?  Where is it now?"

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Tell that to Taxspeaker, doesn't he have some unrestored Customs? :scratchchin:

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 05, 2022, 03:42:29 PM

Hi hemi-Hampton,              05 June 2022

We only know of the unrestored 100% original Hemi Daytona Survivor he bought from us.

We can't imagine Bob buying that fuzzy creature and leaving it remain the laughing stock of Wing Cars. If that car still exists as in the posted photo, it needs a full blown restoration by "The One and Only, Roger Gibson."

That's our opinion and we are sticking with it !!!

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Aero426

The lace paint is pretty cool and an art unto itself.    If that car existed today and you rolled into a show,  people would go bananas over it.    It would be a hit. 

hemigeno

Quote from: Aero426 on June 05, 2022, 09:00:19 PM
The lace paint is pretty cool and an art unto itself.    If that car existed today and you rolled into a show,  people would go bananas over it.    It would be a hit. 

:iagree:

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemigeno on June 05, 2022, 09:18:52 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on June 05, 2022, 09:00:19 PM

:iagree:
Hi Hemigeno, Aero426,           05 June 2022

It may be a hit at a show, BUT, what show? What would it hammer at BJ or Mecum? That's what counts.

To us, it belongs in a "Carnival Freak Show." If it's low mileage, all original except for the paint, it would have some value via high quality repaint in its original color.

Maybe we're too old fashioned to appreciate weird looking cars. We like shows that have tools, machines, heavy equipment, Big Trucks, real Wing cars, cars not powered by batteries, airplanes, etc. Rembrandt's don't do a thing for us.

To each his own, that's what freedom brings. Enjoy it . . . . while you still have some.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

JB400

Period done customs can be worth just as much as an original car, just depends on who did the custom, and how tasteful it is.  Not much for the fuzzy stuff, but the lace job does look cool :coolgleamA:  I wouldn't be afraid to be seen in it. Need to bring back the bell bottoms and the corderoy suits

Redbird

I think it is pretty cool!

I am going to guess the base color is White, and the lace paint is an Ice Blue.

I don't think the fuzz snow is cotton candy, the mice would be all over it at night. But I don't know enough about fabric products to offer an opinion as to what the product is. Maybe white fiberglass insulation?

I kind of like the fuzz on the wheels, it gives it a sense of moving fast. The other fuzz gives it the feeling of a car parked out at night in a snowy night snowstorm. Someone's real driver.

It is a whole lot better than the rows of stock restored cars today, even if they have the paint daubs re-created IMHO.

People actually having fun, as opposed to people standing around telling others how much the value has gone up because it is perfectly restored. Imagine that.

Redbird

On a closely allied topic. Tony D'Agostino has some pictures on eBay of a 1969 Road Runner at Cobo Hall in Detroit. The car is shown on the base platform used for the Duster1 at the manufacturers' shows throughout the country ( also used for the orange Superbird in Chicago and NY in 1970 without the background Illuminated sign). Interesting that the display of the '69 Road Runner in Tony's pictures has the illuminated background with the name "Probe" painted on it. I have seen this background, which Steven Juliano owned, with several other headline names on it. It appears that Plymouth changed the lettering on it depending on the venue.

Tony's pictures appear to be from some type of custom car show at Cobo in 1969. Plymouth had to have some involvement in the '69 Road Runner car in the pictures, they owned the base display. The car in Tony's pictures has a big Road Runner on the door, plus the other Road Runner in the pictures has a big door Road Runner, with "Car of the Year" Quarter panel stickers. So it has to be from after the '69 Car of the Year announcement.

Interesting in several ways as to respect Superbirds. First, Doug at one time in the newsletter mentioned that Superbirds were spittballed to be called "Probe" by Plymouth. Second that the '69 Car of the Year quarter stickers predated Superbirds. An idea there? Third, could we have almost gotten big door Stickers on Superbirds instead of Wing decals?

If only Jonn Herlitz was still around to ask.

aerolith

I love a good custom car and paint job too!

But this is just wrong... :slap: :slap: :slap:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 05, 2022, 07:56:21 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 05, 2022, 03:42:29 PM

Hi hemi-Hampton,              05 June 2022

We only know of the unrestored 100% original Hemi Daytona Survivor he bought from us.

We can't imagine Bob buying that fuzzy creature and leaving it remain the laughing stock of Wing Cars. If that car still exists as in the posted photo, it needs a full blown restoration by "The One and Only, Roger Gibson."

That's our opinion and we are sticking with it !!!

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

I'm sure the fuzzy stuff would come off easy enough, looks temporary to me. I don't like the fuzzy stuff either but with out it I think the paint job would look cool. As for Roger Gibson Resto, He charged the last guy $375,000.00 to Restore his Wing car. How many people are willing & able to spend $375k on a Resto? Not many. I say save your $375k & keep the custom paint. And if you don't have a extra $375 K laying around to blow then you'll be keeping that custom paint anyways. LEON.

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 06, 2022, 10:34:25 PM

I'm sure the fuzzy stuff would come off easy enough, looks temporary to me. I don't like the fuzzy stuff either but with out it I think the paint job would look cool. As for Roger Gibson Resto, He charged the last guy $375,000.00 to Restore his Wing car. How many people are willing & able to spend $375k on a Resto? Not many. I say save your $375k & keep the custom paint. And if you don't have a extra $375 K laying around to blow then you'll be keeping that custom paint anyways. LEON.

Hi LEON,              07 June 2022

If the Roger Gibson Daytona restoration you are referring is the one we were thinking of, we think it would easily pull $2mil at BJ or Mecum. There's a big difference between a Roger Gibson Restoration and everyone else's.

That green Hemi Daytona that went for $1.2 mil, having a dubious history, no mention of who did the restoration, which we heard wasn't done well, could pull the 1.2 mil, then Roger's last Hemi Daytona Restoration, baring a complete collapse of our economy, should be well worth $2mil.

If we bought the lace trimmed Daytona and couldn't afford a Roger Gibson Restoration, we'd buy enough V2 spray cans to make it look respectable. In our book Daytona's are sacred; the photo makes it looks more like a Tablecloth than a Daytona, a sacrilege for certain.

Time will tell.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

6bblgt

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 07, 2022, 12:22:52 PM
That green Hemi Daytona that went for $1.2 mil, having a dubious history, no mention of who did the restoration, which we heard wasn't done well, could pull the 1.2 mil, then Roger's last Hemi Daytona Restoration, baring a complete collapse of our economy, should be well worth $2mil.

that's not how the collector car market works -  :Twocents: the automatic car isn't worth what the green car brought at auction

426HemiChick

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 07, 2022, 12:34:47 PM

that's not how the collector car market works -  :Twocents: the automatic car isn't worth what the green car brought at auction

Hi 6bblgt,              07 June 2022

We'd have to disagree. The true production numbers for Hemi Daytona's is about half what has been the purported number 70 and the number of Autos Vs. 4-Spds are about equal. Given that, we'd much rather have a RG restored Hemi Auto Daytona than a cobbled together Hemi 4spd of dubious pedigree. Quite frankly, the green, green, green Daytona is missing a pedigree. Old saying: "A fool and his money are soon parted."

As said above: Time will tell.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,               07 June 2022

Still no mention as to the whereabouts of the "Tablecloth" Daytona . . . . if'n it still exists.

Hopefully, someone rescued it and made a respectable Daytona out of it so it could hold its hood up high without being laughed at.

Can't argue the talent of the artist, just the medium selected to display it. We have an old table we'd be willing to trade for the Daytona . . . . even up.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Daytona R/T SE

The "fuzzy stuff" on this Daytona was called "Angel Hair"

It was used as a Christmas decoration.

We had it on our Christmas tree every year when I was a kid in the Sixties.

There is no way this car was driven with this stuff on it, it was just stuck on there for show.

I also remember people putting huge gobs of it around their back tires on their cars in the indoor car shows back in the day, trying to make it look like the tires were smoking.

They quit making it a long time ago.

Come to find out...

It was fiberglass.  :eek2:

http://mid2mod.blogspot.com/2011/12/back-in-day-angel-hair.html

DAY CLONA

[/quote]

It may be a hit at a show, BUT, what show? What would it hammer at BJ or Mecum? That's what counts.

To us, it belongs in a "Carnival Freak Show." If it's low mileage, all original except for the paint, it would have some value via high quality repaint in its original color.

Maybe we're too old fashioned to appreciate weird looking cars. We like shows that have tools, machines, heavy equipment, Big Trucks, real Wing cars

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

[/quote]

426HemiChick

Ola Day Clona,                08 June 2022

We appreciate your humor.

Have you ever owned a real Daytona?

Thought so.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

426HemiChick

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 08, 2022, 02:27:27 PM
Oh boy

Hi Nascarxx29,                  08 June 2022

You're right, Oh boy

Looks like a totaled 57 "Cheby." Always thought art was in the "Eyes of the Beholder." Even my newly rebuilt right eyeball cringed at that one. Have to be careful I don't look at something that destroys it.

Take Care

Best Always

Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 07, 2022, 10:04:48 PM

There is no way this car was driven with this stuff on it, it was just stuck on there for show.

I also remember people putting huge gobs of it around their back tires on their cars in the indoor car shows back in the day, trying to make it look like the tires were smoking.

Come to find out...

Hi Daytona R/T SE,           08 June 2022

We remember the stuff though it came out after my (Christine) "Yout," as Rush used to say.

Kid during the sixties? You are still young. I was in the service during most of that time. Did get home long enough to buy a 68 RR and 69 SB. We still have them.

Things have changed a lot. No More Angel Hair. Probably was a health hazard, like everything is these days.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 08, 2022, 04:18:27 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 07, 2022, 10:04:48 PM

Come to find out...

Hi Daytona R/T SE,           08 June 2022

We remember the stuff though it came out after my (Christine) "Yout," as Rush used to say.

Kid during the sixties? You are still young. I was in the service during most of that time. Did get home long enough to buy a 68 RR and 69 SB. We still have them.

Things have changed a lot. No More Angel Hair. Probably was a health hazard, like everything is these days.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

:cheers: ;)

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,             24 June 2022

Still wondering if the "Fuzzy" Daytona still exists. Hopefully it does and has been restored minus the fuzz. Maybe we'll find it in a bargain priced art show for pennies on the dollar; there's always hope.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

DAY CLONA

New pic for anyone wanting to add to their collection of info/pics/etc....

MikeG