News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 R/T SE

Started by doctor4766, June 02, 2022, 08:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctor4766

Got a lead on another Charger so I pounced on it.
1970 R/T SE which I believe is matching numbers and it has a list of options a mile long, including A/C, cruise control, electric windows and a luggage rack!
The car was originally EW1 white but has been painted candy red some 15 years ago and is showing it's age.
Still deciding whether to keep it and restore it or do a few repairs and move it along.
If I keep it I'll need to sell my '69 to fund the restoration.
Here's a couple of pics
Gotta love a '69

hemi-hampton

The thumbnail pics are so small I can't see it. your allowed pics up to 400kb. yours are like 10kb :shruggy:

here's a pic of my car below.

doctor4766

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 02, 2022, 09:23:05 PM
The thumbnail pics are so small I can't see it. your allowed pics up to 400kb. yours are like 10kb :shruggy:

here's a pic of my car below.

Hmm they look ok at my end but I'll try resize them
Gotta love a '69

Mopar Nut

Keep them both if you can, you'll regret it later.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Mopar Nut on June 03, 2022, 02:59:45 AM
Keep them both if you can, you'll regret it later.

Yup! I agree! Keep em both!

Todd

70 sublime

Keep the 70 the way it is
If it is getting a little old on the paint you will feel better about driving it more often when you will not care so much about every little chip in the paint

I am building a nice 70 myself and have a crappy 69 to drive while I work on it
Got thinking the other day when I get the 70 done would I really want to make the 69 nice also ??
Not sure what I will do when I get to that point
The 69 is nice to jump in and go for lunch no matter how grubby my work clothes are  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

472 R/T SE

Got a pic of the tag?

My R/T SE is loaded as well.  One more listed code and itd been a two tagger.

doctor4766

Another
Gotta love a '69

doctor4766

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on June 03, 2022, 05:46:50 PM
Got a pic of the tag?

My R/T SE is loaded as well.  One more listed code and itd been a two tagger.

Yep.
I replaced the small pics in the opening post with the fender tag
Gotta love a '69

doctor4766

Quote from: 70 sublime on June 03, 2022, 07:10:36 AM
Keep the 70 the way it is
If it is getting a little old on the paint you will feel better about driving it more often when you will not care so much about every little chip in the paint

I am building a nice 70 myself and have a crappy 69 to drive while I work on it
Got thinking the other day when I get the 70 done would I really want to make the 69 nice also ??
Not sure what I will do when I get to that point
The 69 is nice to jump in and go for lunch no matter how grubby my work clothes are  :2thumbs:

I would love to keep both but finances do not allow unfortunately.
This '70 deserves a full resto, including going back to it's white paint so whilst I'd be happy having a beater as well, this one is too good to be that car, so It's one or the other
Gotta love a '69

70 sublime

The picturue of the car from the back
What is the chrome thing under the license plate ?

doctor4766

Quote from: 70 sublime on June 03, 2022, 10:43:29 PM
The picturue of the car from the back
What is the chrome thing under the license plate ?
It's actually a black rubber cover for trailer hitch wiring.
The previous owner used to tow a van.
Gotta love a '69

70 sublime

hemi-hampton

Better Pics now. Thanks. From the Fender Tag it looks like an Export Model. What Country do you live in? LEON.

doctor4766

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 04, 2022, 02:19:02 PM
Better Pics now. Thanks. From the Fender Tag it looks like an Export Model. What Country do you live in? LEON.
I'm in Australia but the previous owner bought it in Rhodesia in 1980, moved to South Africa then brought it to Oz about 14 years ago.
Gotta love a '69

hemi-hampton

Wow, it's been all around the World then. LEON.

doctor4766

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 05, 2022, 03:33:47 PM
Wow, it's been all around the World then. LEON.

Yes.
And only just over 100000 miles
Gotta love a '69

Alaskan_TA

The odometer with red 1/0ths indicates a replacement speedometer.

If there a sticker in the glove box or elsewhere noting the mileage from the original speedometer?

If it has a matching broadcast sheet, what are the Y codes at top right?

Any X codes near the bottom of the sheet?

Kern Dog

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 07, 2022, 06:30:31 AM

The odometer looks black and white from here.

doctor4766

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 07, 2022, 06:30:31 AM

If there a sticker in the glove box or elsewhere noting the mileage from the original speedometer?

If it has a matching broadcast sheet, what are the Y codes at top right?

Any X codes near the bottom of the sheet?

Original speedometer by the look of things.
Y codes are:
Build to spec for - 9
Sold car sales bank - 4

X codes
LT Beam shift - 5
Label mfg for export - 6
Gotta love a '69

hemi-hampton

Being a Export Car maybe original Speedometer was in Kilometers? :scratchchin: :shruggy:

The Y09 tells you it's a Export Car. So does the E before Von #.  LEON.

P.S. X21 would be Kilometers.

P.S.S. I've seen some exports have a extra Export tag on Radiator Core support.

doctor4766

This is in miles and by the look of it, the gauge faces don't appear to have been renewed.
Was Canada considered as an export market? Reason I ask is that that section of the build sheet refers to X Export Canada X
Gotta love a '69

hemi-hampton

I don't think Canada was considered a Export. but if I remember right a Canadian model would have a C letter before Von# & it would have a  Y07 for Canadian. But I'm far from any expert so could be wrong here. LEON.

Challenger340

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 07, 2022, 10:43:59 PM
I don't think Canada was considered a Export. but if I remember right a Canadian model would have a C letter before Von# & it would have a  Y07 for Canadian. But I'm far from any expert so could be wrong here. LEON.

Wasn't it a "B" prefix order number to designate Canadian ? I'm no expert either but all the Canadian Charger's I've seen here are "B" prefix Order Numbers..... but built identical spec to USA builds.
No matter.... I think "any" letter before the order number may designate export/Canadian/built for where-ever.....
with,
only the US cars strictly "numerical" Order Numbers

That's how 6bblgt here on this Site tipped me off that mine was NOT a Canadian Charger even though I'm in Canada..... NO "B" before the order number.... turns out mine was Y14 Sold new in San Diego to a USN Fighter Pilot "Top Gun" at Miramar AFB Ca.... who I was then able to contact/shoot the breeze with... what a great Guy, TONS of history.... unfortunately he passed last May, such a loss.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Alaskan_TA

I'll try to clear some of this up.....

Y09 is actually 'ordered from overseas'. The 'export' moniker is a misnomer.

Case in point......

Chrysler had a Military Sales Program, this allowed US military personnel to order a car via the local PX to be shipped to a dealership of their choice inside the USA.

So many Y09 cars never left the USA, which is also the reason we see Y09 cars with N95 - California Emissions.

These did have the Y09, they also show Y14 & Y11 on the broadcast sheets.

Y11 is 'Domestic Publications' so the invoices to the 'ship to' dealership inside the USA had their names and addresses on them. Same for the Mulroney label.

C / Y07 is for 1970, it changed to B / Y07 for 1971.

Y07 cars are not considered exports from the USA just as cars built at the Windsor, Ontario plant for US sale are not considered imports.

That are also plenty of letter prefix VONs for cars destined for US sale, D, J, K, M, Q, R, S, T & W to name some.

The
QuoteX Export Canada X
possibly refers to the country that the car was shipped from. I know Chrysler had at least two shippers on the east coast, one in Canada & one in NY state.

I have seen two broadcast sheets with HAWAII at the bottom also.