News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 R/T SE

Started by doctor4766, June 02, 2022, 08:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctor4766

Some interesting information being shared here.
Thanks guys.

The order number on the build sheet begins with B07 btw
Is it worth me posting up a pic of the sheet? There's a heap more info on there that might help in the discussion.
Gotta love a '69

Alaskan_TA

B07 is the SPD / Scheduled Production Date - November 7th, 1969. (1970 model year)

Actual build dates were not recorded back then though.

If the original Mylar door sticker is still there, it would show the month & year of completion, just not the actual day.

Does the N88 - Automatic Speed Control still work?

doctor4766

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 08, 2022, 07:16:46 PM
B07 is the SPD / Scheduled Production Date - November 7th, 1969. (1970 model year)

Actual build dates were not recorded back then though.

If the original Mylar door sticker is still there, it would show the month & year of completion, just not the actual day.

Does the N88 - Automatic Speed Control still work?
The vehicle has been painted, so no door sticker unfortunately.
I haven't tested the cruise control yet but plan to once the weather is a little dryer
Gotta love a '69

hemi-hampton

In my opinion, I say sell the 69 & restore this 70 R/T SE back to Factory original. With the long list of options, a rare valuable car. Just my opinion, others will vary :scratchchin: :shruggy: :Twocents: LEON.

Alaskan_TA

I have seen Mylar door stickers still intact, in one case under 10 layers of re-paints.  :scratchchin:

1970 is my favorite model year.

doctor4766

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 08, 2022, 08:57:33 PM
I have seen Mylar door stickers still intact, in one case under 10 layers of re-paints.  :scratchchin:

1970 is my favorite model year.
I was always partial to the '69 year model but this '70 is growing on me, although I'm still not completely sold on the front bumper in comparison.
Gotta love a '69

jefferson

Nice car I saw it advertised too
Cool find being an RT SE
Keep us updated!

Challenger340

What a great Car... very well optioned, CONGRATS !

This may be a bit off topic, so my apologies.... but I've often wondered about the length difference between a '69 and '70 ?

IMO, the 1970's are hands down the best looking from the front with the wrap around bumper,
that said,
whenever I take a side profile look they(1970) seem 'longer' on the Front end than the 1969's.

Has anyone ever measured from say the front door/fender gap to the very front on each to compare, seems the 1970's have more 'overhung' body out front of the front tires than a 1969 ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Kern Dog

I have.
I expected the '70 to be longer but the fenders measure the same length. The '70 loop bumper sticks out off the body about the same as the '69 but is top to bottom instead of being down low like the 68 and 69 models.

doctor4766

Yeah I was expecting that too, but after having both parked in my somewhat small garage at home on separate occasions over the last few days, I can confirm that I can only just close the roller door with a few millimetres to spare with either car.

I have a nice offer on the 69 that should be confirmed in the next day or 2, pending the buyer's bank coming to the party, so it looks as though my mind may have been made up for me if his finance comes through.  

Got her up on a lift at the local garage on Friday and although it's difficult to read the engine number with old paint flaking off, it appears to be the original, so I'm pleased with that.
The floor pans all look solid as are the frame rails, with no evidence of replacement, confirming that this Charger has only lived in dry climates.
The undercoating seems to have served it's job too.

Gotta love a '69

hemi-hampton

Do you have the Broadcast Sheet? Some call it a Build Sheet or Maroney Sheet. LEON.

doctor4766

I do have it and it's in excellent shape compared to the sheet that was in my '69
Gotta love a '69

TPR

I saw the fb post for the sale of an orange '69 w/ black stripe in WA and I wondered if it was yours.
Now I see why you have to let it go. The '70 will be beautiful when completed.
I would have loved to make you an offer for the '69, but I just can't reach it at the moment.
Good luck with the resto ahead.
Don't forget to update us on the progress.
:yesnod:
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Alaskan_TA

That broadcast sheet is one of two possible from the back seat.

If you have not looked inside the bucket seat backs & under the bucket bottoms, you may find one or two more.....  :scratchchin:

Possibly under the carpet too.

70 sublime

Just make sure the numbers match your vin
I found a sheet in my seats and it was for the car before me with the same colour paint and seats
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

doctor4766

Quote from: TPR on June 13, 2022, 05:04:54 AM
I saw the fb post for the sale of an orange '69 w/ black stripe in WA and I wondered if it was yours.
Now I see why you have to let it go. The '70 will be beautiful when completed.
I would have loved to make you an offer for the '69, but I just can't reach it at the moment.
Good luck with the resto ahead.
Don't forget to update us on the progress.
:yesnod:
TPR

Cheers
Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 13, 2022, 08:47:23 AM
That broadcast sheet is one of two possible from the back seat.

If you have not looked inside the bucket seat backs & under the bucket bottoms, you may find one or two more.....  :scratchchin:

Possibly under the carpet too.
The front seats have new upholstery and I checked the rear so far, but no extras as yet.

Quote from: 70 sublime on June 13, 2022, 12:34:40 PM
Just make sure the numbers match your vin
I found a sheet in my seats and it was for the car before me with the same colour paint and seats
They do indeed
Gotta love a '69

hemi-hampton

Since you said it was Undercoated I wanted to see if the Broadcast Sheet had the J55 Option. Which it appears it does. Designating the Undercoat option. Which also includes underhood pad. If you do Restore to Original make sure you add the underhood pad for correctness. I noticed alot of people like to add these underhood pads if correct or not. either they don't know & assume all cars must of come with the pad or don't care & think it looks better that way? LEON.

doctor4766

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 13, 2022, 06:53:54 PM
Since you said it was Undercoated I wanted to see if the Broadcast Sheet had the J55 Option. Which it appears it does. Designating the Undercoat option. Which also includes underhood pad. If you do Restore to Original make sure you add the underhood pad for correctness. I noticed alot of people like to add these underhood pads if correct or not. either they don't know & assume all cars must of come with the pad or don't care & think it looks better that way? LEON.
Yes the clips are still there and the previous owner mentioned that it had fallen to pieces over the years.
I do have a spare used one that I'll use for now if it fits as it was on the '69 once upon a time.
Gotta love a '69

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: doctor4766 on June 07, 2022, 09:32:57 PMWas Canada considered as an export market? Reason I ask is that that section of the build sheet refers to X Export Canada X

Looping back to that part, all 1970 series broadcast sheets have that.

The X codes were predominately used for Canadian provinces and / or other countries that required equipment not normally used inside the USA.

doctor4766

The X25 option is an interesting one. (There's a 5 in the option box on this car as shown on the build sheet)

This from the 1970 Dodge Charger Registry

Lt. Beam Shift  25: This box identifies a unique export headlight high beam / low beam shift process (option code X25). That being, how the lights shift from low beam to high beam. What this means or how it works is unknown (if you know please tell us). The option X25 is noted as Left Way Beam Shift Headlamps. Perhaps export cars have a unique headlamp system that when the lights are switched from low beam to high beam the lights momentarily aim left...since many export countries drive on the left hand side with opposing traffic on the right side this may have been a process to avoid blinding oncoming traffic when high beams were selected...like I said, it's a guess. No 1970 Charger R/Ts have been found with this option code selected. Except this one?

I have noticed that all 4 headlights light up on both high and low beam, whereas on my '69 only one pair are lit on low beam.
And I see no evidence of the lights momentarily aiming left as speculated in the above quote

Gotta love a '69

6bblgt

X25 could be as simple as the factory headlight aim set-up slight SHIFT to the left for an original destination to a LH drive country
what's the earliest known country & during what year?

is the high-beam indicator on the dash always on?  the all 4 lights on sounds like a switch or wiring problem

6bblgt

interestingly 1970 EXPORT order E91103 is a base /6 Charger XH29C0G115215 "scheduled" B06 - it is or was in Peru at one point

6bblgt

1970 EXPORT order E91160 is/was in Argentina

both Peru & Argentina drive on the RIGHT  :scratchchin:

426HemiChick

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 14, 2022, 03:45:35 AM
1970 EXPORT order E91160 is/was in Argentina

both Peru & Argentina drive on the RIGHT  :scratchchin:

Hi Doctor4766,             14 June 2022

That's a fine looking 70 Charger. Based on the underside, the car appears to have lived its life in a very dry climate. Good luck with the restoration.

Having lived in and driven in countries that drive on the left and right, still to this day there are times when I turn a corner, with no cars in sight, I'll sometimes find myself driving on the left. It doesn't occur as often as it did when fresh back from a left drive country. Both seem normal to me. My last was Singapore and Kuala Lumpur 1997.

I have enjoyed all the places I have lived and worked. Never made it to Australia or New Zealand. Came close a couple times. Came close to emigrating to Australia in 1968; a 68 Hemi Road Runner interfered.

The rest is history. Happy to finally be home with Dena here in Phoenix. It's been a long road.

Best Always

Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court