News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering pump brackets & mounting.

Started by JAM72, June 03, 2022, 01:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAM72

I have a 72 SE original 440 replaced with a HP 440 from a 70. I am having trouble mounting the 72 pump and brackets to the 440.
My understanding the water pump should be the same for both so don't know what the problem is. Perhaps I just am not seeing how it should attach. Does anyone have a photo of such mounting on a 440? Also a photo of it on a 400 would help.    I believe it is a Saginaw pump - there is no AC.

70 sublime

Are you sure the water pump housing is the same on both of your engines ?
Is the lower water outlet that goes to the rad on the same side ? 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

JAM72

I think I have it figured out. The water inlet is opposite to that of the rad of the 400. Also the harmonic balancer on the HP 440 does not stick out as far as the 400.  I need to add a bushing under the top bolt and straighten the finger and back bracket so pulleys line up. I tried to post pictures but it didn't work.

JAM72

Quote from: JAM72 on June 03, 2022, 10:45:19 PM
I think I have it figured out. The water inlet is opposite to that of the rad of the 400. Also the harmonic balancer on the HP 440 does not stick out as far as the 400.  I need to add a bushing under the top bolt and straighten the finger and back bracket so pulleys line up. I tried to post pictures but it didn't work.
No that did not work - mount is too low and conflicts with water hose and the oil filter.

Since  I have received a photo (attached) of the correct one that will work on my 72 car with 70 440 substituted for original 400.
Now I need to find a set of these bracketrs.

GreenMachine

https://store.440source.com/Power-Steering-Pump-Brackets-Saginaw-Style/productinfo/127-1006/

440Source is one of many vendors that sell them.

To post a picture it has to be 400kb or less. Also the file can't be named the same as another pic on this site. I just rename my pics by mashing my palm on the keyboard.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

70 sublime

I also bought a full set of brackets for my 440 from 440 source company

There are so many differnt configurations out there you almost need the right one in your hand to compare to any used one you might buy just to be sure it is the right one
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

JAM72

Quote from: JAM72 on June 07, 2022, 11:58:19 PM
Quote from: JAM72 on June 03, 2022, 10:45:19 PM
No that did not work - mount is too low and conflicts with water hose and the oil filter.

Since  I have received a photo (attached) of the correct one that will work on my 72 car with 70 440 substituted for original 400.
Now I need to find a set of these bracketrs.

I received the correct bracket from Classic Industries  and it fits fine.