News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona back window

Started by Stevearino, June 18, 2022, 07:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

I may be starting another Daytona clone at the beginning of next year and I wanted to get a head start on one of the more difficult pieces to find. Does anyone know of any reproduction Daytona back glass that might be for sale out there. Thanks in advance

cdr

Quote from: Stevearino on June 18, 2022, 07:33:49 PM
I may be starting another Daytona clone at the beginning of next year and I wanted to get a head start on one of the more difficult pieces to find. Does anyone know of any reproduction Daytona back glass that might be for sale out there. Thanks in advance

If & when I do my rear window I will use a lexan one that Janak makes, but my junk isn't as nicely done as your builds
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

dreamcatcher

Janak stuff is pretty good quality. Some of it needed a bit of modification. But over all is was good. I used most of his kit on my Superbird. And the Lexan glass has been my car for about 13 years and is still very clear.
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

Stevearino

Quote from: cdr on June 19, 2022, 08:34:20 AM
Quote from: Stevearino on June 18, 2022, 07:33:49 PM

If & when I do my rear window I will use a lexan one that Janak makes, but my junk isn't as nicely done as your builds

Your stuff is plenty sporty Charlie. :cheers

:
Quote from: dreamcatcher on June 19, 2022, 01:49:39 PM
Janak stuff is pretty good quality. Some of it needed a bit of modification. But over all is was good. I used most of his kit on my Superbird. And the Lexan glass has been my car for about 13 years and is still very clear.

Good to  know. We will see where I end up when it is time to start.

moparstuart

Sue posted in the latest Winged Warriors News Letter that AMD was making another limited run of back glass and to get your order in quick to get one 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: moparstuart on June 23, 2022, 11:00:39 AM
Sue posted in the latest Winged Warriors News Letter that AMD was making another limited run of back glass and to get your order in quick to get one  

:2thumbs: I guess maybe I should actually read the news letters, huh?  :scratchchin:  :P :shruggy: :eek2:

Stevearino

Thanks Stu.

426HemiChick

Hi Stuart,          25 June 2022

Since we don't get the "Winged Warriors News Letter" could you please provide the contact info for AMD and the Winged Warriors News Letter. Would be much appreciated.

Thank You in advance

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

426HemiChick

Hi Stuart,             27 June 2022

If the AMD you mentioned is Auto Metal Direct. I just got off the phone with their buyer. He said they had no current plans to produce (they buy them) Daytona Rear Backlights.

Here's the link to the AMD I talked to:

http://www.autometaldirect.com/index.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3ISCl4nO-AIVmwytBh3SBg3REAAYASAAEgJVTPD_BwE

Phone: 833-404-4777

If this is not the AMD referenced in your post, please post a correction to this post.

Thanks in advance.

Best Always

Christine
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Mopar Nut

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 27, 2022, 12:01:44 PM

Hi Stuart,             27 June 2022

If the AMD you mentioned is Auto Metal Direct. I just got off the phone with their buyer. He said they had no current plans to produce (they buy them) Daytona Rear Backlights.

Here's the link to the AMD I talked to:

http://www.autometaldirect.com/index.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3ISCl4nO-AIVmwytBh3SBg3REAAYASAAEgJVTPD_BwE

Phone: 833-404-4777

If this is not the AMD referenced in your post, please post a correction to this post.

Thanks in advance.

Best Always

Christine
I called All Metal Direct too, and they told me the same thing.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Stevearino

Well I emailed AMD so that is probably the reason I have not gotten a reply.  Just a rumor. Oh well it was worth a try.

426HemiChick

Quote from: Mopar Nut on June 27, 2022, 06:55:30 PM

Hi Mopar Nut,              27 June 2022

Thanks for verifying what we found. Wish they were going to produce/sell them. Maybe a few inquires will give them the motivation to order a run. We'd buy a couple just in case we decide to buy another Daytona down the road.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Quote from: Stevearino on June 27, 2022, 08:15:52 PM
Well I emailed AMD so that is probably the reason I have not gotten a reply.  Just a rumor. Oh well it was worth a try.

Hi Stevearino,             27 June 2022

We're believers in asking questions. If you don't ask, the answer is NO. If you do ask, there's a 50/50 chance you'll get a Yes.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Mopar Nut

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 27, 2022, 08:19:44 PM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on June 27, 2022, 06:55:30 PM

Hi Mopar Nut,              27 June 2022

Thanks for verifying what we found. Wish they were going to produce/sell them. Maybe a few inquires will give them the motivation to order a run. We'd buy a couple just in case we decide to buy another Daytona down the road.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
My thoughts exactly, if a lot of people show the demand for the Daytona back glass, AMD might reproduce it again.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

aerolith

Nice words Mopar NUT!

I have a thin body and nothing in the bank lol.

My Charger 500 back-glass got broken back in the mists of time.
I'm hoping some will be made again and I have the funds to purchase one?

My worry is folks will buy them for future projects and the prices will soar?

Lets hope whoever makes them, will make a 'big run' for ''this could be the last time, I don't know''? :shruggy:

Thanks Mick, can't get that outta my head now, doh... :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

KurtfromLaQuinta

I to was searching for the back glass. I found the place where they used to make them for AMD. Seems the old guy who was a wizard with auto glass made them on the side of the business he ran someplace in Los Angeles area. He passed away a couple of years ago and the side project stopped. No more back glass. AMD sold out what they had. That's it.     
Someone around here kinda sent me a lead on a place in the Los Angeles area that might have the mold for them. i called them up and talked with some guy who said "I think we did get a mold from some older gent who recently died from so and so place.  :shruggy: I got a call a few days later telling me "NOPE". Not around here.
I also investigated using a '67 Shovette Impala rear window. Those things are huge and available in a few different shades of tint. BUT... they're tempered glass. So cutting them to fit is a risky procedure. Unless somebody knows someone who has the skills to cut those down?
I tried.
With my project... http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,139275.0.html
I'm going with Janik because I need to drill that rear window for braces anyway. Not a easy deal with real glass. So I'll deal with the composite unit.

doctor4766

Quote from: KurtfromLaQuinta on August 13, 2022, 06:04:12 PM
I to was searching for the back glass. I found the place where they used to make them for AMD. Seems the old guy who was a wizard with auto glass made them on the side of the business he ran someplace in Los Angeles area. He passed away a couple of years ago and the side project stopped. No more back glass. AMD sold out what they had. That's it.     
Someone around here kinda sent me a lead on a place in the Los Angeles area that might have the mold for them. i called them up and talked with some guy who said "I think we did get a mold from some older gent who recently died from so and so place.  :shruggy: I got a call a few days later telling me "NOPE". Not around here.
I also investigated using a '67 Shovette Impala rear window. Those things are huge and available in a few different shades of tint. BUT... they're tempered glass. So cutting them to fit is a risky procedure. Unless somebody knows someone who has the skills to cut those down?
I tried.
With my project... http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,139275.0.html
I'm going with Janik because I need to drill that rear window for braces anyway. Not a easy deal with real glass. So I'll deal with the composite unit.

You can't cut tempered glass down. It WILL shatter if you try
Gotta love a '69

Mopar Nut

Here's a good read, if you wanted to make a Daytona clone using a Vega hatchback.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8271.0.html

wyliemn71

I have a spare and will sell for the right amount of dough

Stevearino

Quote from: wyliemn71 on August 15, 2022, 10:31:22 AM

PM sent.

sandwichrob2112

Hi Everyone,

I am new but have been following closely learning and preparing to build a replica Daytona with the help of many.

I sent a message to ECS automotive concepts for a Daytona rear window and this was their response:

Hello Rob,
I can give you the Labor day sale price on the glass.  You will save 15%.  The glass would be $467.50 + Shipping.  It will take around 6 weeks for delivery.  Do you know the date code you want?
Thanks
ECS Automotive Concepts
753 Goddard Ave.
Chesterfield, MO 63005
1-855-532-7846
(636)536-2221
www.ecsautomotive.com

I emailed them back to confirm again that it is for a 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona and waiting to hear back but I thought it was worth sharing.

Rob

Stevearino

Quote from: sandwichrob2112 on September 01, 2022, 12:00:23 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am new but have been following closely learning and preparing to build a replica Daytona with the help of many.

I sent a message to ECS automotive concepts for a Daytona rear window and this was their response:

Hello Rob,
I can give you the Labor day sale price on the glass.  You will save 15%.  The glass would be $467.50 + Shipping.  It will take around 6 weeks for delivery.  Do you know the date code you want?
Thanks
ECS Automotive Concepts
753 Goddard Ave.
Chesterfield, MO 63005
1-855-532-7846
(636)536-2221
www.ecsautomotive.com

I emailed them back to confirm again that it is for a 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona and waiting to hear back but I thought it was worth sharing.

Rob

Great news if it is true.

Stevearino

It turns out it was a misunderstanding and no Daytona rear glass is available from ECS.

426HemiChick

Quote from: doctor4766 on August 14, 2022, 08:15:53 PM
You can't cut tempered glass down. It WILL shatter if you try

Hi Doc, Folks,                01 September 2022

It seems to us, that a mold possibly exists for the Daytona rear backlight. Several had to have existed at one time in order for the backlights to have been made in the first place. The gentleman that died that was making the replacement backlights also had to have had one for him to make them.

Unless every mold that ever existed for the Daytona rear windows has been destroyed or scrapped, there may be one or two just squirreled-away, possibly by someone not knowing exactly what they have.

Secondly, if the original specs for the necessary mold exist, maybe someone could have a new mold made (at what cost, who knows) so a glass company could make new Daytona Backlights.

We "thinks," maybe AMD may have the mold from the gentleman they got the glass from and may not know it. It could be lurking in their warehouse just waiting to be discovered.

To discover it, one would have to know exactly what to look for. We have no idea what it would look like so we wouldn't know what to look for if it was staring us in the face.

The gentleman that died that was making the Daytona replacement rear windows had a mold. Maybe it still exists and his heirs don't know what they have.

Last but not least: How much of market would there be for that particular window? We don't have an accurate enough idea to make a reasonable guess.

If we knew someone was going to make the windows, we'd be willing to order several. If enough folks in the community were willing to also do so, then a market would exist. albeit, for a short period, with enough windows dispersed throughout the original Daytona and clone community to make it feasible to reproduce them.

It would be a real gamble since there were only 503(?) Daytona's made and a number of which no longer exist due to accidents, theft, and rust-away.

Food for thought.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

PS: Added same day shortly after original post.

To cut tempered glass the temper would have to be "removed" first, then make your mods and then place back in an appropriate mold and reheat. This would be more trouble than it would be worth and the end result would be "iffy."

Currently, we think the best bet is to buy the Lexan window made by Janak. If we are correct, his Lexan window fits the Daytona opening, so if a glass replacement becomes available, buy it, remove the Janak and install the glass.

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,               02 September 2022

About 25 - 30 years ago, an ad appeared in the DSAC newsletter that someone planned to make 200 - 250 Daytona backlights if they could get firm orders for 200 of them. It required that they be prepaid at about $250.00 each, so we ordered one.

These were not exact as they were laminated rather than tempered and they didn't have the logos and other etchings found on exact copies. This was not divulged in the ad nor was it ever discussed during the ordering process.

One day while working (I used to do that you know) at my desk I heard the doorbell ring. I looked out the window and saw a female UPS driver hightailing it across my front lawn hell bent for leather. Went outside to see what that was all about. There was a large box sitting in the middle of the lawn. It was obvious it was something made of glass.

The box had two holes punched through the middle of it . . . . with shards of glass dangling out of the holes. The holes looked to have been made by a fork lift. The UPS driver was in her truck heading towards the main highway. Yes, it was the window we had ordered.

Called UPS and pitched a bitch about them delivering a package that was so obviously destroyed that the contents were also destroyed. They said it was their policy to deliver the package as is. They said they would order a replacement and eventually pick up the box of broken glass.

I also called the company that made the backlight and they said they would call UPS and take care of it. It was insured.

The net result: We ended up with two backlights. Took them into the garage where the cars were and placed them on the trunk of the Road Runner where they sat until sometime in mid 2020. Took them into the house and put them with all the other car parts we have.

They were sold in 2020. The point of this post is there has to be some of those backlights still out there. We don't think 200+ backlights needed to be replaced nor were there 200+ clones made that needed them.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Stevearino

Quote from: 426HemiChick on September 02, 2022, 11:12:03 AM

About 25 - 30 years ago, an ad appeared in the DSAC newsletter that someone planned to make 200 - 250 Daytona backlights if they could get firm orders for 200 of them. It required that they be prepaid at about $250.00 each, so we ordered one.

These were not exact as they were laminated rather than tempered and they didn't have the logos and other etchings found on exact copies. This was not divulged in the ad nor was it ever discussed during the ordering process.

One day while working (I used to do that you know) at my desk I heard the doorbell ring. I looked out the window and saw a female UPS driver hightailing it across my front lawn hell bent for leather. Went outside to see what that was all about. There was a large box sitting in the middle of the lawn. It was obvious it was something made of glass.

The box had two holes punched through the middle of it . . . . with shards of glass dangling out of the holes. The holes looked to have been made by a fork lift. The UPS driver was in her truck heading towards the main highway. Yes, it was the window we had ordered.

Called UPS and pitched a bitch about them delivering a package that was so obviously destroyed that the contents were also destroyed. They said it was their policy to deliver the package as is. They said they would order a replacement and eventually pick up the box of broken glass.

I also called the company that made the backlight and they said they would call UPS and take care of it. It was insured.

The net result: We ended up with two backlights. Took them into the garage where the cars were and placed them on the trunk of the Road Runner where they sat until sometime in mid 2020. Took them into the house and put them with all the other car parts we have.

They were sold in 2020. The point of this post is there has to be some of those backlights still out there. We don't think 200+ backlights needed to be replaced nor were there 200+ clones made that needed them.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Well I just need one but I am having no luck at all.  I even contacted an outfit in California that supplies cars for movies. I had gotten glass from them before when a piece of custom side glass in my car cracked. The original had been bought from the overage made for the Fast and Furious Daytonas. The guy I bought the glass from originally had sold his business and all of his molds to this other outfit. They found the mold and made me a replacement. Recently I contacted them to see if they had the mold for the rear glass as the guy who sold his business had made custom glass all the way around for 10 movie Daytonas.  They told me they no longer deal with the general public but they would consider my request if I just e mailed them the details. I did that and never got any reply.  The shame is I know they have a mold for that back glass. It is also Laminated glass as making tempered glass is way too pricey for movie cars but I did not care. Oh well.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Stevearino on September 02, 2022, 03:47:45 PM

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Well I just need one but I am having no luck at all.  I even contacted an outfit in California that supplies cars for movies. I had gotten glass from them before when a piece of custom side glass in my car cracked. The original had been bought from the overage made for the Fast and Furious Daytonas. The guy I bought the glass from originally had sold his business and all of his molds to this other outfit. They found the mold and made me a replacement. Recently I contacted them to see if they had the mold for the rear glass as the guy who sold his business had made custom glass all the way around for 10 movie Daytonas.  They told me they no longer deal with the general public but they would consider my request if I just e mailed them the details. I did that and never got any reply.  The shame is I know they have a mold for that back glass. It is also Laminated glass as making tempered glass is way too pricey for movie cars but I did not care. Oh well.

Steve have you tried/contacted Coastal Glass in BC/Canada 604-457-4477 they do one off custom/curved auto glass (laminated).....

MikeG

Stevearino

Quote from: DAY CLONA on September 02, 2022, 04:50:08 PM
Quote from: Stevearino on September 02, 2022, 03:47:45 PM

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Steve have you tried/contacted Coastal Glass in BC/Canada 604-457-4477 they do one off custom/curved auto glass (laminated).....

MikeG

No sir I have not. I was just hoping to find someone with a spare from any of these other sources first before I went that route. Also if they don't already have a mold I am at a loss to provide them with anything to work with in the way of a master so I am back at square one. Thanks for the contact though. If I need to pursue that route it gives me an option I did not have yesterday Mike.

426HemiChick

Quote from: Stevearino on August 31, 2022, 08:46:29 PM

PM sent.

Hi Stevearino,                  03 September 2022

What was the result of your PM?

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Stevearino

Quote from: 426HemiChick on September 03, 2022, 12:17:54 PM
Quote from: Stevearino on August 31, 2022, 08:46:29 PM

PM sent.

Hi Stevearino,                  03 September 2022

What was the result of your PM?

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

I did not get a response to that private message. He did indicate he was new to the forum so possibly he hasn't checked back in yet.

Stevearino

By the way the story on the vendor that KurtfromLaQuinta  was referring to is called Cinema Vehicles Allen Auto Glass when he retired. Allen had provided the custom glass for the cars in Drive Angry and Fast and Furious 7 as far as Chargers go. I bought the side glass for my Daytona Clone from him while he was still in business. They were leftovers from those two productions They built 2 cars for Drive Angry and 10 Daytonas for F&F 7. He had 2 pieces of one piece side glass left and I managed to get them. Fast forward 2 years when I was finishing up my car and I broke the drivers side while installing it for the last time. When I went back to ask if he could make me another I got forwarded to Cinema Vehicles. They had acquired all of his molds.  The not only found the mold but found a flaw in the mold which curved the glass front to back slightly. That is why it broke when I installed it. Anyway they make me a new mold and provided me with the replacement. I was eager to see if they had the back glass mold and contacted them about 2 weeks ago. At first I was told they don't deal with the general public any more. (small potatoes for the hassle). I explained my history with them and was told to describe what i needed and to E-mail them.......................Crickets. :shruggy: It was Allen Auto Glass that was making the back windows that were laminated glass is what I understand.

426HemiChick

Hi Steve,              03 September 2022

Wyliemn71 was last active on the site 30 Aug 22. Your PM was sent 19 days ago. He may have lost or misplaced it.

Maybe we should go together and sue Chrysler for not making enough spare Daytona Backlights, Nose Cones, wings, etc.

We might as well, people sue for "Stupider" things and get nice cash settlements.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Stevearino on September 03, 2022, 11:20:29 AM

MikeG

No sir I have not. I was just hoping to find someone with a spare from any of these other sources first before I went that route. Also if they don't already have a mold I am at a loss to provide them with anything to work with in the way of a master so I am back at square one. Thanks for the contact though. If I need to pursue that route it gives me an option I did not have yesterday Mike.

Steve,

I contacted Coastal about a run on Daytona back glass (laminated) I supplied them the specs required regarding glass dimensions,  A frame/jig required to form the glass is a one time fee $750 USD, to make ONE rear window finished is $2200 USD (total $2950 USD), a price discounted limited run is 10 units....$20K plus....so who's up for a prepaid group buy?.....

MikeG

sandwichrob2112

AMD has replied to my messages on facebook. He said he is following up with the owner of AMD to get more details. I told him there are many people looking and that even prepaid preorders would of interest tome and others. Just the fact that they replied felt positive. If more people sent messages, that would show strong interest.

Stevearino

Quote from: DAY CLONA on September 07, 2022, 11:12:11 PM
Quote from: Stevearino on September 03, 2022, 11:20:29 AM

MikeG

Steve,

I contacted Coastal about a run on Daytona back glass (laminated) I supplied them the specs required regarding glass dimensions,  A frame/jig required to form the glass is a one time fee $750 USD, to make ONE rear window finished is $2200 USD (total $2950 USD), a price discounted limited run is 10 units....$20K plus....so who's up for a prepaid group buy?.....

MikeG

I would have to clear that with my customer but tentatively i would be up for it. Now you need 9 more takers.

Quote from: sandwichrob2112 on September 08, 2022, 08:44:48 AM
AMD has replied to my messages on facebook. He said he is following up with the owner of AMD to get more details. I told him there are many people looking and that even prepaid preorders would of interest tome and others. Just the fact that they replied felt positive. If more people sent messages, that would show strong interest.

I had sent AMD an Email and got no reply so  :shruggy:

sandwichrob2112

I'm guessing they get a ton of emails every day. Maybe facebook messenger gets a better response? Speculation of course lol

Kowal

Quote Dayclona

Steve,

I contacted Coastal about a run on Daytona back glass (laminated) I supplied them the specs required regarding glass dimensions,  A frame/jig required to form the glass is a one time fee $750 USD, to make ONE rear window finished is $2200 USD (total $2950 USD), a price discounted limited run is 10 units....$20K plus....so who's up for a prepaid group buy?.....

MikeG
[/quote]

If a group buy was being arranged, I would be interested.   This is really the one irreplaceable part on my C500!
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."