News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone ever had a hood Fly open while driving ?

Started by ACUDANUT, June 27, 2022, 01:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Scary shit. I had 73 Monte Carlo do this. Damn near killed me.

John_Kunkel

Yep. 1961 Interstate 80 between Vacaville and Dixon, Ca. about 60 mph, hood popped open on my '51 Olds 88 and bent itself over the roof but miraculously didn't damage the windshield. Pulled off at the first available turnoff (The Milk Farm), removed the hood and tossed it underneath a huge eucalyptus tree. Beyond repair, I never went back to retrieve it. (running without a hood was in vogue back then)

Fast forward to 1976, I'm passing by in my '71 Challenger, see the tree and wonder if the hood is still there. Pulled off the freeway and checked...it's still there severely rusted with only a hint of green paint remaining. Might still be there.  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

HANDM

No, I generally make sure my hood is closed all the way after I've opened it.

That being said the last time that I took my wife's '18 Challenger to the dealer for some warrantee work and an oil change the damn idiots didn't latch the hood and I didn't notice till I was home. Good thing it has hood pins.

dreamcatcher

79 ford 250 pickup. Hood wasn't latched and some how popped up past the safety latch. Was only doing 30 mph but still did damage. I am very careful to double check my hoods after them being opened. Yes very scary indeed. :eek2: I do love hoods with the hood pins!
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

6bblgt

426HemiChick

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 27, 2022, 10:39:31 PM
:brickwall:  does a '68 HEMI Dart count?   :icon_smile_blackeye:

Hi 6bblgt,            28 June 2022

Sure, it's a MOPAR !!!

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

RiverRaider

In 1983 in a 74 Javelin.  Hood pins were pulled and I didn't notice because of the heavy rain when I got in.  Hood flipped open at about 40 mph.   I could see good enough thru the gap between the hood and cowl to drive into a gas station with a canopy.   It folded the corners of the hood and put a dent in the roof just above the windshield.  Corners bent back easily and hood worked fine.  Been checking hood pins every time since then. 
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

b5blue

Nissan has a recall going right now for this. I installed hood locks 27 years ago on my car.

ACUDANUT

b5blue

ACUDANUT

I never have never owned any Jap or Asian owned vehicles. They don't buy ours. :Twocents:

John_Kunkel

You might be surprised at the popularity of American classic cars in Japan.The cost of operation there prevents more importing.

As far as new cars go, you can thank the Japs for the quality of modern American cars, the Japs shamed us into improving. American cars of the eighties were, plain and simple, JUNK.

Kern Dog

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 02, 2022, 07:00:40 PM
I never have never owned any Jap or Asian owned vehicles. They don't buy ours. :Twocents:

If you mean NEW, you might have a point. Some of them do like the classics. There is a racing series consisting entirely of Dodge vans!

b5blue

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 02, 2022, 07:00:40 PM
Did you know many Japan based company's products are made in the USA since the late 70's. (Not just assembled, manufactured.) Meanwhile my 79 Mercury had a wire harness from Taiwan. But I get your sentiment anyway. Fact is their government blocks sales.   

GMP440

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 27, 2022, 01:23:06 PM
Yep. 1961 Interstate 80 between Vacaville and Dixon, Ca. about 60 mph, hood popped open on my '51 Olds 88 and bent itself over the roof but miraculously didn't damage the windshield. Pulled off at the first available turnoff (The Milk Farm), removed the hood and tossed it underneath a huge eucalyptus tree. Beyond repair, I never went back to retrieve it. (running without a hood was in vogue back then)

Fast forward to 1976, I'm passing by in my '71 Challenger, see the tree and wonder if the hood is still there. Pulled off the freeway and checked...it's still there severely rusted with only a hint of green paint remaining. Might still be there.  :shruggy:

We should go see if the hood is still there.

John_Kunkel

The whole area has been "redeveloped" so I doubt if it's still there.

twenty mike mike

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 27, 2022, 01:23:06 PM

Is this it?  ;)