News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

will a body (duster) Dana 60 fit okay for b-body

Started by ACUDANUT, July 11, 2022, 02:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

will a body (duster) Dana 60 fit okay for b-body ?

472 R/T SE

Where the wheel wells cut on the a body and meats sticking out?

Need a drum to drum measurement.

RallyeMike

Sure. With a big hammer, cutting torch, welder, and a six pack..... anything will fit anything.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Kern Dog

Where will you find this  A body Dana axle?
They only came in A body cars in 1968....the Hemi Dart and Barracuda models and ONLY in the 4 speed cars.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Kern Dog on July 11, 2022, 11:19:08 PM
Where will you find this  A body Dana axle?
They only came in A body cars in 1968....the Hemi Dart and Barracuda models and ONLY in the 4 speed cars.

perhaps it' a shorten DANA to fit an A body...has been known to happen :scratchchin: :icon_smile_big:

As to the OP, I'd measure the track width, perches can be moved, the current track of the "A" body Dana needs to be verified....

Kern Dog

Quote from: DAY CLONA on July 12, 2022, 11:16:53 AM
Quote from: Kern Dog on July 11, 2022, 11:19:08 PM
Where will you find this  A body Dana axle?

perhaps it' a shorten DANA to fit an A body...has been known to happen

I get that but when one writes "An A body Dana, it infers that it is an original.....which is a very rare piece indeed.

RiverRaider

You did not mention what year B-Body that will make a difference in possibilities.  Your spring perches will need to be moved.  With A-Body Dana's so rare the first thing is to measure the housing to make sure you have an A-Body width DANA.  I have seen a 67 Dana in a later A-Body with positive offset wheels.  Depending on the width of the Dana, and which year B- Body the use of negative offset wheels may be possible. 
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

ACUDANUT

The A body is a former drag car.  Not sure about the year...Yet.

Kern Dog

If I had an original 1968 A body Dana, I'd sell it for big bucks to someone restoring one of those cars rather than using it in mine. Any truck Dana 60 can be bought and built for a fraction of the value of an original axle like this. How many were built? I heard they built 118 of the Hemi A body cars and maybe half were 4 speed/Dana equipped.

John_Kunkel

The 4-speed '68 Hemi Super Stock A-bodies came from the factory with a stock-width B-body Dana 60 rear end. Some say '66-'67 others say '68.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Kern Dog on July 14, 2022, 09:12:56 PM
If I had an original 1968 A body Dana, I'd sell it for big bucks to someone restoring one of those cars rather than using it in mine. Any truck Dana 60 can be bought and built for a fraction of the value of an original axle like this. How many were built? I heard they built 118 of the Hemi A body cars and maybe half were 4 speed/Dana equipped.

So Kern, can you you make me a truck Dana 60 to fit a B-body for a fraction of the price...What is the Price ? :shruggy: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 15, 2022, 02:17:50 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on July 14, 2022, 09:12:56 PM

So Kern, can you you make me a truck Dana 60 to fit a B-body for a fraction of the price...What is the Price ? :shruggy: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

You lose the option of a pinion snubber with a truck Dana if that matters?

Kern Dog

I can only guess what a high dollar dude would pay for an original axle from a 68 Hemi Dart or Barracuda. $5000? $ 7500?

You can have a Strange S60 built for under $3000.
You can crawl junkyards and pull a Dana from a Dodge truck for $300, take it to your trusted axle and gear guy and have the ends replaced, new axles and spring pads and a center section for another $2000 or less.
Maybe I am spoiled over here. We have 10 or more self serve wrecking yards within an hour.

472 R/T SE

Larry Mathews offered me one of his truck Danas done with correct axles for $1500.  The money he spent...back around '07.