News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stalling on left turns

Started by santacruzcharger, July 20, 2022, 08:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

santacruzcharger

I recently had my engine rebuilt, and I've starting noticing that the engine tends to sputter and almost stall on tighter left turns.  Has anyone experienced this or have any input on what might be causing this?  My engine is the original 1970 383 four-barrel.  Thanks in advance for any help.

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

XH29N0G

I do not have anything specific, but maybe some things to consider. 

First, Is there anything that is different with the left turn than right turn that you might not be considering (like you wait longer at idle before turning? Or have a slightly different way of applying the accelerator or brake?)  Is there anything different with the car on left vs right hand turns that might affect vacuum (I do not have power brakes, but I wonder if that could make a difference, I wonder about the steering, which I assume is power.)

If the left turn is the only way this happens and if it reflects something like one of the above, it might be that the engine idle, carb, or ignition is operating at the edge of stalling and this tips it over.  If that is the case, I would go through all of those to see if I could figure it out.  A test might be to increase the idle or richen the idle by 1/8 to 1/4 turn and see if it makes a difference, but this might just mask another symptom. 

Do you have more information about the rebuilt engine?  Is the ignition electronic or still points?   If points style (maybe if not) I would start there and work to other parts, like carburetor.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

John_Kunkel

I would look at the carb floats, one might have a leak and is heavy with fuel allowing the fuel level to be too high and sloshing out on tight turns (g-force).
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

green69rt

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 21, 2022, 01:55:25 PM
I would look at the carb floats, one might have a leak and is heavy with fuel allowing the fuel level to be too high and sloshing out on tight turns (g-force).

I vote with John, Carb float problem.  Happened on an old van I had.  Mine was different though.  Float had sunk reducing gas level in float bowl.   And on turns the level must have sloshed away from jets and caused a bog.  Carb rebuild with new float fixed it.

472 R/T SE

I always have a couple "driver" carbs laying around.  Id start there.  Simple enough.

Also, sorry.  Its the smart ass me in me coming out, but 3 right turns make a left, lol.

375instroke

I'm thinking floats, too, and specifically float drop.

mopar346

Does it do it only when moving or will it stall if you just crank the steering all the way left while sitting? When power braking turning left?

472 R/T SE

What a bunch of caca, lol.  My car wanted to die turning left the other day!
First thing I thought of was this thread!!! lol.

Quick bump to Neutral kept it from dying.  I'm sure its the elevation change.  I lived @ sea level for 29 years, so nice.