News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

That big black plastic cover over the tail light housings inside the trunk...

Started by Daytona R/T SE, July 26, 2022, 10:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

That big black plastic cover over the tail light housings inside the trunk of a '69 Charger... :scratchchin:

I don't know what it's actually called. :shruggy:

They were being reproduced several years ago.

Are they still being made ?

Where to get them ?

tan top

have a read here http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=4m5v39tb97bt5jg73tthc2ac77&topic=14608.25

FWIW
my original had one crack/ split  & was mis shapped ,  it kept re cracking  right by the trunk lock  each time when removing it , also  the  bottom edges  would curl up  & go out of shame no matter how many times i would , warm it up & clamp it back in to shape, few weeks later would be curled up again at bottom edge.
kept looking at this & seriously thought about making  a mould &  make a replacment one out of fiberglass , seemed it would be  a pretty straight forward shape  to make &  could easily improve the shape / fit at the same time  while still making it look an OEM type to the un trained eye.....finished putting the charger back together &  thought no more about it  :P
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: tan top on July 27, 2022, 08:44:43 AM
  have a read here http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=4m5v39tb97bt5jg73tthc2ac77&topic=14608.25

FWIW
my original had one crack/ split  & was mis shapped ,  it kept re cracking  right by the trunk lock  each time when removing it , also  the  bottom edges  would curl up  & go out of shame no matter how many times i would , warm it up & clamp it back in to shape, few weeks later would be curled up again at bottom edge.
kept looking at this & seriously thought about making  a mould &  make a replacment one out of fiberglass , seemed it would be  a pretty straight forward shape  to make &  could easily improve the shape / fit at the same time  while still making it look an OEM type to the un trained eye.....finished putting the charger back together &  thought no more about it  :P

Thanks,

I sent an email to the address in that thread.

It bounced back to me as undeliverable.

I guess they are no longer available.

:brickwall:

Wingnut426

Little know fact, there is two different ones. Some have little tabs that screw to the trunk floor. May be a 69 versus 70 thing? WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

b5blue

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Wingnut426 on July 27, 2022, 11:00:25 AM
Little know fact, there is two different ones. Some have little tabs that screw to the trunk floor. May be a 69 versus 70 thing? WINGNUT

Yes, I think it has to do with the fact that the little "hoods" over the light sockets came in two different versions-long and short.

I'm not sure which tail light housing style came first, or if it was just two different vendors?

I would think That Daytonas and '69 Charger 500s would benefit from the shorter version due to the smaller trunk opening.

That extra 3/4" or so could make a difference trying to wrestle a full size spare tire out of there.

Wingnut426

I have 6 covers. 2 without tabs and 4 with tabs. The 2 without tabs stick out 1/2 more than the ones without tabs. I looked all over them for part numbers, nothing. WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

472 R/T SE

Edit.  The 69 & 70 were the same.  I thought the overhangs on the cast bezels was a '70 only thing.

Imo, they cast the tabs over the tops of the lights to keep from knocking the light outta the socket, (albeit having a cover shouldn't have mattered).

Im just now getting back into the hobby but I've read the reproductions are deep to keep confusion to a minimum?

Kowal

Here is a good discussion from a while back.    The progression on the covers is none on the '68's, deep on the early 69's and shallower on the later '69's and '70's.    Mine is an early 69 and I know from first hand experience that the shallow covers, which are the ones you can still find reproduced, aren't deep enough to fit the early 69's with their larger overhand

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,115464.0/all.html
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

69hemibeep

Petroleum and supply chain issues has shut down a manufacturer in our area that makes plastic parts. The guys at Mrmoparts told me they picked up the tail light cover molds before they outfit closed do to the lack of materials. There might be some laying around somewhere because they supply the other vendors also. I have an original for my daughters car but its rough.

Kowal

Here are my tail light housing and the original plastic cover that came with the car, its a little banged up but given that they aren't reproduced I think its great!

Car is a early September, 1968 build.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69hemibeep on July 28, 2022, 08:16:42 AM
Petroleum and supply chain issues has shut down a manufacturer in our area that makes plastic parts. The guys at Mrmoparts told me they picked up the tail light cover molds before they outfit closed do to the lack of materials. There might be some laying around somewhere because they supply the other vendors also. I have an original for my daughters car but its rough.
:icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:   DAD
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69hemibeep

Quote from: moparstuart on July 28, 2022, 01:32:30 PM
:icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:   DAD
Oh shit he found me. After we dropped you off with the circus I didn't think you could find us. LOL

moparstuart

:rotz:
Quote from: 69hemibeep on July 28, 2022, 01:38:31 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on July 28, 2022, 01:32:30 PM
:icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:   DAD
Oh shit he found me. After we dropped you off with the circus I didn't think you could find us. LOL
:rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Kowal on July 28, 2022, 08:10:07 AM
Here is a good discussion from a while back.    The progression on the covers is none on the '68's, deep on the early 69's and shallower on the later '69's and '70's.    Mine is an early 69 and I know from first hand experience that the shallow covers, which are the ones you can still find reproduced, aren't deep enough to fit the early 69's with their larger overhand

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,115464.0/all.html

I did not know they started putting the tabs over the lights in '69.  All i had to do is realize my cars an August, second week of production '70 and it has several '69 items, tail light lense, etc., including the tabs, smh.

My mistake. 

Without reading that link, when in '69 did they start putting the tabs over the lights?
I just know theres 2 covers and not a one fix all.
I read at the Registry guys buying them so I took for granted they were the deeper ones since they worked for us which only made sense...then again thats more material, lol.

Wingnut426

Are you guys confusing the metal protrusions on the lamp bezel with the "tabs" on the black plastic cover? The tabs I'm referring to are at the bottom of the big plastic cover and screw to the trunk floor. WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Wingnut426 on July 29, 2022, 08:47:57 PM
Are you guys confusing the metal protrusions on the lamp bezel with the "tabs" on the black plastic cover? The tabs I'm referring to are at the bottom of the big plastic cover and screw to the trunk floor. WINGNUT

Prolly my fault.  I struggle using the correct words.  2 strokes and 5 days in a coma messed me up...I apologize.

Im talking about the over head tabs Chrysler designed for the tops of the pot metal tail light assemblies that required a deeper cover.

My purple car doesn't have a cover but AllBlueRT had its.  

EDIT

Old buddy Bill Dallas pointed it out years back when GG didn't believe him that they made different covers.  Hes the one who told me they were different between the years.  My fault for not researching more.  Hes the one that told me they didn't have the shrouds on '69s.  He was the best mopar painter/restorer in Portland.  I apologize.  I hate when people give out the wrong info!
My '70 has the long bulb shroud altho its a August 19 car (no reflectors in tail lights either).

Kowal

Quote from: Wingnut426 on July 29, 2022, 08:47:57 PM

I don't think so.   Two types of black covers, shallow and deep.   Based on the size of the overhangs (or tabs?, or hoods?) on the tail light housings which was early 69 versus late 69/70.    Also, some of the covers had plastic tabs on the bottom which were screwed in to the trunk sheet metal holding the bottom of the covers in place, some had no tabs.   Not sure what the order is on those were.

The cover in my trunk, an early deep one, had the tabs.   I actually trimmed them off because I knew I would never reach down to screw them down, and one of them was partially torn.

b5blue

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Daytona R/T SE

I ordered one from mrmoparts a few weeks ago.

Today, I got this email from them:

"I will be refunding the money on this order as due to the cost of plastic the part is temporarily not available. We will be looking at the cost of the material in the 4th quarter."

So- there are none, period.

Mytur Binsdirti

Mytur Binsdirti

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on August 17, 2022, 11:31:33 AM
What are good used ones fetching these days?

I don't know - do good used ones actually exist ?  :shruggy:

I've got a short stack of bad used ones laying around here...somewhere...

I might have to bust out the pop rivets and duct tape and do a little splicing.

:hack:  :buff: