News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aluminum water pump housing questions

Started by 375instroke, August 08, 2022, 04:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

Are there any that look like '68-'71?  The only ones I can find are patterned after the early Hemi housings with the tall thermostat outlet, early alternator bracket boss, and driver's side temp. sender.  The extra alternator boss can be ground off, but it looks like there isn't enough meat to relocate the temp. sender at only .17".  The place it's at now is .40".  I guess a reducing bushing in the extra hole is my only option.

GreenMachine

Another difference is the heater hose fittings. Your old one is '70-72 with 1/2" and 5/8" holes. The aluminum housings are '69-down with both being 5/8" holes. I'd just use your old one.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

375instroke

kilrbee

There is enough material to drill and tap the temp sender in the 69 location, I have done it. I have also found that the aluminum housings are about an 1/8" or so thinner in the overall thickness of the housing (i.e. mount pads to the block to the water pump mount face) which will trow off your pulley alignments.