News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The season is almost upon us...

Started by lloyd3, August 19, 2022, 09:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

That would be Fall!  A great time to take your un-airconditioned musclecar back out of the garage (where it's been hiding from the heat). Dropped my son off at collage Wednesday, my wife leaves to help her sister and family get back to school & normal Saturday, and that leaves me completely unencumbered and largely unsupervised for the next 5-6 weeks. Gasoline has come down just a little (no accident, as there is an election looming) and I must fend for myself for a while. Guess which car I'll be taking out to the various dinner options around here (burgers, steaks, sushi, Mexican, bar-be-que)?  It's been a summer of challenges here, and blessings as well. I've lost 3-people to the grim reaper, but I've launched my child (successfully, I hope) and gotten myself in a better place mentally to face the future. The challenges will continue, of course, but I'm steeled to what I'll need to do to face what's coming. The good and the bad.

I'll be chasing mountain grouse in the hills starting September 1st (Blues!) and catching trout and grayling alongside them. I'll be planning trips to the great white north for even more of that (ruffed grouse, pheasant & walleye), I'll be outside walking the dog and prepping my home for the changing seasons, and getting in shape for chasing big game in November (deer & elk), and I'll be driving my car on the backroads here on the good days (& there will be plenty), listening to the sounds of a bigblock going up and down through the gears. I'll be another year older in January (& hopefully a little wiser). Bring it on!

b5blue

I hear ya! This will be the first Fall in a long time with no drastic agenda. For me in FL. the heat is the issue.  :scratchchin:

6pkrtse

I drive mine all summer long. At least several times a week.  As it cools and Fall starts to settle in. I even drive it more, right up to winter. If no snow, I still drive it in the winter. I have driven it on Christmas and even New Years Day before in Michigan winters when we don't have snow.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

dreamcatcher

I have had a few of my old cars with AC and never used it. I have to have the windows down to get the full sound! Well that and the 8 track at full volume  :lol:
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

I added A/C to mine, drove to the SoCal Spring Fling.....changed to a Borgeson steering box, then the cam went flat and the car has been idle since June. Waiting on machine shop guys sucks!

dreamcatcher

Well hope you get it back to running soon. To me fall is the best time to cruse. I know some of the steel is not as good these days. I have been lucky I guess and have not had cam failure so far. I have a friend who has had a very good machine shop for over 30 years. He only warranties the old engines if people run Rotela  15 40 diesel oil in them. He told me that because it is designed for diesel engines it has more additives than most car oil. Now I don't run it in mine but I know a lot of people who do. And they swear by it. I like Castrol GTX. They claim to have more zinc than the more common brands. But I don't use synthetic which most do anymore.
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

Dano 1

The NC summer heat and humidity is just barely showing signs of breaking but realistically we have a good few more weeks of serious heat. Having grown up up North I find the southern climate is about the exact inverse from the North as far as cars go - I drive the 'fun' cars way less in the summer but can reasonably drive them most/all of the winter as opposed to putting them away in October and not seeing them again until May.

A/C is on the list for me but I agree with dreamcatcher:
Quote from: dreamcatcher on August 19, 2022, 02:07:08 PM
I have had a few of my old cars with AC and never used it. I have to have the windows down to get the full sound! Well that and the 8 track at full volume  :lol:

Driving with the windows up just isn't as fun.
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

cdr

Quote from: Dano 1 on August 24, 2022, 12:38:03 PM
The NC summer heat and humidity is just barely showing signs of breaking but realistically we have a good few more weeks of serious heat. Having grown up up North I find the southern climate is about the exact inverse from the North as far as cars go - I drive the 'fun' cars way less in the summer but can reasonably drive them most/all of the winter as opposed to putting them away in October and not seeing them again until May.

A/C is on the list for me but I agree with dreamcatcher:
Quote from: dreamcatcher on August 19, 2022, 02:07:08 PM

Driving with the windows up just isn't as fun.

on this day it was over 100 deg, it was STILL fun driving :) https://youtu.be/6BBTd5yMvFQ
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

b5blue

Nice video! I sweated 20 years till I installed A/C. What a game changer for Florida, everywhere I went folks noticed my windows are up!  :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

Quote from: dreamcatcher on August 24, 2022, 11:06:47 AM
But I don't use synthetic which most do anymore.

Talking with Dwayne Porter, he feels that even synthetics are prone to cam failures. I am living proof of that. Here is why....
I used REDLINE synthetic with ZDDP. The label made it seem like it was a good oil but it was also a high detergent blend.
High detergent and zinc are a poor combination because as the zinc tries to cling to the moving parts, the detergent tries to clean it off.
Heck, I didn't know. I was fooled by the packaging and thought a synthetic with ZDDP would be a great choice. It was not.
Dwayne suggests "Driven" oil, formerly called "Joe Gibbs".
Oh, another thing....
Dwayne is opposed to additives. He states that the additives may conflict with the chemistry in the oil to either negate any benefit from the additives or actually make matters worse.
Buy the proper oil, use no additives, LOW detergent if any at all and no extended periods of idling.
I didn't know about the conflict of oil and additives. For years, I've poured in a bottle of Comp Cams break in supplement and I was doing fine....THEN I switched to the synthetic and within a year, the cam went bad. 10 or 11 lobes were failing, 4 were almost gone entirely.

dreamcatcher

Yep its kind of a crap shoot (mostly crap  :smilielol:) I remember years ago when you could buy non-detergent oils. A lot has changed I guess.

472 R/T SE

So many know it alls for oil.

Get after it boyz.