News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Woodward Cruise 2022.

Started by hemi-hampton, August 20, 2022, 11:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi-hampton

Did anybody go to the Woodward Cruise this Year :scratchchin: :shruggy: LEON.

hemi-hampton

TheAutoArchaeologist

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/collections/72157720988386368/

I was there for a week.  I was on Woodward almost every night... But I was a bit busy with some events.

Charger_Dart

I was there, lots of good stuff to see!
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

Dino

I've lived in south east Michigan for 15 years, and I've never been.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

6pkrtse

I was out there many nights including Saturday. It was by far the worst cruise years ever. So many daily drivers and newer cars. All the cool cars are usually parked. Yes, still alot of cool cars. Just almost not even worth going anymore.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

hemi-hampton

Yes, too many Daily Drivers cruising. BUT, Some high performance Muscle Cars can't stand sitting in Traffic for hours barely moving & wanting to over heat. My 70 Charger had built Motor & Cheetah Manual Reverse Valve Body & Transgo Shift Kit & 3,800 rpm stall Converter & 4:56 Gears (soon changed to 3:91) & 850 Holley double pumper dual feed (Soon changed to 800cfm Edelbrock Performer) My newer Jeep cruised nicely. The flamed hood gave it somewhat of a Hot Rod look.

hemi-hampton

Anybody know what this Car is :shruggy: :scratchchin: LEON.

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 09, 2022, 08:20:08 PM

Hi LEON,              17 September 2022

We'll take a stab at it: A VW Bug chassis; old / newer version. The exhaust is kind of a giveaway.

It looks like a kit car, albeit a nice one.

Sure has a fat set of meats on the rear.

Otherwise, we "ain't gottta" clue.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

PS:
We've edited this four times now. This PS is the last. Thanks LEON for putting up with us.
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 20, 2022, 11:24:21 PM

Hi LEON,             17 September 2022

The Charger in the top photo has what appears to be a blue accent stripe. We think that is really tasteful looking, especially on the Charger, the most beautiful car ever built.

Any idea who the owner is? We'd like to own it. We have an Extra Hemi waiting for it. Can't stop looking at it.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 426HemiChick on September 17, 2022, 04:40:36 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 09, 2022, 08:20:08 PM

Hi LEON,              17 September 2022

We'll take a stab at it: A VW Bug chassis; old / newer version. The exhaust is kind of a giveaway.

It looks like a kit car, albeit a nice one.

Sure has a fat set of meats on the rear.

Otherwise, we "ain't gottta" clue.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

PS:
We've edited this four times now. This PS is the last. Thanks LEON for putting up with us.

ON THE TRUNK IT SEZ 32 VALVE NORTHSTAR, WHICH I BELIEVE IS A CADILLAC MOTOR.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 426HemiChick on September 17, 2022, 05:03:28 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 20, 2022, 11:24:21 PM

Hi LEON,             17 September 2022

The Charger in the top photo has what appears to be a blue accent stripe. We think that is really tasteful looking, especially on the Charger, the most beautiful car ever built.

Any idea who the owner is? We'd like to own it. We have an Extra Hemi waiting for it. Can't stop looking at it.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

I forgot the owners name but pretty sure it's the same car I'm familiar with. The one that won fastest car shootout at Woodwards legal Street Racing last year or maybe 3 years ago. Same car I've seen at some car shows. Same Car that has Twin Turbos & motor built by famous racer Steve Grebeck (rip) A real sleeper car that does like 8 seconds (1/4) on the street. If you were to put your extra Hemi in it that would slow the car down. LEON.

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 18, 2022, 12:33:32 AM

ON THE TRUNK IT SEZ 32 VALVE NORTHSTAR, WHICH I BELIEVE IS A CADILLAC MOTOR.

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 18, 2022, 12:39:39 AM

I forgot the owners name but pretty sure it's the same car I'm familiar with. The one that won fastest car shootout at Woodwards legal Street Racing last year or maybe 3 years ago. Same car I've seen at some car shows. Same Car that has Twin Turbos & motor built by famous racer Steve Grebeck (rip) A real sleeper car that does like 8 seconds (1/4) on the street. If you were to put your extra Hemi in it that would slow the car down. LEON.

Thanks LEON,                18 September 2022

1. Yes, you are correct, NORTHSTAR is a Cadillac/GM motor/engine. Cool looking car. We're sure that little guy will get with the program. Probably needs wheele bars.

2. That's even better, all we'd have to do is buy it and transport it home to Phoenix. Scott's now permanently here so we could go get it at a moments notice, and we'd still have a spare Hemi. We can't stop looking at that Charger. That car is as "Bad Ass" as it gets, which is giving us ideas for our Road Runner, which will never match a Charger (68 - 70) for looks. They are the Cat's Ass.

If you find out who owns it, find out if he would like for it to have a good home where the sun shines 350 days each year, maybe 6 inches of rain per year and generally 10% humidity, which is not a good place for rust to thrive.

Will PM you.

Take Care Sir, Thanks Again

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi LEON,            18 September 2022

Your Message box is full. Couldn't PM.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 426HemiChick on September 18, 2022, 01:36:45 PM
Hi LEON,            18 September 2022

Your Message box is full. Couldn't PM.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

OK, I just deleted a few, try again. LEON.

hemi-hampton

Pic I took of the engine way back in 2010, 12 Years ago. LEON.

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 18, 2022, 06:22:22 PM
Pic I took of the engine way back in 2010, 12 Years ago. LEON.

Hi LEON,               18 September 2022

Thanks for the additional photo. Looks like it has a Hemi, Bad to the bone. We'd like to have that car. It would give the Phoenix street racers something to think about: 8 sec quarter. That's in funny-car territory. The photo of the gentleman driving it appears to be in our age category. Well, at least he has gray hair.

One of my bucket list items is to get pulled over, at the age of 82+ for going at least 150+ mph while street racing in a 54 year old Dodge. That charger would fill the bill.

I'll resend the PM as soon as I finish this post.

EDIT: PM sent 2200 hrs MST

Thanks again LEON

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

hemi-hampton

It sez Moran on the Valve Covers, Morans a Engine Builder here in Michigan, could sworn before that said Grebeck Racing. LEON.

P.S. funny car-territory was  Steve Grebecks cars. Like 6.7 in 1/4 with a small Block Mustang.

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 18, 2022, 11:58:44 PM
It sez Moran on the Valve Covers, Morans a Engine Builder here in Michigan, could sworn before that said Grebeck Racing. LEON.

P.S. funny car-territory was  Steve Grebecks cars. Like 6.7 in 1/4 with a small Block Mustang.

Hi LEON,                18 September 2022

It's been awhile since we paid much attention to what was going on in the Drag Racing world. Want to do something more than just work on the cars. At 82 my time is limited. Want to finish up doing something that 99.99 % of folks near my age wouldn't think of doing.

EDIT: Whoever came up with that Blue stripe is a genius. It's simple, not gaudy, and adds an aura of Elegance.

Take Care LEON, and Thanks

Best Always

Chris for the 426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 18, 2022, 11:58:44 PM
P.S. funny car-territory was  Steve Grebecks cars. Like 6.7 in 1/4 with a small Block Mustang.

Hi LEON,                02 October 2022

Here it is the second day of October 2022. Just think of it: History is being made right now, this date will never happen again.

Remember taking our new 1968 Hemi Road Runner to Dragway 42 West Salem Ohio on one of the two sunny days that year (the sun was peaking out that day). Ran her through the 1/4 with an eye popping 13.72 run I believe (can't remember the zact time). Didn't have a tach-O-meter so I shifted by ear. Tough to do when one is almost Deef. Was disappointed with that time.

Eventually bought a Tach and took the RR out where we could run it without fear of alarming the Fuzz. Asked my friend to watch the Tach for me and remember the RPM where I shifted. When I got "done did" with that run, he said I shifted at 4K RPM.

I remembered reading that the correct shift point was 6K RPM. Gave it a try. Once past the 4K the good ole Hemi took off like a Male rabbit chasing a female bunny in heat. Wow, that was fun. Now it was time to find some street racing, you know, the legal kind w/o the fuzz being around. One of the nice things I did was to substitute 383 emblems for the HEMI ones that graced the hood. The HEMI emblem on the trunk lid had already been "purloined" before we bought the car.

Now we went street racing with a renewed pride in our HEMI Mopar. We didn't loose any races, but of course we didn't race much. We were satisfied with the performance of our RR and her HEMI. We got lots of comments on how good our 383 sounded and ran. Every once in a while an astute car person would bend down and look under the car. They'd see the large Hemi Orange oil pan and the jig was up. She didn't rack up a lot of road time; about 4 weeks and 4405 miles and we tore her down to do some serious racing.

The serious racing never did occur for the RR. Bought a 69 440-6-Pack into which we transplanted the RR's Hemi. In some ways this was a huge mistake. We ran the Hemi once on the strip, and it spun a rod bearing. Took it home and tore it down. Crank and two rods destroyed. Ordered new parts, started the rebuild when my job changed from working in Ohio to living and working in Japan. Pickled both of the engines (440 and Hemi) and went off to Japan for another 3 year stint.

Returned in 1972, too lazy to work on the RR and 6-Pack, so went looking for Hemi Cars. Flew around the country hitting various Mopar dealers that had used Hemi cars. Drove them and found them to be run out junk. Then one day my friend Tom, a biker now deceased, came over. While I was showering he was looking through the Akron Beacon Journal Auto For Sale section and found a Hemi Daytona For Sale. The rest is history and has been written about in our original thread. That Daytona now owns Bob Jennings. It was the very best running car we have ever owned and we are certain it still is a great runner today. It just won't be subjected to the high speed runs we used to make on the Interstate Highways of the mid 70's.

We had also bought a 70 Hemi Cuda 4-spd. Our opinion of that car was that it was a POS. Sold it in 75, new owner totaled it in 76 or 77. Wish now we'd have kept it, but the dislike for it made getting rid of it reasonable at that time. Never knew what happened to the owner and/or the driver. A friend saw me one day and said they saw it in a junk yard rolled up in a ball. Still have the registration slip for it. Have run the VIN numerous time to no avail. No clue as to the whereabouts of the Hemi and its 4-spd. We've posted the VIN in one of our threads; no one has ever mentioned anything about the engine. It may have been scrapped or parted out.

We'd be working on the RR and 6-pk if my knees were in better shape. They seem to be getting "worser" by the day. Saw one doc here recently. He sure didn't give us a warm fuzzy with his exam and vague consultation. Have an appointment 20 January 2023 with a great doctor recommended by Doctor Betty Davis my dermatologist, who was recommended by Doctor Clint Brunner who is a friend of ours and a member here and is also owned by a 69 Daytona and many other beautiful and rare cars.

We're hoping we can wrangle a cancellation sooner than later as I really need to get the knees replaced ASAP; they are worn out and probably don't have much usable time remaining. At 82 I don't have a lot of time remaining period and want to get the Mopar's back together and running. Would like to have some play time with them before the Big Boss above calls me home for a reconciliation on how I misspent my "Yout" and time here on this Space Ship. For certain ain't been no Angel and know I have a lot to answer for. Do know one thing for certain: My BS ain't going to cut it there. Guess I'll prepare for the "Worser" and hope for the "Gooder".

Getting late, time to rest my BS and get some sleep. Still need to take the pups out for their nightly romp. Good night Folks.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

hemi-hampton

Interesting story. I bet you wished you bought a 71 Hemi Cuda Convertible & kept that  :brickwall: They sell for much more then any Hemi Daytona :shruggy:  LEON.

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 02, 2022, 11:51:16 AM
Interesting story. I bet you wished you bought a 71 Hemi Cuda Convertible & kept that  :brickwall: They sell for much more then any Hemi Daytona :shruggy:  LEON.

Hi LEON,             02 October 2022

Unfortunately, I was in Japan during 71 with a 2 week visit home (Munroe Falls Ohio) courtesy of General Instrument Corp. Got home and wished I didn't have to go back. Made myself a promise to return the next year, which I did. The Hemi cars were no longer available except used. What I wish I had done was buy a Hemi Daytona in 69 and store it until now. Just a dream; my timing was off in that I left for New York to await my security clearance then headed to Japan.

Buying the Hemi Daytona in 72 was the next best deal. Loved that car and still do. Glad it decided to adopt Bob Jennings as its new parent/caretaker. The $$$ value of the cars was never an issue and still isn't. Chargers of that ere are the most beautiful cars ever to come off a production line. The Daytona was icing on the cake.

That photo you posted of the Black Charger with the Blue Stripe has given us the "We Want It" syndrome. That just looks Bad-Ass sitting there and from what you have written about it makes us want it even more. Current problem is we have little space left to store cars. We have 2 houses here, both with 2 car garages with only space for one car. The shop at Dena's truck business is full so no room there at present. Here at the house's we have two cars and a truck. Dena's Stang has dibs on the one slot in the garages so the Ram and the Interceptor get Driveway privileges. If we bought that Charger, we'd have some serious shuffling to do. Remember, we brought 36K + lbs here from Texas, not including the four cars Scott hauled here in May 2021; we had to leave some stuff behind as Scott's Semi trailer was packed full and it's a large trailer.

Some how it will all get worked out. The knees are sitting at the top of the "To-Do List" so hopefully I can get in earlier due to someone cancelling. "Hope Springs Eternal" ( a phrase from Alexander Pope's poem "An Essay on Man" ); never give up.

Thank You LEON. Hope we can get to visit with you in Michigan and Mike over in Kansas on our return from my 65th HS reunion September 2023. Hey, that's only 11 months away. My, how time flies when you're having fun.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

hemi-hampton

Both Lottery's here are at about $350 million, If I win either one I'll help you make room for that Black Charger by relieving you of 2 of your cars.   :rofl: :smilielol: :lol: :shruggy: LEON.

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 03, 2022, 10:05:15 PM
Both Lottery's here are at about $350 million, If I win either one I'll help you make room for that Black Charger by relieving you of 2 of your cars.   :rofl: :smilielol: :lol: :shruggy: LEON.

Good Morning LEON,              04 October 2022

Thank You LEON, you have a deal, and if we win, vice versa.

Have some good news on the knee front. Have a new appointment on 16 December 2022 with the Doctor's PA (Physician's Assistant). This will speed up the process as the preliminaries will be complete for the surgeon; still have my 20 Jan 2023 appointment with him.

Still hoping I can get things bumped up a bit more. I'd like to have both replaced by mid year so I can get to the reunion walking on my own. "Hope Springs Eternal." That also includes visiting you and Mike on our return home.

God Bless both You and Mike and your Families, Pets included as Family.

Best Always

Dena and Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks

6pkrtse

The black Pro Street 69 Charger is Don Vargo's. The cage and chassis was originally built by Grebeck. The engine and turbo set up was done by Moran. It is a 7 second street car. I have seen it run 7.80's with someone else driving as Don doesn't race it and he drives it all over to cruise nights. It is a very cool car.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

426HemiChick

Quote from: 6pkrtse on October 07, 2022, 01:50:13 PM
The black Pro Street 69 Charger is Don Vargo's. The cage and chassis was originally built by Grebeck. The engine and turbo set up was done by Moran. It is a 7 second street car. I have seen it run 7.80's with someone else driving as Don doesn't race it and he drives it all over to cruise nights. It is a very cool car.

Hi 6pkrtse,                  07 October 2022

We think your statement: "It is a very cool car." is the Understatement of the year!!!

Thanks for the info. Every time we look at a photo of that Charger makes us want it even more. There is something very elegant about it. First off, it's a Dodge Charger, second its clean lines, black paint and the Blue stripe and very little chrome; just enough in the right places. Whomever thought it up was a Master in our opinion. That would turn the heads of the street racing and car show crowds anywhere it goes. Think it would set the eyeballs to "poppin" here in Phoenix. If it were here it would never have to worry about salt or rust.

Thanks so much for the info. Now we have something to work with.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks