News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tappet/Lifter Noise after Rocker Arm Remove/Replace

Started by High School 69 Charger, September 29, 2022, 07:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High School 69 Charger

I just finished working on my car that solved two problems and created a new problem. I have a 69 Dodge Charger with 383 4barrel Vin H. My cold starts were getting increasingly rough and then I started also getting an exhaust sound from the Passenger side Head/Manifold area. I finally decided I would remove the valve cover, Rocker arm, and Manifold and then retorque the Head bolts. Indeed I found some turning at the 50lb torque and more at the 70lb torque. I made several final passes at 70lb and then reassembled. Holding my breath I started her up and Yippee, no exhaust sound and very smooth cold start. The best I ever remember.
My joy was short lived as I now have Lifter/Tappet Noise very consistently from that side. I have not yet re-pulled the valve cover to inspect but short of seeing the lifter rod out of place or bent, I am unsure what the next step would be. From the service manual there was some discussion of pulling the lifters and "priming" them in oil and compressing. Also, it suggested running with the valve cover off to try to isolate which lifter is causing the noise.
Any Advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

I did have a second issue but know its source. When I removed the Manifold both sleeved Nuts came out with the studs. The furthest back leaked out antifreeze when the stud came out. According to the manual this appears normal (as in not broken). Besides catching as much of it in a basin as I could, I realized some dripped down into the Exhaust Pipe and puddled in the pipe. Sure enough I bellowed fluid and smoke on start up. I don't know what to expect on how long it will take to burn off. I expect if it doesn't go away, then the Head gasket is blown but since I know the fluid got in the pipe I am hoping it will just take a good "hot lap" to burn it all off. Which I haven't taken it out yet beyond the driveway due to the lifter noise.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Martin
Martin

John_Kunkel

How many miles/years on the engine. Aged hydraulic lifters will often "varnish up" and won't reset after being disturbed. An additive like Rislone Engine Treatment will usually free them up.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

High School 69 Charger

Total miles is 110k.  Since last rebuild (which was on the Heads) is probably 15k miles but 30 years since that rebuild.  So a long time to varnish up.   
Sounds like you just put in an additive to help rather than trying to pull them out and clean/rebuild.
I will be at least pulling the cover today and seeing if I can identify and isolate the lifter in question.
I do remember a long time ago getting what I refer to as a stuck lifter which then did free itself up after a few more operation cycles.   I had not thought then to use an additive.   I remember that being really loud at that time.
Thanks for the quick note.
Martin

b5blue

A small exhaust leak can sound much like a tapping lifter.

High School 69 Charger

I haven't pulled the valve cover yet.  Mainly, as I finally got that valve cover back corner to seal and not leak oil.  It pains me to break that seal.   Also, with the suggestion of the Rislone and looking at exhaust leaks, I thought I would just take a step at a time.   I did another tightening pass on the exhaust manifold bolts and added the quart of Rislone.   At first cold start it was still smooth which is so significantly better than before I started all this.  Also the large loud Exhaust leak sound is still gone.   The "Lifter Sound" didn't seem quite as loud when I started it but it was still there.   And I was still blowing a large antifreeze fog out my tailpipe.   So I took it out on the road to warm it up and get the oil (plus Rislone) flowing to see if it would dissipate the sound. After an embarrassing couple miles of fog the antifreeze problem literally "evaporated" and I am no longer have a white jet trail behind me.  One down but still the sound to go as it did not dissipate.   At this point, I am less convinced it is the lifter as it is a duller sound then high pitch metallic clicking so may still be exhaust or other.   I am heading to my local clubs car show on Saturday so I think I will take a bit of a gentle cruise to the show and seek out some more learned ear to help me diagnose.
I certainly appreciate the advice from forum which expanded my search beyond the lifters.

Thanks,
Martin
Martin

High School 69 Charger

Mystery Identified.   I have a bent pushrod on Cylinder 6 intake valve.   I would expect when i installed i did not get the rod seated in the Lifter and maybe had it on the rim.  Then on the first rotation when the cam lifted there wasn't enough room so it bent the rod.   Please share any other possible causes so I know what to try NOT to do next time.
I did identify a pushrod that I can get by Saturday.   I verified dimensions as 8.575 x 5/16".   Please confirm I can just replace the rod.  I really only need it short term due to some other work I plan to do.  So if long term its suggested to replace Lifter and Rod I can do that too.  Or is there more?
I did confirm I had the Rocker in correctly for oil lubrication and that all rockers had a nice pool of oil on them and all parts were well coated with oil.

Thanks for any suggestions and the help so far,

Martin
Martin

High School 69 Charger

Success!   We will just say I was a LOT more careful setting up the rods and torqueing down the Rocker Bolts.   The Dip Stick trick worked perfect and was then very easy to slide out after.  In addition, I used a Reading LED light on a flexible shaft.   With my 5v battery pack I could put that light right down the slot between each set of rods.   Then I could either see it straight up or use my phone camera where the Hood and the AC/Heater tubes got in the way.   I checked them during setup, then halfway through installing the Rocker Arm, and then again after it was set.  Then with the coil wire disconnected, I used my remote Start cable and cranked over the engine watching and checking the rods seated in the Lifter/Rocker arm.   None were loose.   Finally put the valve cover on and started her up.   Still much smoother than before I started the project with no exhaust sound PLUS....NO ticking.   Took her for a spin and it was so sweet to listen to the rear exhaust rumble and not a loud vibrating engine.   Will be nice to "cruise" into the car show tomorrow with no embarrassing sounds and trails of smoke.   Will be an awesome day in Kansas City with Sun and 70s

Thanks for all the advice, wisdom, and encouragement!

Martin
Martin

b5blue