News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A bit rusty?

Started by lloyd3, September 01, 2022, 03:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Lovely here last night, so I drove my car over for an evening visit at a friends place across town (didn't even take the dog as I had just cleaned all the windows). Even picked up a 6-pack (of hard cider) and had it in a cooler on the back seat (just like old times!). It was just dusk when I arrived and I had my running lights on (also like old times). The drinks were flowing and the '70s rock was playing in the background (nice when you recognize just about every song & artist). We had a good visit and I had exactly one hard cider (I had been looking for an English brand [Woodpecker] but nobody had it, so they sold me something else which I didn't much care for).  The evening wore on and I got tired (getting up at 5 will do that). The boys were well-tuned by the time of my departure (beer & good bourbon will do that too) and unexpectedly, the host asked me to "light-em up a little" when I left. Now....I tend to drive this old girl fairly conservatively anymore, and for all the usual reasons, so I asked my host if he was sure about that request (it's a nice quiet neighborhood and fairly upscale and I was certain his neighbors wouldn't exactly appreciate the excitement) but he was adamant. So....OK, I picked up my cooler (and my empty) and walked over to the car, climbed in and started her up. Haven't used the headlights in a while and for some reason my highbeams wouldn't light up at first. I got out to confirm that and then cycled the floor-switch several times and then they started to work (oxidation in the switch? don't drive this car much a night anymore).  Climbed back in and collected my thoughts (I'm older now, wearing funny sandals, & I've been drinking...I wouldn't normally do such a thing, is this wise?). I thought about it some more, released the parking brake, and started to roll away from the curb and onto the street (which sloped slightly downhill). When I had her all lined up I picked up the revs a bit and dumped the clutch. All I wanted was a nice chirp, but instead it just started wailing. All the car windows were down and I smelled tire smoke immediately. It didn't try to cross-up (thankfully) and I quickly got off of the gas and clutch and just let her roll away, taking the most expedient way home (instead of my favored back roads) for all the added traffic (like I was going to blend in, right?). FWIW, the ride home was uneventful.  I just hope his wife will still talk to me the next time I see her.  I seem to remember being able to control such an event with much more aplomb in my younger days.

Kern Dog

:2thumbs:

As a kid, I remember telling people that when I got old enough to drive, I was going to peel out whenever I wanted.
I got older and have lived up to that goal. I love it. I don't care what the tires cost, I like to peel out.   :yesnod:

b5blue

Just like with me riding motorcycles. Now the law is take a 350.00 course and change your D.L. certification. The school helped me recall what had been second nature in the 70's-80's. My 70 is a rehabbed dragster so never as nice as your Charger. I've declined every request at flogging.  :lol:   

lloyd3

B5: I normally do as well. Since I don't drive one of these cars regularly, I know I don't possess the skills I used to have when I drove one every day (and fairly hard). The difference between a 25-year old and a nearly 65-year old is that the older man knows all-to-well what the consequences for a mishap will be.  Not sure what got into me? A 440 is still a torque monster (that is easy to underestimate) and a 4-gear requires more than a modicum of skill to operate properly in the heat of the moment. Oh well...no harm and no-foul (unless I've been banned by his wife). This car seems fairly tame to me (compared to some of the versions I had long ago) and the stock set-up, running through the stock exhaust can make it seem fairly generic even. It was kind-of fun though, reminding me of so-many hot summer nights back then. I'm just disappointed that I don't have the finesse that I once had.

KD: My brother's '06 Stage 3 Rousch Mustang's back tires still don't last very long anymore, so you're not alone in your resolve. They just aren't much fun if you can't turn them loose once in a while...

Back N Black

I light up the tires every time I drive my charger. That why I built the motor with 550 torque. But not in town, usually on a back road. :2thumbs:

lukedukem

Quote from: Back N Black on September 02, 2022, 07:43:03 PM
I light up the tires every time I drive my charger. That why I built the motor with 550 torque. But not in town, usually on a back road. :2thumbs:

Same here.
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC