News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power Steering question

Started by C500, September 06, 2022, 09:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

Hi folks, without my car here, I can't check... soooo, can anyone advise on the size of the hose for the return line on the power steering unit? Its a 69 Charger. Thanks!
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Kern Dog

Every one that I have seen is a 3/8".

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Davtona

I think its actually a 11/32" hose. Special hose as some hoses will deteroriate from the steering fluid. From what I remember its fairly thick walled. 

Kern Dog

:eek2:   Yeah, good luck finding a store that stocks that size. 3/8" is 1/32 larger. Yeah, the hose clamp can still work on it.   :nana:

Davtona

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325089661211

It's not so much about the hose size specifically. Agreed 3/8 would work with a screw type clamp. Questionable with the original tension style clamp I would think though. Its more the hose type. A normal rubber hose will fail eventually. Power steering fluid reacts to some hose material and will cause it to disintegrate. Takes a while but it can happen.

C500

Quote from: Davtona on November 07, 2022, 09:04:43 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325089661211

It's not so much about the hose size specifically. Agreed 3/8 would work with a screw type clamp. Questionable with the original tension style clamp I would think though. Its more the hose type. A normal rubber hose will fail eventually. Power steering fluid reacts to some hose material and will cause it to disintegrate. Takes a while but it can happen.

Thanks all. I got a 3/8 hydraulic hose, high pressure. doing the job nicely