News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Air Filter Height

Started by GreatOne34, September 03, 2022, 06:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreatOne34

Hello Charger Gurus,

My question of the day is concerning air filter height. I am looking to get a little more clearance to the hood. Would a 2" tall filter be a detriment as opposed to a 3" tall filter. Car has 440 with a mild street cam. Your wisdom is, as always, greatly appreciated. I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.

Mike K

metallicareload99

Welcome aboard! What carb and intake are you using? I'd go with the tallest air filter that'll fit. I was able to fit a 3" element with a Holley, phenolic spacer, and a Holley Street Dominator intake. Switching to fuel injection, same everything else, I could only manage fitting a 2" element :drive:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

GreatOne34

Hello,

My Charger has an Edelbrock performer 750 w/matching intake. Currently have a 3" filter, but top of filter housing is rubbing on hood pad. That is why I was thinking about 2" filter. I appreciate your time and hope you have a great day.

Mike K

Q5XX29

Are you using a "drop base" with your filter? They make several variations that lower the base plate different amounts and you can gain quite a bit of clearance for a taller filter that way. Just need to be sure the drop base clears all of the carb lines and linkages.
dakota_gt on Instagram

GreatOne34

Yes sir, I have the drop base filter housing. I am thinking the edelbrock manifold has a bit of rise to it compared to a stock intake. That might be part of the issue as well. Again, many thanks for your time responding to my little question. I hope everyone has a great day.

MK