News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do I get Door glass out??

Started by AKcharger, September 18, 2022, 08:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I'm betting there's a way to leave the track and regulator installed and just get the glass out...Factory manual is useless. Suggestions??  :shruggy:

71charger_fan

There are disc-like retainers that should have phillips screws. Just run the window up and down a little to get access to those and the glass comes free and just has to be finagled out of the top of the door. There are longer plastic protrusions that make it difficult, but not impossible, to wiggle it out of the door.

AKcharger

OK are those the 3 Phillips head screws, 2 aft and 1 fwd? I tried the aft top and it just spins and doesn't come out?

AKcharger

Yup, all the plastic nuts are spinning and when I lower wi down so I can get a grip on nuts Phillips not accessible

71charger_fan

I've had to drill a couple out over the years. Scares the crap out of me because I'm scared that I will shatter the glass. Can you reach around to the outer side of the glass and hold the other side firmly enough with your fingers? I may have a few of those short phillips screws, I'll have to check.

"OK are those the 3 Phillips head screws, 2 aft and 1 fwd?"

I thought I remembered it as 2 fwd and 1 aft but I may have it backward in my head. Not an uncommon occurrence.

AKcharger

Those screws are stuck, finger pressure doesn't work.

71charger_fan

I went out and looked at a spare door and a spare side glass. I think it's two fwd and two aft. Here's a look at the retainer into which the screw is threaded. The retainer has a rubber cushion between it and the door glass. Given the slots in the retainer, maybe a small pair of 90-degree needle nose would hold them. The "snout" showing on the second photo of the retainer sticks through a hole in the glass.

CDN72SE

Does this help? Saved a few pics of this cut open door I found on the web.

1972 Charger SE

AKcharger

- 71 copy, thanks Sir!!
- CDR at 1st I thought "holy smokes...he cut his door open for me" lol...thats perfect!! Need to sticky

hemi-hampton

Quote from: CDN72SE on September 22, 2022, 12:17:02 PM
Does this help? Saved a few pics of this cut open door I found on the web.

I cut doors open like that all the time when I got to remove the parts from a damaged door to a new replacement door on a nicer newer car in the Body Shops I've worked in. Just makes it easier, I hate the tight no room no space inside Doors, extremely frustrating. LEON.

AKcharger

OK, got glass out. I used vise grips on the "nut" and turned it while I kept Phillips head in place, seemed to work better than turning Phillips head

Note: after last screw glass will fall immediately and smash anything below it...like a thumb!

71charger_fan

That cut open door is missing the large black rubber block that goes under the glass so it doesn't shatter if it falls down.

CDN72SE

It's there in the middle of the bottom of the glass, looks a little red.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

AKcharger

revisiting again to install, that cut door phot is worth a million $$