News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

good shock replacement

Started by r4daytona, September 22, 2022, 08:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

Was cleaning under my charger and saw that my drivers shock was leaking.  Can anybody suggest a good replacement?

426HemiChick

Quote from: r4daytona on September 22, 2022, 08:26:12 AM
Was cleaning under my charger and saw that my drivers shock was leaking.  Can anybody suggest a good replacement?

Hi r4daytona,               22 September 2022

We were tempted to be smart asses and say: "A new one" but we didn't. Think Bilstein is the name of the ones we use, which are Yellow and work great on our Ford Interceptor. They are proud of their shocks and price them accordingly. Replace as a pair if doing one axel and they should be close to stock in performance.

If you buy the Bilstein HP versions, replace all four. You might find the ride a bit stiffer; think you will like the result.

Sorry, we don't give "Money Back" guarantees on our advice. Our advice is worth exactly what we charged you for it.

Take Care and Good Luck.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

r4daytona

Thanks, yes I planned on replacing both. As far as the color, I can always paint them to look stock  Thanks and I'll check them out.

66FBCharger

Hi R4daytona,
These are the shocks I bought and installed on my '69 Charger R/T. They are firm but not uncomfortably firm. I would recommend a look at these.

https://www.firmfeel.com/b_body_mopar_shocks.html

John
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

chargermick

I replaced all 4 shocks this past spring. I did a lot of research, and decided on the Bilstiens. A little pricey at $100 each but I could not be happier. BIG difference in the ride. Hope this helps.

b5blue

I got Monro-Matic's and they work just fine.  :lol:

426HemiChick

Quote from: chargermick on September 22, 2022, 04:46:27 PM
I replaced all 4 shocks this past spring. I did a lot of research, and decided on the Bilstiens. A little pricey at $100 each but I could not be happier. BIG difference in the ride. Hope this helps.

Hi chargermick,               24 September 2022

Good Choice. From what we have read and our actual experience, the Bilstein shocks are Premier. They are pricy!

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

1970Moparmann

Quote from: b5blue on September 22, 2022, 05:17:07 PM
I got Monro-Matic's and they work just fine.  :lol:

I have tried KYB, Bilsteins and the Edelbrock ones.   I hope the Monro-matics are more comfortable!   Putting them on the Plymouth!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

b5blue

They work perfectly with standard R/T spec. suspension. (I have added an old school rear sway bar.) After 27 years I just drive, no racing.  :2thumbs:

426HemiChick

Quote from: b5blue on September 25, 2022, 11:12:25 AM
They work perfectly with standard R/T spec. suspension. (I have added an old school rear sway bar.) After 27 years I just drive, no racing.  :2thumbs:

Hi b5blue,                25 September 2022

Funny how we change as that number grows. Probably self preservation and common sense kicks in.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Old Moparz

I would go with a brand that I've been using for decades, Koni. My wife's brother in law worked at Koni from the 70's up into the early 90's & would be at all the major races for repair, tech, etc. He got a set of Hydraulic shocks for my wife's 1975 Duster that he said will last her longer than the car, & they did. She put almost 150,000 miles on them & they were fine but the car rotted away. They were adjustable, so it could be set up for your driving preferences. A couple of years later I got the same set for my 1971 Scamp & the ride was drastically better. They still make them & I am planning to get a set for my 1968 Charger as well as my 1969 Satellite.

Here is a link to the site that lists them for 1965 - 1972 B-Bodies.....

http://www.koni.ie/finder/

Lifetime warranty by the way.  :cheers:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

426HemiChick

Hi Bob,              28 September 2022

Forgot about them. Yes, they are good shocks and a lifetime warranty sure sweetens the deal.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks