News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holley Carb question

Started by Christianlondon, September 25, 2022, 06:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christianlondon

I have a 440 Stock engine that I'm going to add an Edlebrock Performer Intake Manifold to.
I am also considering a Holley Double pumper Carb.
Which is the best model to go for and does it make a noticeable difference?  :2thumbs:

mally69

RallyeMike

Not knowing what your setup is right now, keep in mind that the Eddy Performer intake is just a tick better than stock, and to really do much with a performance intake and carb you need a performance cam.

Holley has expected your question. Try this:

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/how_to_choose_your_next_holley_carburetor_/

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

XH29N0G

Choke or no choke?  It could make a difference for starting and warming up, especially when cold.

Ignition?  I have an MSD ignition and I think that helps the starting.

I am using a performer RPM manifold which is higher than the performer and requires a drop base air cleaner.

I like the double pumpers and think they make a difference in the way my engine runs. 

The carburetor size also depends a lot on how the car is set up (what gears, maybe manual or auto). 

I like the suggestion of a 750 Proform.  (You can overcarb and that is worse than undercarbing). 

With any carb, but probably moreso with double pumpers, you will need to dial them in and this takes some work, or someone who knows what they are doing. If you do not know how, there are sources to learn it, and we can help. 

I am not using a proform, but have heard good things about the proform carburetors. I had a nice quick fuel 830 with a choke horn that I think would run pretty similarly to the 750 and be OK for you.  I would be careful about going much bigger, but know those can work if set up. 

Final note: I really like the Holley style carburetors because they can be tuned in a number of ways.  An Air fuel gauge can help with some, but it also can add information that if interpreted the wrong way will send you the wrong way.

Good luck
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

b5blue

Proform 750 on a CH4B intake fairly stock 440. Vac sec. I removed the electric choke for a manual choke. Had to up size jets for crappy gas.