News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Local Dodge dealer won't sell parts for old cars

Started by 375instroke, September 26, 2022, 01:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

They said they needed my VIN to look up parts, then said they can't look up parts for something that old, so beat it.  WTFudge?

70 sublime

You ever try going into a NAPA store anymore ??

Same way unless you can tell them exactly year make and model so they can plug it into a computer and hope they find a listing

Meanwhile the old guy that used to work there could just go grab one off the shelf because there are 3 of them sitting there  :brickwall:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

A383Wing

Quote from: 375instroke on September 26, 2022, 01:49:40 PM
They said they needed my VIN to look up parts, then said they can't look up parts for something that old, so beat it.  WTFudge?

their job last week was, "Would you like fries with that?"

Kern Dog

Quote from: 375instroke on September 26, 2022, 01:49:40 PM
Tell the dude to piss off. Most parts guys are dorks that know nothing about old cars anyways.

RiverRaider

[ Most parts guys are dorks that know nothing about old cars anyways.
[/quote]

In the past couple years I have found more and more that women working at parts stores are both more knowledgeable and more interested in finding the correct parts.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

1970Moparmann

I had the same experience with a fan belt.   The old timer couldn't understand my frustration when I told him the size is on the belt.  He told me one is 45 minutes away do I want to go pick it up.  I said can you find one that is one size smaller, and he got really pissed.    There was no one else in the store, no phones were ringing...   He said it could take him 90 minutes to find one......  Unbelievable how it is now a days!   Between crap like this and the shitty parts they are selling.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

John_Kunkel

Quote from: RiverRaider on September 28, 2022, 07:08:20 AM
Most parts guys are dorks that know nothing about old cars anyways.

In the past couple years I have found more and more that women working at parts stores are both more knowledgeable and more interested in finding the correct parts.

[/quote]

Went into my local Autozone to get a cover gasket for a Dana 60, girl behind the counter said "must be a Hemi or 440 4-speed, eh?"
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Kern Dog

WINGMAN

Helps if you have the part number of the item you want. Not many parts for a 50 plus year old car will still be in the system. I was a tech at a Dodge dealership for years. Some 68-9-70 charger parts like the outer door handle-lower door hinge and hood hinge are the same as Dodge trucks up to 1993.   (Wingman)
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

Todd Wilson

I always love those places you go to get new wiper blades and they want the year make and model and then ask you if its an automatic transmission all to just find wiper blades. I guess manual transmission wiper blades are different! :shruggy:

I still go to a parts store thats been around 60 years. They have a computer but also have a row of old 5 inch thick books they look in a lot and within 30 seconds they have the part off the shelf or can get it ordered in. I may pay a little more then going to the O O O O riley or Analzone but its worth it!

Todd

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: RiverRaider on September 28, 2022, 07:08:20 AM
[ Most parts guys are dorks that know nothing about old cars anyways.

[/quote]

I find the local AZ / Advanced are managed by women...   who seem to know more than the guys there.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.