News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SuperBird damaged by Hurricane Ian

Started by Dave Kanofsky, September 29, 2022, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

QuoteAs to the 2 trashed wing cars, along with thousands of other cars. The current owners will be just fine. Insurance will make them whole less their deductibles. My thoughts are that the people who are probably really going to be upside down in a bad way are people who end up with them in a musical chairs game 5 years down the road. I don't see how everything on and in them won't turn to rust. Window and door hardware between panels, rust coming out of pinchwelds, rust inside panels, under the dash, everywhere. Maybe there is a miracle clean-up process but I would never want to own these cars. After a chain of ownerships, no one will say "yes I knew about the history." People down the road are likely going to be hurt badly.

This.  Those things will have to be COMPLETELY disassembled and dipped.  Even then I dunno if you can ever really keep the rust at bay again.  Saltwater is usually a death sentence for a car even if it doesn't die right away.  

:Twocents:

Sell them to Dennis McCarthy's movie car outfit in LA.   He can use them for 'Fast & Furious' and stuff.  The long-term rusting problems won't be an issue.  

They can respray & use the cars without even doing the whole tear-down-and-chemical-dip.  They'll just make the engine run with a Painless wiring kit and get on with it.  Probably the best outcome for everyone in the long run.  Get some usage out of these flooded cars as they are and don't stick some future owner with the problems.  Spare some other non-flooded Mopars the same fate.       

aerolith

Some good and BAD replies on this thread methinks!

This is Mopar's finest heritage you are talking about here...

If they were MY cars I would have them completely stripped down and every weld removed like a jigsaw puzzle.
Then I would spent 10 or 20 years putting them back together again.

Tongue in cheek comments about 'movie car' endings for the 'rarest of the rare' is not gonna help the owner 'or' future Wingcar owners.

These cars are 'DOOMED' is not a nice thing to read from fellow Moparmen and Women... :'( :'( :'(

We all know what can happen when cars get into the wrong hands... :slap: :slap: :slap:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

hemi68charger

Got a hold of the nephew of the owner Mr. Walton. I have offered to help in anyway I could. Sad thing about my Facebook post was it turned into a freakin' drama that it is apparent this guy has money to fix them and insurance, blah blah blah...  Dorks.. I wasn't asking for a stupid Go-fund me drive, I was asking if I could find this owner to offer assistance of restoring the cars when the time is right for him. Locating rare parts is the hard part, not financing it. Lordy....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 04, 2022, 05:01:13 AM
Got a hold of the nephew of the owner Mr. Walton. I have offered to help in anyway I could. Sad thing about my Facebook post was it turned into a freakin' drama that it is apparent this guy has money to fix them and insurance, blah blah blah...  Dorks.. I wasn't asking for a stupid Go-fund me drive, I was asking if I could find this owner to offer assistance of restoring the cars when the time is right for him. Locating rare parts is the hard part, not financing it. Lordy....

Hi hemi68charger,                04 October 2022

One of the major problems with the written word: The reader's misinterpretation of the author's intent. You're not responsible for a reader's ignorance. Your intent was good, you tried, that's all that matters.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

A383Wing

Quote from: FJ5WING on October 03, 2022, 05:13:30 PM

I've basically found it was whatever the dealer decided on was the best placement. probably not two dealers in the same region with the same placements.
Most of us have seen the pic with the plate bracket mounted on the top of the leading edge of the nosecone.

here's the template

Mike DC

QuoteSome good and BAD replies on this thread methinks!

This is Mopar's finest heritage you are talking about here...

If they were MY cars I would have them completely stripped down and every weld removed like a jigsaw puzzle.
Then I would spent 10 or 20 years putting them back together again.

Tongue in cheek comments about 'movie car' endings for the 'rarest of the rare' is not gonna help the owner 'or' future Wingcar owners.

These cars are 'DOOMED' is not a nice thing to read from fellow Moparmen and Women... Cry Cry Cry

We all know what can happen when cars get into the wrong hands... slap slap slap

I'm under the impression that those two flooded cars were non-VIN clones.  

If they are VIN cars, okay, movie car wrecking seems like a shame.  

But there still isn't any great option here.  

Drilling out every single spot-weld for 10-20 years?  Oh suuuure.  Easier said than done.     

And once you do that to a unibody it's not the same car.  It just isn't.   It might look nice but the metal properties get affected by all that cutting & welding.

Harsh truth:  The least-bad way to fix those flood cars is chemical dipping, and that may never be enough to stop the saltwater problems.  

hemi-hampton

sell them to me cheap if everybody worried about future rust. ::)

Mike DC

Imagine having a wing car for your winter snow beater . . .

b5blue

Why are there no lifts in the garage on original pic? 

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                04 October 2022

Only thing to say is that Florida and anywhere else close to the ocean "Ain't" good places for our beloved treasures. They are history, rare and diminishing. They belong in a safe environment; along the coasts is not a good place for them . . . . or our families and us.

Here in the desert (Phoenix) the humidity is low most of the time, little rain, maybe 8 inches per year. We do have some bad weather occasionally. The Dust Storm we had yesterday was windy, dusty and lasted about an hour. We get some hail every few years. Not like the stuff they get in the Fort Worth Dallas area; Grapefruit sized hail occasionally happens there. It can turn a parking lot full of cars into a junk yard right quick. Also has killed a few folks caught out in it.

Not trying to sell folks on the merits of Phoenix, of which there are many. There are other places in this country that have weather similar to ours and are probably less crowded. Hope no one in the future has to experience what the folks in Florida had to endure during this storm.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Mike DC

Those wing cars would be fine if they had been moved a few miles inland/higher ground.  The owner even moved some other cars.  It seems like the problem was failure to act early enough.  He ran out of time.  Either that or he really believed the cars would be safe because they were 5 feet above the floor.  (I wouldn't have trusted that.)

I mean, the last few hours before a hurricane landing . . . . it tends to be escalating chaos.  Businesses closing & emptying, power outages, traffic jams, wrecks, tow truck & EMS delays, everybody trying to find everybody else, everybody just thought of 10 other things they have to do, etc.  

If you wait until the classic cars are clearly in danger, that may be too late already.  If you live right near the beach then you probably need to be more cautious than that.  Nobody wants to get their classic car flooded but it still happens a lot.  

cudavic

Quote from: b5blue on October 04, 2022, 08:54:31 PM
Why are there no lifts in the garage on original pic? 

Because they got swept away from twelve plus feet of storm surge along with one hundred and fifty mile per hour winds.  ::) 

b5blue

Remarkable, I'm not challenging the validity just assessing the impact. (As someone who lives at what was forecast to be ground zero of Ian.) The first floor blowout walls also survived and that prompted my inquiry.  :scratchchin:

Old Moparz

Sad to see what happened but glad the owner was okay.

Leaving your window open in the rain is one thing, but turning a car into a salt water submarine is a disaster.  :-\  A while back there were cars from Hurricane Sandy that were destroyed. The one that was discussed on here was a Hemi Charger & how it was submerged & showed signs of rust almost instantly. It even came up in a VIN search as salvage. I would love to see these cars redone but not me. I wouldn't touch one even if I could afford it.

Hurricane Sandy Charger....
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=99727.0
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: tan top on October 08, 2022, 02:37:14 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMvbzhfNN4o   23 seconds into the video

Sand is piled up like snow drifts. It'll be a long time before that gets to any semblance of normal.

Impkidd

The gouge in the S'birds rear bumper rusted more since the first pics.

70 sublime

Not sure if you can see these pictures if you are not on FB but it shows the tow trucks and how they got the bird back on it's wheels

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=630991185177837&set=pcb.3347130495526872

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

StoneCold

StoneCold

StoneCold

StoneCold

DownZero

When they flipped it over the windshield was still there. The garage pic shows it missing. Wonder why.

hemi68charger

Quote from: DownZero on October 24, 2022, 02:06:45 PM
When they flipped it over the windshield was still there. The garage pic shows it missing. Wonder why.

Seems to me it is still there......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

70 sublime

Quote from: DownZero on October 24, 2022, 02:06:45 PM

Looks like the windshield wipers are still sitting on the glass in the garage
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green