News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SuperBird damaged by Hurricane Ian

Started by Dave Kanofsky, September 29, 2022, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

Did not notice in the small pictures but when they were posted here much larger I see the water leaking out of the car as it was turned over
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Charger_Fan

Man, those guys from G&C did a masterful mid-air flip on that Superbird!  :cheers: Very nice, not their first go-round at that. It's truly disheartening to see this kind of Mother's Nature's will inflicted on these two cars. My only hope is that these cars were "over-restored" in such a manner that any possible panel weld point is so caked in primer/paint/clear, that they may be impervious to the salt water scorns of what they were hit with.
I know, probably a pie-in-the-sky wish.  :crazy:
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on October 02, 2022, 12:33:19 PM
OK all u know-it-alls.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/591062792799916?s=yWDuG2&fs=e

The black striped Daytona was recently restored by Graveyard.  Worm did almost an entire show on it even interviewing the owner.  They mention having rigs for the kids.  Same people in the news photos.
Start 34:00 if u can't stomach Worm.

https://youtu.be/SEYPqoYPeSo

His Dad bought the black striped car for him @ 16 (original owner)..
Wheres yalls qualifications for calling out fake photos, lol.

I'm sorry Mr. & Mrs. Walton for the crap you might eventually read.  Awesome that the sentimental ones were moved.
I must admit, that did make me gag a bit...
But still I suppose it's cool that they had a Daytona in the day when it was sorta a "daily driver", I remember those days. I remember seeing Daytonas & Superbirds in normal city traffic now and then, into the early 80's. I used my own '70 Charger as a family hauler for around 4-5 years, into the early 90's...however mine was no Daytona.  ;)  But it is still way cooler than my '77 Vette play toy that shares the garage.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

GreenMachine

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Well the Superbird made an apperance at MCACN last week, and has already began its dis-assembly.  Next step is getting all the sand out and then dipping the car.

The Daytona has gone to a members shop in Florida to get restored.

https://youtu.be/fRUvs1AD488

70 sublime

So it sounds like the guy that owned the car when it got wet does not own it now ?

Did he take the insurance money and run now someone else bought it ??

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 28, 2022, 08:03:29 PM
So it sounds like the guy that owned the car when it got wet does not own it now ?

Correct, the new owner bought them outright.  No insurance claim.

70 sublime

Quote from: Devil on November 28, 2022, 10:33:27 PM

So the guy that owned both wing cars that got wet sold them both to the same person ?

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 28, 2022, 11:11:29 PM

So the guy that owned both wing cars that got wet sold them both to the same person ?

Correct

70 sublime

Mytur Binsdirti

Make you wonder if they were not insured or underinsured.

b5blue

For the best I say. Get them saved, time is wasting.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 03, 2022, 01:12:29 PM

They were both fully insured, just if it had gone through the insurance they would have been totaled.  Neither owner wanted that.

Make you wonder if they were not insured or underinsured.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: tan top on December 19, 2022, 04:03:06 PM
  :popcrn:     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhwvyePLBaU

Sorry, I forgot to post the update here.  In a few weeks when it gets back from the strippers I'll post the update.

AKcharger

Cool! will be interesting/scary to see it come out of dipping. I've NEVER see one come out that wasn't swiss cheese

WINGIN IT

Saw a pic of the transmission they sent to Brewer's to rebuild, and there was already corrosion build up in the gears. Ugh.
Every nook and cranny is going to have to be attended to.

AKcharger

at least they are moving along rapidly on it...someone has deep pockets

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,            24 December 2022

In our not so humble opinion, the Bird's and Daytona's that ended up submerged in ocean salt water and tossed around by the hurricane will never command the big bucks they would have, had the hurricane landed in "Worshington" DC rather than Florida.

The body damage did expose some preexisting rather dubious body repairs. Once the repair work is done they will make nice daily drivers.

It's a shame this happened but what can one expect when they choose to live in "Hurricane Alley" with their valuable cars. The climate and its high humidity will eventually do them in. Nice place to visit and that's about it. We do sympathize with all those that suffered anything do to the hurricane. 

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

hemi-hampton

Curious what these dubious body repairs were? :scratchchin:

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

426HemiChick

Hi Ernie,                24 December 2022

Thanks for finding it and posting. I remember seeing it and didn't think too much about it at the time. Had it not been for the hurricane damage, the damage may have remained undetected and the next buyer may have gotten burned. Just shows when one is buying one of these jewels, do a thorough inspection by a respected authority.

Take Care Ernie.

Wishing you, your family, friends, pets a Very Blessed Christmas and New Year !!!!

God Bless You and all the Members here.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemi-hampton

Most restored cars are full of Bondo, Many Members here will show their cars being restored here at the Body shops showing it in fresh layers of Bondo. Bondo many times needed to get a car straight. Mostly a thin layer over entire car or most of car unless you got a really straight car, unlikely. When I did brand new Show Cars for Chrysler, we skimmed coat entire car & these had zero miles. BUT, I did notice this car did seem to have some unnecessary excessive thick Bondo in some locations & what seemed like old rust hiding under paint, looked to old & extreme to be recent rust from the hurricane, not a good sign. Also, the new Trunk Extensions were never properly coated which caused more rust. not good. I was under the impression done right the first time, who did it the first time. Anybody that wants a car done just to flip will have the work done as cheap as possible. because if you go all out to do it right, you won't make any money flipping it. :Twocents: :shruggy: :slap: LEON.

cdr

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 25, 2022, 03:26:13 PM
Most restored cars are full of Bondo, Many Members here will show their cars being restored here at the Body shops showing it in fresh layers of Bondo. Bondo many times needed to get a car straight. Mostly a thin layer over entire car or most of car unless you got a really straight car, unlikely. When I did brand new Show Cars for Chrysler, we skimmed coat entire car & these had zero miles. BUT, I did notice this car did seem to have some unnecessary excessive thick Bondo in some locations & what seemed like old rust hiding under paint, looked to old & extreme to be recent rust from the hurricane, not a good sign. Also, the new Trunk Extensions were never properly coated which caused more rust. not good. I was under the impression done right the first time, who did it the first time. Anybody that wants a car done just to flip will have the work done as cheap as possible. because if you go all out to do it right, you won't make any money flipping it. :Twocents: :shruggy: :slap: LEON.

You are correct as usual !!!!! BUT this one did get flipped lol, well not really funny 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

TheAutoArchaeologist

IT'S BACK!
The hurricane bird came back from Redi Strip last week.
For the most part it is what we thought it was and that is a car that was restored 10-12 years ago with what was available at the time. Partial quarter panels and a 2 piece trunk floor.
Here is the plan:
We will jig the body before removing any major structural panels.
We will replace the quarter panels with new full panels
Replace the trunk floor with a 1 piece panel
The trunk floor extensions are an old style reproduction with no drain holes, we will replace those also.
The rear body panel and the rear bumper reinforcements are not very good so we will replace those also.
The roof will be replaced and the roof structure will be straightened as it is pushed down 1/2".
The LH door skin will be replaced, the RH door will be repaired
The RH fender will be replaced, the LH fender may be repaired if we can't find a better one.
The trunk lid is nice.
The hood may be replaced, not sure yet.
Both rear frame rails are going to get replaced due to poor previous repairs. we will be using factory original parts for those.
The nose will need extensive reconstruction if we can not find a better one to use.
Follow along as the reconstruction continues!

FULL VIDEO walk around
https://youtu.be/stmHcMkI_5w