News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger 500 fender filler rubber trim

Started by DAY CLONA, September 30, 2022, 03:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAY CLONA

Guys, I'm researching/sourcing a possible vendor again, for "correct" rubber trim on the fender fillers, over the years I've offered rubber trim of various shapes to go along with my repro C500 fender fillers, but nothing close to the OEM stuff...I had a close up pic of the profile, but it's lost, possibly on my old computer "melt down"...I know I got the pic off this site, unfortunately the search function is like the pic posting nightmare on here...perhaps someone has a pic to share?....

Thanks
MikeG  

nascarxx29

The Y2 500 being restore by nicks had a post showing that trim
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

richRTSE

C500

The front edge on thse ebay ones is sharp. I bought a set, and very disappointed.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

DAY CLONA

Quote from: C500 on October 02, 2022, 10:44:37 PM
The front edge on thse ebay ones is sharp. I bought a set, and very disappointed.

Care to elaborate?, are not these NOS?, or did you receive something else not pictured?, or are "production" pieces different?....

MikeG

hemi68charger

Mike, I have some NOS examples from my former Charger 500 days.... . I can email them to you? I have your phone number on my phone, but it may be your home phone...

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

C500

Quote from: DAY CLONA on October 03, 2022, 11:03:36 AM
Quote from: C500 on October 02, 2022, 10:44:37 PM

Care to elaborate?, are not these NOS?, or did you receive something else not pictured?, or are "production" pieces different?....

MikeG

The shape on front edge is totally wrong, my 500 and every picture I have seen shows them have a rounded edge, but these things have a pointed edge.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

RallyeMike

The "sharp" or "pointed" edged stuff on that eBay sale looks like the trim on an original car I have seen, and exactly like the NOS stuff I bought a decade ago which I compared side by side with that original car.

So.... either the rounded trim that people think is original is actually not original, or perhaps Creative used more than one source?

The shape and size of the original rubber is so unique that I think nobody is going to have it. At one point I spent a lot of time looking myself. It's either NOS or someone needs to step forward and have a roll specially made.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

69_500

The trim on my car is original.  I also have 2 sets of NOS rubber trim pieces. They are not rounded at all.

C500

Quote from: 69_500 on October 03, 2022, 06:50:28 PM
The trim on my car is original.  I also have 2 sets of NOS rubber trim pieces. They are not rounded at all.

OK, thanks, good to know. Danny, the trims you have are all like the ones here?

69_500

69_500

here is an original one on a car.

69_500

another original on a car.

C500

OK, those pics are great. I should be grateful for the ebay ones now  :icon_smile_big: . I wonder if Creative used 2 different profile rubber fillers. Thinking about abandoning my 'rounded' ones, and putting the sharp edge ones on now.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: C500 on October 03, 2022, 07:32:57 PM
OK, those pics are great. I should be grateful for the ebay ones now  :icon_smile_big: . I wonder if Creative used 2 different profile rubber fillers. Thinking about abandoning my 'rounded' ones, and putting the sharp edge ones on now.

You've got to remember, these cars were sourced to an outside vendor, sometimes employing people and parts sourced as quickly needed to turn out a rapid number of vehicles to meet a quota, they were not really concerned with "correctness" or quality control....   

C500

Quote from: DAY CLONA on October 04, 2022, 11:35:21 AM
Quote from: C500 on October 03, 2022, 07:32:57 PM

You've got to remember, these cars were sourced to an outside vendor, sometimes employing people and parts sourced as quickly needed to turn out a rapid number of vehicles to meet a quota, they were not really concerned with "correctness" or quality control....   

Abolsutely  :2thumbs:

69_500

I have located less than 25 cars that have their original rubbers. Most have partial ones, and not the complete rubber. However, I have yet to find any original ones that do not match the ones I posted pics of.

C500

Quote from: 69_500 on October 04, 2022, 07:33:41 PM
I have located less than 25 cars that have their original rubbers. Most have partial ones, and not the complete rubber. However, I have yet to find any original ones that do not match the ones I posted pics of.

your knowledge is invaluable  :cheers:

69_500

Quote from: C500 on October 04, 2022, 09:37:50 PM
Quote from: 69_500 on October 04, 2022, 07:33:41 PM

your knowledge is invaluable  :cheers:

Hardly. My knowledge is nothing more than anyone else's. I was just the weirdo who starting paying attention to 500's many year ago.