News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl top glue removal help

Started by AKcharger, September 28, 2022, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Ok, trying to find the best way to get this glue off, it's kinda "new" installed in 2009 so a bit challenging.
So far best way is "rub" it off, comes off and leaves surface nice and clean but takes FOREVER...like 15 min per 1/2 sq. Foot

If tried:
- sanding, it loads the pads up immediately
- I've tried acetone, it works but mostly dissolves the glue a bit and spreads it around
- wire brush...scratches up surface a lot and still leaves residue
- green scrubby...like sand paper loads up immediately

Any tricks???

Thx!

b5blue

AKcharger

Quote from: b5blue on September 28, 2022, 06:56:41 PM
Heat?  :shruggy:

had it out in sun and does help to make it "rub off" a bit easier but still slow

Gold Rush

Actually, The heat idea is close.  I used a torch to heat and partly dry out the glue.  Worked very well for me.  Of course my old top was VERY OLD !!
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

RTSE440

Mineral turpentine soak a rag then soak the glue with the rag and wait a few minutes then scrub with the rag repeat over and over   :eek2: believe me it works

CDN72SE

I know it's a large area but what about suing some Goo Gone and perhaps a plastic razor blade?
1972 Charger SE

AKcharger

Solid suggestions, will try all..thanks guys!

73rallye440magnum

The 3M vinyl decal remover rubber eraser wheel works very well.

The remaining residue, adhesive remover from your local paint supply. Wear proper PPE.

Sharp razors work very well also.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

hemi-hampton

AKcharger

Follow-up!
So I used a hybrid approach. Laid cloth on work area, soaked it with Acetone and let it sit, then pulled it away and using a razor blade scraped glue away before acetone dried. Sand remaining glue with D/A

Thanks!