News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Update on new Daytona rear glass

Started by Stevearino, October 10, 2022, 08:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Okay. So I started a thread here a little while ago trying to get a hold of a Daytona rear glass for my new clone project and I got few responses but realized that I would not need one. To be safe I would at least need two to assure the owner of the project that he would have a back up should anything ever happen to the one installed in the car.  To that end I have been talking to someone who is currently waiting for pricing bids to produce 30 pieces of glass in one go. It will be a couple of months until he gets the quote. At that time he will determine if he will put in the order. To that end he wanted me to put this information out there to see how much interest will be there to purchase some of the glass to make his investment worth the effort. I told him that depending on the price I would probably be interested in two. I also said I would post this here to get some idea as to how many other people would be seriously interested in buying some of this glass. Post comments below. If it gets to the point where the deal is a go I will get everyone interested the relevant information.

Thanks
Stevearino

DAY CLONA

Sounds like good news Steve, I have several customers who will need to step up to that offer if it comes to fruition, they're all currently searching for glass, new/used/repro....As I've always said for years, don't assume repro of any kind will always be there when you want them, buy them and spares if possible, "otherwise you'll find yourself on the outside looking in" and that's where we are currently regarding Tona' glass....Superbird glass is in the same boat....

MikeG

426HemiChick

Hi Stevearino, DAY CLONA ,                10 Oct9ber 2022

Depending on the price, put us in for two. We do not know what a reasonable price is at this juncture. We bought two about 20 some years ago for about $250.00 each. They were laminated glass w/o etching. Never used them and they were sold.

The guy that offered them for sale said he could produce them if he could get orders for 200 backlights. He produced them so he must have gotten the order filled.

Now it seems to us, some of those windows must be out there somewhere. There surely weren't 200 Daytona's in need of new backlights. Willing to bet there are at least 100+ sitting in multiple folks garages or storage containers, long forgotten.

Even if that's the case, it doesn't do anyone that needs one right now any good. So the solution is enough orders for backlights so they can be produced at a reasonable price that will allow the producer to make a reasonable profit. We don't mind joining in, never know, we may one day decide to buy another Daytona.

That being said, let us know if and when you have concrete pricing and shipping. We think we can find enough room for at least two.

One of our old sayings: "You can't have too much stuff," holds true . . . . until it's time to move.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Edited 11 Oct 22 2057 MST
Added the word price in the first sentence of the post.
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Kowal

As I noted in my Facebook response to your project, I would definitely be interested.  

My rear glass was scratched up decades ago in a repaint when the car was cloned to a Daytona.    When it was restored back in '09 -'11 to its original C500 configuration the same rear glass was used.   I would love to replace it.

Had a chance for an OEM rear glass when I first bought the car in 2011 and should have done it, but I guess I wasn't thinking clearly, has haunted me ever since!!!
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

richRTSE

I would be interested in one.... If the price is reasonable, maybe 2. :2thumbs:

70 sublime

Hmmm reasonable price ?

Thought about it over night before I replied

If they are less than $1000 each I would get 2 just to have for a maybe project
$1000 to $2000 maybe 1 glass

More than $2000 each probably not and just use a vega hatch instead
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                  11 October 2022

Just got to thinking about the backlights we ordered 20 or so years ago. If I remember correctly there was an article in the DSAC newsletter about the offer to make backlights. This was probably around 1998, 26 years ago. The reason I seem to recall that era is where my office was located when the backlight's were delivered. I was sitting at my desk, the doorbell rang and a female UPS driver was hightailing across my yard heading for her truck. That was the delivery of the first backlight, which had fork lift tine holes through the middle of the package.

There were details in the article/ad with ordering info. If anyone has a collection of those old newsletters, they might look through them two or three years worth both sides of 1998.

Hope this helps.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Stevearino

REPRODUCTION REAR WINDOW FOR DAYTONA
I posted a while ago about an effort to get a run of 30 reproduction rear glass's for the Daytona and inquired here about possible interest. I am sorry to say that that effort is officially dead now based on the glass vendor thinking 30 was not worth the effort and 50 was two expensive for the individual footing t he bill. So it is back to the drawing board for now. So disappointing.

nascarxx29

FB other day had a used real back glass and a nos window plug  asking a value
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

KurtfromLaQuinta

AZMoparMike

Count me in, I should probably consider getting back glass to go with my NOS daytona window plug incase I ever do anything with it  or part with it.

hemi68charger

Depending on the price, I'm in for one too........  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69 500

IMO , if anyone really believes that it possible to reproduce a "QUALITY" rear glass for the Charger 500 or the Daytona , and sell  for $1000.00 - $3000.00 is not even close to reality , 1st consider the amount to be made , quality control , and how fast they will sell in a "niche" market, now try to find a quality vendor who is willing to tool up for 30 or 40 pieces of glass . just my opinion

cudavic

Wonder what it would cost to have this group make a few.
I realize that they would not have the proper window stampings or date codes however it does appear like they could do the job.
Disclaimer - I have no affiliation or experience with them.

https://www.curvedglasscreations.com/curved-glass-gallery

charger500440

Quote from: 69 500 on January 04, 2023, 09:25:31 AM

IMO , if anyone really believes that it possible to reproduce a "QUALITY" rear glass for the Charger 500 or the Daytona , and sell  for $1000.00 - $3000.00 is not even close to reality , 1st consider the amount to be made , quality control , and how fast they will sell in a "niche" market, now try to find a quality vendor who is willing to tool up for 30 or 40 pieces of glass . just my opinion

I admit I really have no idea. But I do have one question, where do the car customizing shops like Foose, Kindig-it and other get their glass from? These shops routinely cut and chop all manner of rare cars, they must be getting their tempered glass from someone. And these are often one-off creations. Just curious...
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

426HemiChick

Quote from: charger500440 on January 04, 2023, 06:41:53 PM
I admit I really have no idea. But I do have one question, where do the car customizing shops like Foose, Kindig-it and other get their glass from? These shops routinely cut and chop all manner of rare cars, they must be getting their tempered glass from someone. And these are often one-off creations. Just curious...

Hi charger500440,                05 January 2023

Very good question. Wish we had an answer. If someone had a new original 500 / Daytona rear glass it would be worth a fortune. Also it could be used to acquire the dimensions and etchings. We had two aftermarket rear backlights we bought years ago just in case something happened to the one in our Daytona. Nothing ever happened so we sold them when we sold our Daytona.

We don't know the production numbers for the 500's plus the 503 Daytonas, but there had to be glass out there somewhere. Where did it go? Knowing what we heard about Daytona nose cones, Creative had a bunch left over, eventually Chrysler made them destroy them. Same with the Lockheed SR-71, our "grate" defense secretary at the time, Robert McNamara ordered all parts and tooling for the SR-71 destroyed. We wonder whose side he was on.

Our guess is there are some out there, probably stuffed in an old warehouse, garage or someone's spare room in their house. The two we had sat in an unused bathroom of many years.

If our memories are correct, the gentleman that made or had made ours was having 200 made. They all didn't get used. Most Daytona's and 500's rarely see the open highways so broken backlights are probably a rarity.

We'd be willing to buy 2 if the price was reasonable, say $1K each. We have no use for them other than to help make a market for them.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Stevearino

Myself and Jim Davis are in the process of having a piece of original Daytona glass scanned in the next couple of weeks to get just 5 pieces made. After the original mold is made hopefully the price for each will be more reasonable. Hopefully under $2000.00 per panel. No etching and will be laminated glass. I let you know how it all works out.

sandwichrob2112

held1823

I know for certain there's at least one original rear window currently at Jim's shop.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

426HemiChick

Quote from: sandwichrob2112 on January 05, 2023, 10:52:11 AM
Jim Davis is the "THE MAN"  :2thumbs:

Hi sandwichrob2112,                       05 January 2023

Welcome to the forum !!!

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

sandwichrob2112

aerolith

How hard can it be?

I thought the glass was cut to shape whilst flat and then heated and carefully laid on a shaped mold...
Doesn't sound like rocket science to me?

Folks are still making glass all around the world for millions of cars etc.
Surely someone has a sideline operation for limited runs?

Oh well, like wind deflectors, its all getting rather tricky, to make this stuff any more...
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

charger500440

Quote from: aerolith on January 10, 2023, 11:50:28 AM
How hard can it be?

I thought the glass was cut to shape whilst flat and then heated and carefully laid on a shaped mold...
Doesn't sound like rocket science to me?

Folks are still making glass all around the world for millions of cars etc.
Surely someone has a sideline operation for limited runs?

Oh well, like wind deflectors, its all getting rather tricky, to make this stuff any more...

Maybe these folks can make them?

https://www.curvedglasscreations.com/contact

https://www.procurveglass.com/markets/automotive/

https://americanautoglassindiana.com/custom-auto-glass.html

https://www.customglasssolutions.com
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic