News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LED Headlights:

Started by Captain D, October 12, 2022, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi all,

Just curious to see where folks recommend purchasing LED headlights from, to ask please? Any positive / negative sites out there that you found were helpful, etc.? This may be my next project for the Base 69' Charger,  ;). For example, here is one such site:

https://vintagecarleds.com/

Thank you for any and all info!

armor64

I went with nothing as fancy as the all in ones, but i did the IPCW H4 glass housings, with LED headlight H4s for both low and high beam. the Aukee bulbs i got have no separate ballast, they have a h4 plug right into it. its not as nice as many i see now from Holley and the like, but all 4 housings and bulbs cost me under 100 Canadian, and are nice and bright, without the blinding glare i see with some setups.

WHITE AND RED 69

Be careful on the housing selection. Some will sell a housing that fits an LED bulb but is not meant for it. These headlights just scatter the light in random directions, which makes it brighter but not in a safe way. These are usually the cars that blind everyone since the light is everywhere rather than on the road. So try to find one built for LEDs. I personally like the projector housings since it helps focus the light rather than using the reflection in the housing to spread the light.

Here's the ones I have in my car. They have a modern look but they now offer an OE glass look as an option. They fit without any modification except that they did require a bulb with a 90 degree base to clear the headlight door actuator rod. Any other car would fit no problem. 

https://www.dapperlighting.com/products/575

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Captain D

Thank you for the replies,

White and Red 69 - any pictures of your new LED headlights on your car, by chance? Great find & thank you for sharing! Where did you get the better fitting bulb with a 90 degree? This Dapper Lighting site sells them or did you have to purchase elsewhere? Of course, I can always call them and ask directly too.

And good point, I've been on the receiving end of those crazy bright lights and it's never pleasant. Having them more focused on the road may be best. Plus, I'm all about saving amp draw, too. Thank you again for your time and info!

GreatOne34

Cap'n D,

I did the Vintage LED for my low beams on my 1969 Charger. The have a bit of a funky beam spread (in my opinion), but they light up the road and do not seem to blind oncoming cars. I have not been high beamed while driving and thy make a world of difference. I was also sold on them with the 25w draw as to not overload the stock wiring harness. Switch has not gotten hot at all while driving with them. The glass lenses are a great deal different from the originals if that is a concern for you. I did not worry as you only see it with the doors open. I was more concerned about safety while driving.

Mike K

Captain D

GreatOne34 - Thank you for the reply. So, you basically just went with the LED for low beams and standard Halogen for high beams? And, you feel that the LED / low beams (30W / 0.250A) were quite good enough for driving, etc.?

The halo flashing option seems like a nice upgrade to flash while making turns too...

GreatOne34

Cap'n D

The LED low beams from Vintage are actually 25w. The are great at night and I never use high beams. They are still the stock incandescent units. Even in the dead of night as they seem to attract the critters here in the country and I have hit enough deer in my truck that I do not want to have happen in the Charger. I upgraded the parking/turn to LED as well so I di not feel the need for the halo.

MK

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Captain D on October 13, 2022, 08:15:40 PM
Thank you for the replies,

White and Red 69 - any pictures of your new LED headlights on your car, by chance? Great find & thank you for sharing! Where did you get the better fitting bulb with a 90 degree? This Dapper Lighting site sells them or did you have to purchase elsewhere? Of course, I can always call them and ask directly too.

And good point, I've been on the receiving end of those crazy bright lights and it's never pleasant. Having them more focused on the road may be best. Plus, I'm all about saving amp draw, too. Thank you again for your time and info!

Here's some shots of them installed. The bulbs I got from amazon, here's the link. They are a tight fit with the headlight door actuator bar but it just clears it. The bulbs I got are the ultra white but you can get them in different brightness colors.

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-SEALIGHT-Design-Upgraded-Warranty/dp/B07HCZ7RZ6?ref_=ast_sto_dp

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Captain D

Red & White 69 - Nice, thank you for the pics! Your set-up looks fantastic. Sounds like you purchased the housings from Dapper Lighting (came standard as a set of four) then purchased 2 packs of the Sealight 90 degree bulbs. I would imagine that the Dapper set came standard with the bulbs or were you able to purchase the set *without the bulbs to help save some cash (since their standard bulbs don't fit anyway)?

GreatOne34 - Thanks for the update too. Here are a pair of low-beams from Vintage:

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/5-75-inch/vcm3-5-75-inch-led-headlight-kit/

This new updated pair seems designed for more compact vehicles, such as the 69' Charger. Was this part number (VCm3000) what you installed on yours that works so well?

Thanks again...

GreatOne34

Cap'n D,

I did the 3500 for my car. Not sure of the difference, but they had those in stock when I was ordering and I kind of needed them. So, I bit the bullet and ordered them. I do not regret at all. A very worthwhile investment. I hope this helps and that you have a great Monday. :coolgleamA:

Captain D

GreatOne34- Thanks again for your reply! And, you're right - I called Vintage and they too recommended the 3500 part number because not only are they brighter than the part number I listed previously (VCm3000), but also only 25w/2.083A, and the low-beams are all that you most likely ever would need (not even needing the high beams). Of course, I can purchase another set for the high-beams, but it would probably be overkill. Plus, they reported no fitting / installation issues of the 3500. They also recommended the 'standard economy lens' as it matches with the rest of the American / factory housing design for a good blend. Any pics of yours installed, by chance? If not, no worries. Thanks again for your time and input,  :2thumbs:    

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/5-75-inch/vc3500-classic-5-75-inch-kit/

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Captain D on October 16, 2022, 08:43:00 PM
Red & White 69 - Nice, thank you for the pics! Your set-up looks fantastic. Sounds like you purchased the housings from Dapper Lighting (came standard as a set of four) then purchased 2 packs of the Sealight 90 degree bulbs. I would imagine that the Dapper set came standard with the bulbs or were you able to purchase the set *without the bulbs to help save some cash (since their standard bulbs don't fit anyway)?

GreatOne34 - Thanks for the update too. Here are a pair of low-beams from Vintage:

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/5-75-inch/vcm3-5-75-inch-led-headlight-kit/

This new updated pair seems designed for more compact vehicles, such as the 69' Charger. Was this part number (VCm3000) what you installed on yours that works so well?

Thanks again...

I only did LEDs for the low beam since 99% of the time the highs aren't used. So for the high beam I just went with the standard bulb (these fit just fine) included in the kit. The halogen bulbs are included free of charge as the LED's they offer are an upgrade.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

GreatOne34

Cap'n D,

I will try and get some pics this weekend when I get the car back out. Since I do not know how to post pics, they will be an attachment that you will have to download.

MK

Captain D

White & Red 69 - Thank you again for your reply, my friend. Yours certainly do look fantastic and it helps to give me things to think about, :cheers:

GreatOne34 - Thanks man for your time and efforts. If you're unable to post pics, totally understandable and cool. I can always PM you my cell # to text pictures to if that's easier for you. However best for you, my friend.

All the best!

ODZKing

b5blue

Wow Holley wants 179 each. This is stupid money for a bulb used in 100's of thousands of cars for many decades. Like LED house bulbs were 20.00 each this will change just wait. Many forget standard bulbs do dim over time so buy new every few years.  :scratchchin:

GreatOne34

good Afternoon Cap'n D,

Finally got around to downloading the pics of the headlights and beam pattern. Another thing I liked about this product is the glass lenses. The Holley's have plastic lenses, something I am not a fan of. So, since I am photo posting illiterate, you will have to download the attachments to see the pics. Hope this helps  :2thumbs:. Have a great afternoon sir.

MK

Captain D

GreatOne34 - Yeah! Lookin' good, thanks man for posting - much appreciated.  :cheers: A lot of good choices to pick and choose from. Plus, this was a good thread w/ good info too. Decisions, decisions, lol...

AKcharger

So for cars with halos, how do they work? If they're put of the park circuit the doors will still be closed?

jasonjb75

1969 Dodge Charger - 383HP w/ 4-Speed